Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

21 minutes ago, DSVII said:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/canada-and-u-s-list-samidoun-as-terrorist-group-u-s-adds-canadian-to-terror-list-1.7074073

There we go. 

Let's see where Miss "Death to Canada" 's group gets their funding from. I have one big guess.

And it happened under a Trudeau liberal government, hmm..

Or are we gonna hand it to the police despite folks having condemned Trudeau? Seems like this is a stronger response than a tweet or three doesn't it?

Edited by Coconuts
  • ThereItIs 1

9 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It’s coming Bob…

Trudeau steps down and the Liberals can go into a 4 month leadership race which will make them look better. They can retract their positions which are not polling well for them and oust those from the innercircle who have ignored caucus for decades. Will that be enough? At some point they will have to defend their voting record. 

Inflation is not done and likely reasserts itslef this winter. The Canadain $ has cratered which will juice inflation. How well can Polievre attack the Liberal record without Trudeau as leader? My hope is that he can and will.  

16 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Trudeau steps down and the Liberals can go into a 4 month leadership race which will make them look better. They can retract their positions which are not polling well for them and oust those from the innercircle who have ignored caucus for decades. Will that be enough? At some point they will have to defend their voting record. 

Inflation is not done and likely reasserts itslef this winter. The Canadain $ has cratered which will juice inflation. How well can Polievre attack the Liberal record without Trudeau as leader? My hope is that he can and will.  

A majority of voters like the policies but not the man.

7 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Are we getting ready to pretend that most on here will be disappointed if JT finally steps down?

I'm just happy it's something different than him posting daily polling numbers 🤪

But seriously, assuming they can replace JT with someone competent, I'm all for it if it means there's a better chance at a conservative minority. Hell, maybe even a snowball's chance of an NDP one if people decide not to vote against their best interests. 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Are we getting ready to pretend that most on here will be disappointed if JT finally steps down?

Many who now call for Trudeau to move on are the same people who discounted any responsibility for his failures. They are sort of like the Liberals they read the polls and adjust policy to fit. Public discourse is superficial and that likely won't change until there is a economic crisis. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Boudrias said:

Many who now call for Trudeau to move on are the same people who discounted any responsibility for his failures. They are sort of like the Liberals they read the polls and adjust policy to fit. Public discourse is superficial and that likely won't change until there is a economic crisis. 

Most if not all left leaning people in this thread have been talking about jt leaving for two years.

Skippy is as superficial as politics get. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Boudrias said:

I can tell you this for free.

I read way more Liberal supporters that are willing to criticize JT than I do Con supporters willing to say a peep about PP, by a landslide.

And in this little forum, I have a hard time thinking of more than 2 posters that would be fine with JT staying on. 

So, go ahead and name the posters that you are describing. That way we can have proper public discourse. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 2

11 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

Probably that crowd was silenced because the Cons had continually self destructed by selecting awful leaders.  Not that Pee Pee is that great either but the public's tiring of Junior supersedes that at this point (imho).

• ThereItIs 1

18 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm just happy it's something different than him posting daily polling numbers 🤪

But seriously, assuming they can replace JT with someone competent, I'm all for it if it means there's a better chance at a conservative minority. Hell, maybe even a snowball's chance of an NDP one if people decide not to vote against their best interests. 

Bingo, keeping Trudeau just increases their chances of losing the next election 

Restructuring things removes a lot of the baggage that comes along with a tenured PM, and gives them a chance to re-evaluate their brand and approach 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Bingo, keeping Trudeau just increases their chances of losing the next election 

Restructuring things removes a lot of the baggage that comes along with a tenured PM, and gives them a chance to re-evaluate their brand and approach 

The biggest risk in a change now is what Jag decides to do.

The moment Trudeau steps down, PP will launch another confidence motion, so the earliest a leader change would happen is outside of parliament sitting. So maybe there's a window to do it over Christmas? 

But that only gives a new liberal leader a few weeks before the next conference vote.

So it would have to be a leader Canadians already know but don't link to Trudeau. Not an easy thing to do.

Then there's the question of how fast the party can actually choose a leader.

Time is getting very short for all this to happen.

And does Jag let it happen? 

Edited by Bob Long

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The biggest risk in a change now is what Jag decides to do.

The moment Trudeau steps down, PP will launch another confidence motion, so the earliest a leader change would happen is outside of parliament sitting. So maybe there's a window to do it over Christmas? 

But that only gives a new liberal leader a few weeks before the next conference vote.

So it would have to be a leader Canadians already know but don't link to Trudeau. Not an easy thing to do.

Then there's the question of how fast the party can actually choose a leader.

Time is getting very short for all this to happen.

And does Jag let it happen? 

Jag's a wildcard for sure, but I could see him waiting it out 

The Libs can play ball with the NDP, we've seen it already, I'm not sure helping PP does him or the NDP any favours

Edited by Coconuts

37 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Jag's a wildcard for sure, but I could see him waiting it out 

The Libs can play ball with the NDP, we've seen it already, I'm not sure helping PP does him or the NDP any favours

Yep.  NDP are best served by a Liberal minority.  Letting Poilivre destroy the country isn't in Jag's best interest.