Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

37 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Jag's a wildcard for sure, but I could see him waiting it out 

The Libs can play ball with the NDP, we've seen it already, I'm not sure helping PP does him or the NDP any favours

Yep.  NDP are best served by a Liberal minority.  Letting Poilivre destroy the country isn't in Jag's best interest.

Grats to the appointee.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/world/daniel-rogers-appointed-as-new-csis-director-5742007

Daniel Rogers, former deputy national security and intelligence adviser to the prime minister, has been appointed the new head of the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.

He succeeds David Vigneault, who stepped down in July as the ninth CSIS director after holding the position for seven years.

Rogers will officially assume his role on Oct. 28. Most recently, he has also served as deputy secretary to the Cabinet in the Privy Council Office.

Prior to that, he held several positions in national security and intelligence, including roles within the Communications Security Establishment, which is responsible for providing foreign signals intelligence to the government and safeguarding electronic communications.

Kevin Brosseau, currently associate deputy minister of Fisheries and Oceans, will step in to fill Rogers’s former role as deputy national security and intelligence adviser to the prime minister and deputy secretary to the cabinet.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Rogers’s appointment on Oct. 15 as part of a broader reshuffle in the senior ranks of the public service.

I met with CSIS a few times while working on my security clearance at the highest level available in Canada. The second or third meeting was at the CSE in Ottawa in a cartoonish bland room with a table and two chairs and a bare lightbulb hanging from the ceiling. In a billion dollar facility, that room was certainly purpose built, lol, but he assured me it was simply the only meeting room available on short notice. 
They were concerned that I never disclosed I already had this clearance in the 80s and 90's. Took me 20 seconds, viewing the document in his dossier upside down to point out that was my brother, six years my senior, and his clearance while working on the subs back east and at listening posts up and down the eastern seaboard. I was a bit snide when saying "The clue would be here, (tapped the upside down sheet of paper at the birthdate) and here (tapped it again at his first and middle names) lol. 
The embarrassed CSIS agent quickly flipped it closed and declared, "yes, yes, i think we are done here, thank you for attending on short notice". 

Funny thing, my family, both my parents held similarly high levels for their era in the 50s/60s and now my nephew holds it and does the same job I am retired from. It is a family affair sometimes, lol. Still back to the announcement: how cool would it be to head up CSIS, or the CSE, or CFIOG? I do envy my former bosses from time to time, as they got the whole picture involving some things i only got a few puzzle pieces to. 

EDIT: in reality, it was probably a different test: one designed to see if I would disclose any of my brothers real work secrets to see if our family was loosey goosey with our compartmentalized info. That is my best guess for the silly meeting about 3 months before my 'gamma' was granted to me. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Trudeau steps down and the Liberals can go into a 4 month leadership race which will make them look better. They can retract their positions which are not polling well for them and oust those from the innercircle who have ignored caucus for decades. Will that be enough? At some point they will have to defend their voting record. 

Inflation is not done and likely reasserts itslef this winter. The Canadain $ has cratered which will juice inflation. How well can Polievre attack the Liberal record without Trudeau as leader? My hope is that he can and will.  

The issue is he can't.

Like at all.

Because he has been campaigning for 13 months on anti trudeau.  Not anti liberal.

The moment trudeau is gone the race becomes very even and then it is down to math and facts and while the math isn't necessarily favourable to either the libs or cons, the facts are not in favour of the cons because the only fact they have is hair boy bad

5 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

The issue is he can't.

Like at all.

Because he has been campaigning for 13 months on anti trudeau.  Not anti liberal.

The moment trudeau is gone the race becomes very even and then it is down to math and facts and while the math isn't necessarily favourable to either the libs or cons, the facts are not in favour of the cons because the only fact they have is hair boy bad

I think any flight of fancy that Justin Trudeau is performing a "Horatius Cocles" for the party is just that, a romantic imagining of why he is still the leader of the party. 

I do not believe he is about to fling himself into the tiber for the sake of the party, hehe. 

Spoiler

Horatius Cocles

Roman legendary hero
Print Cite Share Feedback 

Written and fact-checked by 

The Editors of Encyclopaedia Britannica

Horatius Cocles, Roman hero traditionally of the late 6th century bc but perhaps legendary, who first with two companions and finally alone defended the Sublician bridge (in Rome) against Lars Porsena and the entire Etruscan army, thereby giving the Romans time to cut down the bridge. He then threw himself into the Tiber to swim to the other shore. Versions differ as to whether he reached safety or was drowned. The myth possibly arose in explanation of an ancient statue of a crippled one-eyed man (cocles means “one-eyed”) in the nearby Temple of Vulcan. The ancients claimed this represented the wounded Cocles, but it may be a statue of the god Vulcan, who was both lame and traditionally associated with the Cyclops (One-Eyed). The story is first mentioned by the 2nd-century-bc Greek historian Polybius.

22 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

Grats to the appointee.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/world/daniel-rogers-appointed-as-new-csis-director-5742007

I met with CSIS a few times while working on my security clearance at the highest level available in Canada. The second or third meeting was at the CSE in Ottawa in a cartoonish bland room with a table and two chairs and a bare lightbulb hanging from the ceiling. In a billion dollar facility, that room was certainly purpose built, lol, but he assured me it was simply the only meeting room available on short notice. 
They were concerned that I never disclosed I already had this clearance in the 80s and 90's. Took me 20 seconds, viewing the document in his dossier upside down to point out that was my brother, six years my senior, and his clearance while working on the subs back east and at listening posts up and down the eastern seaboard. I was a bit snide when saying "The clue would be here, (tapped the upside down sheet of paper at the birthdate) and here (tapped it again at his first and middle names) lol. 
The embarrassed CSIS agent quickly flipped it closed and declared, "yes, yes, i think we are done here, thank you for attending on short notice". 

Funny thing, my family, both my parents held similarly high levels for their era in the 50s/60s and now my nephew holds it and does the same job I am retired from. It is a family affair sometimes, lol. Still back to the announcement: how cool would it be to head up CSIS, or the CSE, or CFIOG? I do envy my former bosses from time to time, as they got the whole picture involving some things i only got a few puzzle pieces to. 

EDIT: in reality, it was probably a different test: one designed to see if I would disclose any of my brothers real work secrets to see if our family was loosey goosey with our compartmentalized info. That is my best guess for the silly meeting about 3 months before my 'gamma' was granted to me. 

You need to consider being a Canadian ian Fleming and write some fiction. Prime, optimist prime.

16 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

You need to consider being a Canadian ian Fleming and write some fiction. Prime, optimist prime.

wish i was a better writer, i tried a few times. I have 5 barely started manuscripts, lol. 

Also newsworthy this morning:

The Star

BREAKING NEWS

British, U.S. officials call on India to cooperate with Canadian criminal investigation

Wednesday, October 16, 2024. 11:38 AM EDT

Canada’s allies in the “Five Eyes” intelligence network are backing up the Trudeau government in voicing deep concern about allegations Indian diplomats are behind a campaign of violence, intimidation and even murder inside Canada.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, Satchmo said:

But he writes fiction with almost every post!

(How many laughing emojis do I need here to denote I'm just joking?)

I knew this comment was coming as i read the original suggestion, lmao. 

edit:and yes, i know i have very little filter, i will pull back my comments a bit. I often overshare and regret it later. 

• Cheers 1

I have already told the watch story a few times, which is 100% nonfiction. In my trade museum, inside a secure facility in Ontario, there are some historical artifacts related to secret squirrel stuff. I got to put on Ian Flemmings actual wrist watch from ww2 era. Leather straps, a bit clunky, but was a watch face with a compass under it, and a rudimentary radio signal direction finder under that. Within a few miles maybe of the transmission(probably half a mile in reality?), the direction finder would signal which way the radio was from the watch wearers location. Presumably one could then walk in that general direction for 20 minutes and probably find the transmitter and do what they did to them behind the lines in France. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

wish i was a better writer, i tried a few times. I have 5 barely started manuscripts, lol. 

Also newsworthy this morning:

The Star

BREAKING NEWS

British, U.S. officials call on India to cooperate with Canadian criminal investigation

Wednesday, October 16, 2024. 11:38 AM EDT

Canada’s allies in the “Five Eyes” intelligence network are backing up the Trudeau government in voicing deep concern about allegations Indian diplomats are behind a campaign of violence, intimidation and even murder inside Canada.

Nice to see actual support.

I wonder how Skippy will spin this as negative?

Just now, Gurn said:

And here we go:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/trudeau-says-he-has-list-of-tories-vulnerable-to-or-engaged-in-foreign-interference/ar-AA1slTOY?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fc27b0ab91ba4729b3b98a113772725f&ei=62

"OTTAWA — Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has refused to get the security clearance necessary to be briefed on a list of people in his party involved in, or vulnerable to, foreign interference, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a federal commission of inquiry Wednesday.

"I have the names of a number of parliamentarians, former parliamentarians and-or candidates in the Conservative Party of Canada who are engaged (in) or at high risk of or for whom there is clear intelligence around foreign interference," Trudeau said.

"I have directed CSIS and others to try and inform the Conservative party leader to be warned and armed," so that Poilievre could make decisions to protect the integrity of the party and guard members against attempts at foreign interference, he said.

Trudeau said Poilievre, however, has opted not to receive classified briefings — a decision that he finds bewildering.

He said it also means nobody can stand up for the people in question if the intelligence is poor, incomplete or simply contains allegations from a single source.

Poilievre has previously defended his choice not to try to obtain a high-level security clearance.

He has said it would prevent him from speaking out about what he has learned in secret briefings.

The Conservatives did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published Oct. 16, 2024.

--------------------------

another article

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trudeau-says-there-s-intelligence-on-tories-engaged-in-foreign-interference/ar-AA1snNUL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fc27b0ab91ba4729b3b98a113772725f&ei=36

"

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau suggested Wednesday that Canadian intelligence agencies have information that multiple Conservative politicians are "engaged" or at risk from foreign interference schemes.

In shocking testimony at the foreign interference commission Wednesday morning, Trudeau took aim at Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre for refusing top secret briefings on a national security threat that allegedly has penetrated his own party.

“Because I am prime minister and privy to all these informations, I have the names of a number of parliamentarians, former parliamentarians and/or candidates in the Conservative Party of Canada who are engaged or are at high risk of or for whom there is clear intelligence around foreign interference,” Trudeau told the commission’s lawyers.

“And I have directed CSIS and others to try and inform the Conservative Party leader to be warned and armed to be able to make decisions that protect the integrity of that party and its members from attempts at foreign activities around foreign interference.”

“The decision by the leader of the Conservative Party to not get those classified briefings means that nobody in his party, not him, and nobody in a position of power knows the names of these individuals and can take appropriate action,” Trudeau added.

Trudeau called it “bewildering” that Poilievre has so far refused to accept the briefings from Canada’s national security agencies.

Poilievre has argued that accepting the top-secret briefings would prevent him from asking questions about foreign interference in the House of Commons – something that has not prevented NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh or Green Party Leader Elizabeth May from receiving the information.

Justice Marie-Josée Hogue’s inquiry has previously heard testimony that parliamentarians have “wittingly or unwittingly” participated in foreign interference schemes – evidence that echoes the findings of an all-party national security committee of parliamentarians earlier this year.

But neither that committee nor Hogue’s inquiry has given any hint about who those parliamentarians are. The only sitting parliamentarian named in evidence before the Hogue commission is Han Dong, the now-independent Don Valley North MP who was elected as a Liberal.

“The fact that we see, and I’m getting a little more partisan than I tried to in this case, but it is so egregious to me that the Leader of the Official Opposition, who is certainly trying very hard to become prime minister, is choosing to play partisan games with foreign interference and accusations on foreign interference, but not taking it the least bit serious as regards to his own responsibilities as party leader, or even to get top officials within his party briefed up as they bring on candidates from across the country is inexplicable and, quite frankly, concerning,” Trudeau charged.

The Conservative leader’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

----------------------------

bit more at this link.

Uh oh. Skippy got some explaining to do.

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

The issue is he can't.

Like at all.

The amount money that has been invested in F Trudope stickers for lifted, rolling coal, 4 x 4 diesel pickups is one that the F Trudope crowd won't be able to recover from.  

image.jpeg.7daa9e4b3835577af58f5adda2566343.jpeg

Edited by the destroyer of worlds

Seems like all the Nancies who had their knickers in a twist over the recent pro-palestine demonstration in Vancouver are being pretty quiet about it now.....I wonder why?

https://globalnews.ca/news/10812072/samidoun-canada-terrorist-entity/

Canada has listed Samidoun, a pro-Palestinian group behind a rally where people chanted “death to Canada” and burned the Canadian flag in Vancouver earlier this month, as a terrorist entity.

70c8fc80

Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc made the announcement on Tuesday and noted that the listing was made alongside the U.S. Treasury Department’s own decision to list the group as a specially designated global terrorist entity.

“Violent extremism, acts of terrorism or terrorist financing have no place in Canadian society or abroad,” LeBlanc said in a statement.

“The listing of Samidoun as a terrorist entity under the Criminal Code sends a strong message that Canada will not tolerate this type of activity, and will do everything in its power to counter the ongoing threat to Canada’s national security and all people in Canada.”

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Gurn said:

And here we go:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/trudeau-says-he-has-list-of-tories-vulnerable-to-or-engaged-in-foreign-interference/ar-AA1slTOY?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fc27b0ab91ba4729b3b98a113772725f&ei=62

"OTTAWA — Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has refused to get the security clearance necessary to be briefed on a list of people in his party involved in, or vulnerable to, foreign interference, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told a federal commission of inquiry Wednesday.

"I have the names of a number of parliamentarians, former parliamentarians and-or candidates in the Conservative Party of Canada who are engaged (in) or at high risk of or for whom there is clear intelligence around foreign interference," Trudeau said.

"I have directed CSIS and others to try and inform the Conservative party leader to be warned and armed," so that Poilievre could make decisions to protect the integrity of the party and guard members against attempts at foreign interference, he said.

Trudeau said Poilievre, however, has opted not to receive classified briefings — a decision that he finds bewildering.

He said it also means nobody can stand up for the people in question if the intelligence is poor, incomplete or simply contains allegations from a single source.

Poilievre has previously defended his choice not to try to obtain a high-level security clearance.

He has said it would prevent him from speaking out about what he has learned in secret briefings.

another article

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trudeau-says-there-s-intelligence-on-tories-engaged-in-foreign-interference/ar-AA1snNUL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=fc27b0ab91ba4729b3b98a113772725f&ei=36

"

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau suggested Wednesday that Canadian intelligence agencies have information that multiple Conservative politicians are "engaged" or at risk from foreign interference schemes.

In shocking testimony at the foreign interference commission Wednesday morning, Trudeau took aim at Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre for refusing top secret briefings on a national security threat that allegedly has penetrated his own party.

“Because I am prime minister and privy to all these informations, I have the names of a number of parliamentarians, former parliamentarians and/or candidates in the Conservative Party of Canada who are engaged or are at high risk of or for whom there is clear intelligence around foreign interference,” Trudeau told the commission’s lawyers.

“And I have directed CSIS and others to try and inform the Conservative Party leader to be warned and armed to be able to make decisions that protect the integrity of that party and its members from attempts at foreign activities around foreign interference.”

“The decision by the leader of the Conservative Party to not get those classified briefings means that nobody in his party, not him, and nobody in a position of power knows the names of these individuals and can take appropriate action,” Trudeau added.

Trudeau called it “bewildering” that Poilievre has so far refused to accept the briefings from Canada’s national security agencies.

Poilievre has argued that accepting the top-secret briefings would prevent him from asking questions about foreign interference in the House of Commons – something that has not prevented NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh or Green Party Leader Elizabeth May from receiving the information.

Justice Marie-Josée Hogue’s inquiry has previously heard testimony that parliamentarians have “wittingly or unwittingly” participated in foreign interference schemes – evidence that echoes the findings of an all-party national security committee of parliamentarians earlier this year.

But neither that committee nor Hogue’s inquiry has given any hint about who those parliamentarians are. The only sitting parliamentarian named in evidence before the Hogue commission is Han Dong, the now-independent Don Valley North MP who was elected as a Liberal.

“The fact that we see, and I’m getting a little more partisan than I tried to in this case, but it is so egregious to me that the Leader of the Official Opposition, who is certainly trying very hard to become prime minister, is choosing to play partisan games with foreign interference and accusations on foreign interference, but not taking it the least bit serious as regards to his own responsibilities as party leader, or even to get top officials within his party briefed up as they bring on candidates from across the country is inexplicable and, quite frankly, concerning,” Trudeau charged.

The Conservative leader’s office did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

bit more at this link.

surprised-pikachu.gif

🙄

• Upvote 1

2:29 video at link

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/canadian-military-plane-ferries-air-india-to-chicago-after-emergency-landing-in-iqaluit/vi-AA1snv4k?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=cb59de5dab0642a4a194c4ba62bf667d&ei=47

"A Canadian Forces aircraft airlifted stranded passengers to Chicago after a bomb threat caused an emergency landing in Iqaluit. Air India said it, and other Indian airlines, have been subject to a number of threats in recent days

12 hours ago, Gurn said:

And here we go:

another article

"

bit more at this link.

@Elias Pettersson

@bolt

Y'all wanna maybe dredge up those old statements of yours and we can review them now or do y'all just wanna stick with what y'all said?

I didn't realize the CPC had been infiltrated by the PRC? Apparently Trudeau knows all about it. How about he releases the names of politicians and civil servants listed in the CSIS report given to him last spring? Is anyone listening to this guy anymore? 

8 hours ago, Warhippy said:

@Elias Pettersson

@bolt

Y'all wanna maybe dredge up those old statements of yours and we can review them now or do y'all just wanna stick with what y'all said?

"When questioned by Conservative Party lawyer Nando De Luca, Trudeau also said the names of Liberal parliamentarians and individuals from other parties are on the list of parliamentarians at risk of being compromised by foreign interference."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-foreign-interference-1.7354252

Why we ignoring this statement? It's curious to me that only the conservative party is being mentioned by media outlets when he clearly says it's not just one party involved.

Either way, names need to be released as soon as legally possible.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

I didn't realize the CPC had been infiltrated by the PRC? Apparently Trudeau knows all about it. How about he releases the names of politicians and civil servants listed in the CSIS report given to him last spring? Is anyone listening to this guy anymore? 

You know better. A pm can't "release the names".

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ricky Ravioli said:

"When questioned by Conservative Party lawyer Nando De Luca, Trudeau also said the names of Liberal parliamentarians and individuals from other parties are on the list of parliamentarians at risk of being compromised by foreign interference."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-foreign-interference-1.7354252

Why we ignoring this statement? It's curious to me that only the conservative party is being mentioned by media outlets when he clearly says it's not just one party involved.

Either way, names need to be released as soon as legally possible.

Skippy could handle the problem within his own party today. 

Why isn't he?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

Skippy could handle the problem within his own party today. 

Why isn't he?

No shit.

What kind of 'leader' refuses security clearance? you might have some infection in your party and you're going to willfully turn a blind eye?

Somewhere deep inside his supporters must know that is weaksauce, to say the least. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

No shit.

What kind of 'leader' refuses security clearance? you might have some infection in your party and you're going to willfully turn a blind eye?

Somewhere deep inside his supporters must know that is weaksauce, to say the least. 

Because Justin.

That's the weak sauce answer some seem happy with.