Canadian Politics Thread

Sharpshooter

15 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

i'm on this page to talk hockey and criticism of the management team is something that is accepted/

a brief look at this thread and it seems that criticism of the current management teams of our country, the BC NDP and Federal Liberals, is not really tolerated.  Is that an accurate statement, I've not read through the whole thread, and if it is an accurate statement, why would that be, what about these current governments is above reproach?   

No government is above reproach nor should it be.   I don't know about the other posters here, but what I've been most disagreeable with are comments I find to be snide, snippy, and sanctimonious.   The three s's.  They seldom win arguments and serve only to polarize.

In the end, we will all proudly wear our Team Canada jerseys no matter what is said here.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Satchmo said:

No government is above reproach nor should it be.   I don't know about the other posters here, but what I've been most disagreeable with are comments I find to be snide, snippy, and sanctimonious.   The three s's.  They seldom win arguments and serve only to polarize.

In the end, we will all proudly wear our Team Canada jerseys no matter what is said here.

Yeah I've been trying to avoid attacking others here. I just don't see the point.

Attacking others = others won't listen

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, The Lock said:

But but, the government is perfect! There! I said it! It's perfect at being imperfect!

Maybe if endless deficits will be the way forward and we can all just go work for the government.  No need to be a responsbile citizen engaged in community, let the goverment take care of it.  

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Opposition of a woman's right to choose, against gay and trans rights, stricter drug prohibition, anti-immigrant. 

Used to be the left that wanted a separation between Church (morality) and State.  Why is government in the morality business?  The issues you mention are used time and again to distract and cause division.  These issues is what really stops you from voting for change simply for the sake of a needed change, if simply to hold the elected to account. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Future Considerations said:

Maybe if endless deficits will be the way forward and we can all just go work for the government.  No need to be a responsbile citizen engaged in community, let the goverment take care of it.  

That sounds way too close to the far left c word. lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Future Considerations said:

Used to be the left that wanted a separation between Church (morality) and State.  Why is government in the morality business?  The issues you mention are used time and again to distract and cause division.  These issues is what really stops you from voting for change simply for the sake of a needed change, if simply to hold the elected to account. 

I'm fine with change; I'm not fine with PP and his barbaric beliefs destroying the country.  If you want change, the right needs to accept that most of the country is civilized, unlike the piece of trash leading the CPC.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Opposition of a woman's right to choose, against gay and trans rights, stricter drug prohibition, anti-immigrant. 

The previous conservative government never once discussed a woman's right to choose. Never once tried to take away any LGBTQ rights and brought in more immigrants than any other government before them. At least if you want to post postfactual stuff.

20 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah I've been trying to avoid attacking others here. I just don't see the point.

Attacking others = others won't listen

I don't think that's true. I mean look. For example, I'm being attacked endlessly because I'm not in the left wing side of the ice and there's a crowd that likes to pile on so people are listening lol

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

Actually, I just read this and I'm going to double quote you here.

We need to consider the fact that ideas shift. Left ideas typically gradually become centrist ideas which gradually become right wing ideas. Think of women voting just as an example. It went from a left idea with right wing backlash, to something that came to fruition, to then something we now consider far behind the times. However, if someone bring such a thing up, it would be considered a far right ideal (in this case an extreme far right idea but I hope you get the point).

I think we also have to consider morality doesn't have to be associated with the church. In fact, only 15% of Canadians actually go to church these days (if you need proof of that I can try and find it but it was something I looked up a while ago). Therefore, I'd argue that the church is playing less and less of a role in moral issues and it's really more what it happening in the world. Think Black Lives Matter movements, etc. Does the church play a part still in these? Absolutely, but it's only one side of it and not necessarily that entire side.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Future Considerations said:

I might comment on your first paragraph if I could make any sense of it.

As for the second paragraph, what you describe as morality might also be described as civil rights.  And civil rights are definitely part of the government's business.   

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

How about that new party?

We talking BC? I'm hesitant as I still see the BC United Party as the BC Liberals. They're going to have to do something I really like to win me over. That being said, I am a single voter available to be won over. I like sunny walks on the beach and sitting in a chair talking on a forum.

• ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

We need to consider the fact that ideas shift. Left ideas typically gradually become centrist ideas which gradually become right wing ideas. Think of women voting just as an example. It went from a left idea with right wing backlash, to something that came to fruition, to then something we now consider far behind the times. However, if someone bring such a thing up, it would be considered a far right ideal (in this case an extreme far right idea but I hope you get the point).

I think we also have to consider morality doesn't have to be associated with the church. In fact, only 15% of Canadians actually go to church these days (if you need proof of that I can try and find it but it was something I looked up a while ago). Therefore, I'd argue that the church is playing less and less of a role in moral issues and it's really more what it happening in the world. Think Black Lives Matter movements, etc. Does the church play a part still in these? Absolutely, but it's only one side of it and not necessarily that entire side.

that 15% is an interesting number because don't they say like something like 70% of Canadians identify as christian? And I think another three and a half or 4% identify as Muslim? So the identify as but it would appear they don't actually go to church lol. Black lives matter is basically showing what they are. Another racist discriminative movement. To not speak out against people saying kill all white people. That was it for me. I can stand up for equal rights without ever supporting a hate group like that.

We talking BC? I'm hesitant as I still see the BC United Party as the BC Liberals. They're going to have to do something I really like to win me over. That being said, I am a single voter available to be won over. I like sunny walks on the beach and sitting in a chair talking on a forum.

I don't live in British Columbia and I didn't know you guys had a new party. I thought it was just the BC liberal/ social credit that just changed their name? I'm talking about federally that new party. They started the center party the future party

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

that 15% is an interesting number because don't they say like something like 70% of Canadians identify as christian? And I think another three and a half or 4% identify as Muslim? So the identify as but it would appear they don't actually go to church lol. Black lives matter is basically showing what they are. Another racist discriminative movement. To not speak out against people saying kill all white people. That was it for me. I can stand up for equal rights without ever supporting a hate group like that.

I think when I last had looked it up it was actually something like 43% consider themselves as Christian but only 15% actually go to church. You can believe in god for example and not believe in religion, among other things.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Thankfully community based groups made up of volunteers are still helping out in our communities, but, for the most part, individuals are not volunteering their time but, collectively, we are relying on government to do it.  And government isn't doing a good enough job of it. 

I agree left ideas move into the centre, but does Government have to be involved in the governance of this.  The point is that we wanted a separation between religion and state so why is the state back in or still in the morality business?    

5 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't live in British Columbia and I didn't know you guys had a new party. I thought it was just the BC liberal/ social credit that just changed their name? I'm talking about federally that new party. They started the center party the future party

I need to catch up apparently. I'm really good at sticking my head in the sand. lol

I think it was 2 elections ago I thought the People's Party of Canada was the communist party. Seriously, a really stupid idea to use the same name of "People's" as communists around the world also use it.

Edited by The Lock
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I think when I last had looked it up it was actually something like 43% consider themselves as Christian but only 15% actually go to church. You can believe in god for example and not believe in religion, among other things.

Oh wow. Admittedly I thought it was higher than that

• Like 1

I need to catch up apparently. I'm really good at sticking my head in the sand. lol

I think it was 2 elections ago I thought the People's Party of Canada was the communist party. Seriously, a really stupid idea to use the same name of "People's" as communists around the world also use it.

Yeah, but let's consider the source. Maxime Bernier pretty much went all crazy. The funny thing about him is he made a bunch of noise when he left some very important paperwork I believe he was a foreign affairs minister ( I could be wrong) at a bikers house. Then he was quite quiet for some time. He lost the leadership bid and made a bunch of vocal noise on how the powers that be were against him, started a new party and then went full-on crazy lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think that's true. I mean look. For example, I'm being attacked endlessly because I'm not in the left wing side of the ice and there's a crowd that likes to pile on so people are listening lol

You being right of centre has nothing to do with why people respond to you the way you do.  It’s how you talk to others.  There’s lots of conservative voices in here.. most don’t spend their days crapping on everyone that disagrees with them.  Accountability is a good thing. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Rook said:

You being right of centre has nothing to do with why people respond to you the way you do.  It’s how you talk to others.  There’s lots of conservative voices in here.. most don’t spend their days crapping on everyone that disagrees with them.  Accountability is a good thing. 

When did I crap on anybody for disagreeing with me? Feel free to show me the evidence because the only one that I see between the two of us that is cropping on somebody and isn't even staying on topic is you. You need to go look in the mirror guy. You really aren't a very good person and you talk about how others are disrespectful. Go look in the mirror.

• Haha 1

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

When did I crap on anybody for disagreeing with me? Feel free to show me the evidence because the only one that I see between the two of us that is cropping on somebody and isn't even staying on topic is you. You need to go look in the mirror guy. You really aren't a very good person and you talk about how others are disrespectful. Go look in the mirror.

Proof is in the pudding, pudding 

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I would be for it if this comes to fruition to be honest. That being said, I would need to see something more tangible first; however, I do think such a party could, at the very least, take a bite out of both the Liberals and the Conservatives if it proves true that people like me are the majority.

• Cheers 1