[signing] Forbort to Canucks

11 hours ago, DeNiro said:

He had like two good plays that Canucks fans will relive forever. 🤣

I feel like the same thing is happening with Zadorov. The legend of how good he was will continue to grow…

Exactly… he was a big tough dude - not the best defender but ya - every team needs that toughness - but the question is why has he already been on 5 different teams ?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Exactly… he was a big tough dude - not the best defender but ya - every team needs that toughness - but the question is why has he already been on 5 different teams ?

I think his big talk wears thin on his teammates after a while.

I loved his open ice hits but he could never back it up with his fists. So he can start a war and not finish it. Awesome team mate. If you’re gonna pop off on guys you have to take the fight that follows. Or else the other team just plays dirtier against you if you’re not willing to answer for the hit.

At least Dak will drop them every time. There’s a good team mate.

6 years for Z in my opinion won’t age well. Not for a guy that makes some brain dead plays every other game.

In any case he was fun to watch and I wish him the best in bean town. I just don’t think he’s worth what he signed for.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I think there will be some regrets with Zadorov, but with our cap situation, we just couldn't give a third-paired defenseman 5m over 6 years. That just doesn't make any sense in the lineup. 

13 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Zadorov's 29, isn't he? 

But yeah, it's a big gamble to allocate that much cap to a guy who hasn't proven himself to have ever played on a top four on any of the teams he's played on. 

Is that entirely true though?

During the regular season the LD behind QH was Soucy ATOI 17:29 and Zadorov ATOI 17:04

In the playoffs, it was  Soucy ATOI 16:58 and Zadorov ATOI 20:09 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

During the regular season the LD behind QH was Soucy ATOI 17:29 and Zadorov ATOI 17:04

A 13 game sample over 11 seasons of hockey? 

• ThereItIs 1

4 hours ago, EdgarM said:

One strong 13 game playoff where he played on a team with injuries, old players, and a value salary defence doesn't really erase the previous ten years. 

There is a reason why he doesn't ever become a top 4 mainstay on the teams he's on. Much like Myers he crashes when asked to do too much. He doesn't have a great hockey IQ and his conditioning and mobility are issues as well.

It's possible he does this with Boston moving forward but it's not a bet I'd like to make.

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

One strong 13 game playoff where he played on a team with injuries, old players, and a value salary defence doesn't really erase the previous ten years. 

There is a reason why he doesn't ever become a top 4 mainstay on the teams he's on. Much like Myers he crashes when asked to do too much. He doesn't have a great hockey IQ and his conditioning and mobility are issues as well.

It's possible he does this with Boston moving forward but it's not a bet I'd like to make.

Thanks for posting OEL's buyout structure...yikes!

This just makes managing our cap space so much more important.  I think big Z moving on is the best thing for our club because we'd have a heck of a time navigating the tight cap with a career bottom 6 D taking up all that cap space. It's not a bet i'd be willing to take either. 

At least moving forward we can supplement our team with cheaper role players on 1-2 year deals till we get past OEL's heavy buy out years. Plus supplement where we can with home grown youth.

On that note, this year our baby Canucks get even younger. Last season they were one of the youngest teams in the AHL and this year we've lost Dries and Gatcomb so that will drop some more. Plus Matt Irwin may or may not return. Personally it's always what i've wanted to see with our farm team. But we have always used a lot of vets to fill our farm team roster because we had no youth to fill it out during the Benning years...in 2 friggin years it's been flipped on it's head. Awesome to see. This will allow us to fill holes on the big club roster with young, hungry, affordable talent.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I think there will be some regrets with Zadorov, but with our cap situation, we just couldn't give a third-paired defenseman 5m over 6 years. That just doesn't make any sense in the lineup. 

19 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Zadorov's 29, isn't he? 

But yeah, it's a big gamble to allocate that much cap to a guy who hasn't proven himself to have ever played on a top four on any of the teams he's played on. 

6 hours ago, EdgarM said:

1 hour ago, Coryberg said:

A 13 game sample over 11 seasons of hockey? 

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Gawdzukes and Coryberg, please read my entire post again please. Thank you. :classic_biggrin:

Hint- he played 54 regular season games and the 13 play off games for us. 

Edited by EdgarM

53 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

Thanks for posting OEL's buyout structure...yikes!

This just makes managing our cap space so much more important.  I think big Z moving on is the best thing for our club because we'd have a heck of a time navigating the tight cap with a career bottom 6 D taking up all that cap space. It's not a bet i'd be willing to take either. 

At least moving forward we can supplement our team with cheaper role players on 1-2 year deals till we get past OEL's heavy buy out years. Plus supplement where we can with home grown youth.

On that note, this year our baby Canucks get even younger. Last season they were one of the youngest teams in the AHL and this year we've lost Dries and Gatcomb so that will drop some more. Plus Matt Irwin may or may not return. Personally it's always what i've wanted to see with our farm team. But we have always used a lot of vets to fill our farm team roster because we had no youth to fill it out during the Benning years...in 2 friggin years it's been flipped on it's head. Awesome to see. This will allow us to fill holes on the big club roster with young, hungry, affordable talent.

........and yet, we resigned 34 yr old Myers at 3 million for 3 more years? 🙄 Yikes!

• chaos 1

17 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Gawdzukes and Coryberg, please read my entire post again please. Thank you. :classic_biggrin:

Hint- he played 54 regular season games and the 13 play off games for us. 

I saw you pointed out that he was #6 in regular season time on ice. Good on you for admitting that.

Insinuating that a sample of 13 games proves he is a top 4 is a little ridiculous when a player has played 700 games.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

........and yet, we resigned 34 yr old Myers at 3 million for 3 more years? 🙄 Yikes!

3 is smaller then 6.Money and years.In a two years you will need space for Pettersson jr on left side

• ThereItIs 1

28 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

I saw you pointed out that he was #6 in regular season time on ice. Good on you for admitting that.

Insinuating that a sample of 13 games proves he is a top 4 is a little ridiculous when a player has played 700 games.

#6 ? What are you talking about? 😆 In depth at LD last season he was basically similarto Soucy in minutes, thats a fact. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

You don’t think he’s still effective for that price? Ian Cole got a bit more than him and he’s 36. There’s a decent chance it will age better than big Z’s contract. In my opinion that is.

Chaos giraffe version 2.0 I very much like. 

4 minutes ago, Attila Umbrus said:

You don’t think he’s still effective for that price? Ian Cole got a bit more than him and he’s 36. There’s a decent chance it will age better than big Z’s contract. In my opinion that is.

Chaos giraffe version 2.0 I very much like. 

He is still chaos giraffe but now he has 1 good season under his belt after all the bad years. There is some apprehension that he can be a new man at 34 years of age. Foote and Gonchar are good, but they are not miracle workers. 😆

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

He is still chaos giraffe but now he has 1 good season under his belt after all the bad years. There is some apprehension that he can be a new man at 34 years of age. Foote and Gonchar are good, but they are not miracle workers. 😆

Fair point lol

But I think maybe he’s finally found a proper niche

I think of how Edler evolved at the end of his career. Some guys get better with age.

Another older dman that got better with age was Kronwall that guy just got better and better…till his hips and knees gave out from all the huge hits

It may be a stretch but I think Myers has always been mis cast and forced to do too much. Whether that’s because he thought he was something more than what he really was or just teams wanting something he couldn’t fully give…but the refinement in him last year was the best he’s ever been in his career. Even better than when he was more an offensive dman in Buffalo when first drafted.

Time will tell. But worth it at 3 mil to see what kinda runway he has left. And he actually wants to be here and to be honest left money on the table.

Dak wants to be here too. He took less to stay and be a part of this team. 

Miller did the same. Hopefully others will follow. I’m nervous how Peteys contract will age…but 100 pt players gonna get paid no matter what.

Anyways rambling sorry. On night shift and bored 🙃

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

I think his big talk wears thin on his teammates after a while.

I loved his open ice hits but he could never back it up with his fists. So he can start a war and not finish it. Awesome team mate. If you’re gonna pop off on guys you have to take the fight that follows. Or else the other team just plays dirtier against you if you’re not willing to answer for the hit.

At least Dak will drop them every time. There’s a good team mate.

6 years for Z in my opinion won’t age well. Not for a guy that makes some brain dead plays every other game.

In any case he was fun to watch and I wish him the best in bean town. I just don’t think he’s worth what he signed for.

Ya I hear you… 

that contract won’t age well…

If that’s his way then no he’s not a great team mate 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

#6 ? What are you talking about? 😆 In depth at LD last season he was basically similarto Soucy in minutes, thats a fact. 

image.thumb.png.f84ebdd237d42aa57fc1861bae39a85d.png

image.thumb.png.7db5d600c2c77ede40eff873e1d5e6bd.png

image.thumb.png.ab22b931763f26cb9bd72a4885904882.png

That's 5 players with more ice time making him 6th in minutes played. That's a fact. 😄 As you indicated, he almost played as much but less than Soucy, who is already signed at $3 mil. He's clearly not some vital top 4 piece playing big minutes.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Almost like he’s a tweener 4/5 guy… the exact type you don’t give big money or term to. 5x6 is insanity for Zad… and I loved having him here. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

43 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

image.thumb.png.f84ebdd237d42aa57fc1861bae39a85d.png

image.thumb.png.7db5d600c2c77ede40eff873e1d5e6bd.png

image.thumb.png.ab22b931763f26cb9bd72a4885904882.png

That's 5 players with more ice time making him 6th in minutes played. That's a fact. 😄 As you indicated, he almost played as much but less than Soucy, who is already signed at $3 mil. He's clearly not some vital top 4 piece playing big minutes.

To be fair though, most on this board would suggest it would be smart to play Zadorov more than Cole.  Many would also suggest this with Myers although he turned things around nicely last year.

Is Zadorov a top 4 or a top 6?.....I think he's a top 4 on most teams.  We had a great D last year and he would not have been out of place to say he was top 4.  The bottom 4 last year were all relatively at the same level with similar minutes, so it's a bit moot, no?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Zadorov still played less during the regular season. Playoffs, short sample size, but yes, played more. 

I guess I'll be interested to see if he can handle a top four role full time in the regular season. 

• Like 1