[Signing] Zadorov to Boston

6 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Thats the problem right there. Love him for what? He gave us 2.5 months of ok play. not great defensively. and 2 playoff rounds where he elevated his game. 

You cant pay him assuming he is going to play an elevated game the rest of his career. He has shown over the last 11 years that he is not a top 4 D. Management knows that. We cant and shouldnt keep players simply because we like them.  Especially when our sample size is so small.

Excited Lets Go GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

Thats the problem right there. Love him for what? He gave us 2.5 months of ok play. not great defensively. and 2 playoff rounds where he elevated his game. 

You cant pay him assuming he is going to play an elevated game the rest of his career. He has shown over the last 11 years that he is not a top 4 D. Management knows that. We cant and shouldnt keep players simply because we like them.  Especially when our sample size is so small.

Well there's lots to love about Zads, so no apologies there. But I do agree, as a management team, you need to keep emotions out of it and do what you think is best for the team moving forward. I want a group running the team that makes more good decisions than bad and believes strongly in their plan. We have that now. 

• Cheers 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I can't wait. He's not that far off. College is the right place for him right now in his development as a player and young man. 

I agree. Can't see him spending too much time on the farm. His level of talent will be better served on the big club. 

We just need to keep working on the D during this period so he contribute effectively when he steps in and he's not in over his head.

I hope he returns to Boston, another season of stewing would probably be great for him. Folks gotta remember how young Willander is, and it's not uncommon for D to take longer to step into the league than forwards. 

It'd also delay his ELC, which is no small thing. 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Rekker said:

Well there's lots to love about Zads, so no apologies there. But I do agree, as a management team, you need to keep emotions out of it and do what you think is best for the team moving forward. I want a group running the team that makes more good decisions than bad and believes strongly in their plan. We have that now. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952hhp901g66073b1aisz

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I hope he returns to Boston, another season of stewing would probably be great for him. Folks gotta remember how young Willander is, and it's not uncommon for D to take longer to step into the league than forwards. 

It'd also delay his ELC, which is no small thing. 

No hurry to rush him at all. Another season would be great for him. After years of rushing young guys into the league and years of overpaying others, we're finally doing things right. He's only 19. That ELC matters. Especially in a year or two.

Also, I'm a big fan of the college system. It really prepares guys both on and off the ice. 

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Rekker said:

100% agree.

I told my wife that if Zadorov signs here then thats the next jersey I'm buying. As soon as Allvin said Z wasn't signing here I knew it was in the best interest of the team. I knew 100% that management made their offer and if Z didnt take it, then see ya! 

Maybe my next jersey will be DeBrusk!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

No hurry to rush him at all. Another season would be great for him. After years of rushing young guys into the league and years of overpaying others, we're finally doing things right. He's only 19. That ELC matters. Especially in a year or two.

Also, I'm a big fan of the college system. It really prepares guys both on and off the ice. 

NCAA can get them fit too. Though you have to put in the effort.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I'd honestly rather lean towards having prospects stew longer, even with top prospects. We saw what rushing guys can do to them with Virtanen, McCann, and arguably Podkolzin. 

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

NCAA can get them fit too. Though you have to put in the effort.

That's what I like about that system. It promotes accountability and responsibility in so many areas, including academics. 

16 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'd honestly rather lean towards having prospects stew longer, even with top prospects. We saw what rushing guys can do to them with Virtanen, McCann, and arguably Podkolzin. 

This management has quickly built a foundation that allows us to be patient. We're not desperate. Glad they chose to invest in Podkolzin despite rushing him. Hopefully that pays off. 

• Cheers 2

Honestly Zadorov will probably look quite good playing with Carlo. Carlo can cover for when Zadorov puts himself out of position going for hits/making pinches and should be able to play around 19min/game. They could form quite a nasty, hulking shutdown pair.

Also, since the rumor was that we were willing to offer $5M, he clearly chose Boston over us. Even if the term difference was 5 years vs 6 years, if he truly wanted to be here that shouldn't have made a difference. Not sure what made him choose Boston over us, but it is what it is and it was nice to have him here while we did.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

And some self proclaimed experts here have blinders on because 6’6. 

our smallest bottom 4 dman is now 6’4 216 collectively the Canucks improved over just one big fish. 

no self proclaimed experts wearing blinders on here but yourself .

And you’re only giving your opinion, like anyone else .

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

So, that kind of proves my point. Zadorov didnt want to be here. He was being offered the same amount of money, and one season less, and he chose to leave. He made a choice. Pretty sure if he wanted to stay he would have accepted the offer

listening to a Zadorov interview @Elias Pettersson mentioned the money was the same but there was a sticking point that the Canucks wouldn’t match.… 

I understand Zadorov’s point of veiw entirely.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, JayDangles said:

So, that kind of proves my point. Zadorov didnt want to be here. He was being offered the same amount of money, and one season less, and he chose to leave. He made a choice. Pretty sure if he wanted to stay he would have accepted the offer

Nobody is turning down an extra year on their contract.  That's $5 million in guaranteed money.  If the Canucks offered 6 years he probably would have signed for a bit less than $5 million...

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

no self proclaimed experts wearing blinders on here but yourself .

And you’re only giving your opinion, like anyone else .

listening to a Zadorov interview @Elias Pettersson mentioned the money was the same but there was a sticking point that the Canucks wouldn’t match.… 

I understand Zadorov’s point of veiw entirely.

There are plenty self proclaimed experts here, I’m not one. I drew a line in the sand what I think he is worth take it or leave it. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Nobody is turning down an extra year on their contract.  That's $5 million in guaranteed money.  If the Canucks offered 6 years he probably would have signed for a bit less than $5 million...

So if I say something that you think is speculative, you jump all over me ...quote "Did you just make that up".

But then you respond with your own speculation......

here's how I know you're wrong.

I have a career, but I need to sign a new contract. A company offers me a 5 year deal to stay where I am, and where I want to be, and where my family is living. Another company offers me a 6 year deal to move to Toronto.

By your logic, I have to move to Toronto? No sane person would turn that down?

Hell no. I would stay if I liked the city and liked my life. So yeah, a lot of people would turn down a contract the requires them to move to a different city, or in this case a different country.

Edited by JayDangles

19 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

So if I say something that you think is speculative, you jump all over me ...quote "Did you just make that up".

I have a career, but I need to sign a new contract. A company offers me a 5 year deal to stay where I am, and where I want to be, and where my family is living. Another company offers me a 6 year deal to move to Toronto.

Hell no. I would stay if I liked the city and liked my life. So yeah, a lot of people would turn down a contract the requires them to move to a different city, or in this case a different country.

So, you would reject an additional $5 million to stay in Vancouver?  

• Cheers 4

3 hours ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

They will love Big Z in Boston…

Happy Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Dude is a traitor that’s why I didn’t put him in a Canucks uniform

good riddance jack ass…

he’s a damn bruin now…

hate the bruins…

3 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Context is important here. NHL careers are short and that extra guaranteed year at $5m takes him to 35.  He plays a physical game.  There's no guarantee he'd get that much even on a 1 year deal if he took the 5 year deal instead 

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

So, you would reject an additional $5 million to stay in Vancouver?  

If I was already a multimillionaire, and if I had a family, and if I liked vancouver and I liked my coworkers and I was happy then yeah probably.

Your acting like this is the first you've ever heard of players taking pay cuts, or turning down offers that would have netted them more in the long run.