[Signing] Zadorov to Boston

1 minute ago, qwijjibo said:

Context is important here. NHL careers are short and that extra guaranteed year at $5m takes him to 35.  He plays a physical game.  There's no guarantee he'd get that much even on a 1 year deal if he took the 5 year deal instead 

I get an extra year of job security is important, and $5m is nothing to sneeze at, even for a wealthy person. I'm just saying in my original post that if Zadorov wanted to stay, then a 5 year deal worth $25m was plenty enough to make that happen.

As Allvin says, Zadorov CHOSE to go somewhere else. It's not like canucks offered him scraps, or nothing at all. They made a solid offer and he decided he would rather move his whole world to Boston.

2 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

If I was already a multimillionaire, and if I had a family, and if I liked vancouver and I liked my coworkers and I was happy then yeah probably.

Your acting like this is the first you've ever heard of players taking pay cuts, or turning down offers that would have netted them more in the long run. 

He was in Vancouver for a few months.  I doubt he's even bought a home in Vancouver yet.  It's not like he's Stamkos and he's been in Zthe city fir 16 years 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, DeNiro said:

If we didn’t have the OEL buyout we’d still have OEL and no Zadorov. 🤣

More so if we didn’t make that trade. Going to hurt us for a while, but Rutherford has done a good job this off-season working around it.

12 hours ago, JayDangles said:

I think most folks are coming to the realization that it wasn't about money. Despite Zadorovs end of season interviews, he didn't actually want to be here.

Doesn’t sound like the money was the issue, sounds like the number of seasons was the issue. This was reportedly the issue during the season as well when they were trying to sign him. Canucks didn’t want to give him term.

• ThereItIs 1

8 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

He was in Vancouver for a few months.  I doubt he's even bought a home in Vancouver yet.  It's not like he's Stamkos and he's been in Zthe city fir 16 years 

Sure, yeah who knows. 

At the end of the day I believe a player makes their own decision. End of day Canucks made a solid offer and  Zadorov chose to go to Boston.

See ya!

Just now, J-23 said:

Doesn’t sound like the money was the issue, sounds like the number of seasons was the issue. This was reportedly the issue during the season as well when they were trying to sign him. Canucks didn’t want to give him term.

And rightfully so! 

He would have provided some exciting moments here, but his track record shows he gets too comfortable. Hence why he gets moved every 2-3 years.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, JayDangles said:

If I was already a multimillionaire, and if I had a family, and if I liked vancouver and I liked my coworkers and I was happy then yeah probably.

Your acting like this is the first you've ever heard of players taking pay cuts, or turning down offers that would have netted them more in the long run. 

You are talking about a hockey player who will retire at age 35. Every million counts. Did Horvat stay in Vancouver, the city that drafted him where he was the captain, because of a few million?  What about Stamkos?  Did he stay in Tampa over a few million?  

Stamkos has made well over $100 million in his career. Why would he get up and walk away from Tampa, a city where he was King, over a few million dollars?  Can you explain that?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Yeah he is gone, whatever, what really concerns me is that we are now going to rely on Soucy/Myers as our top 4 dcore. To me, this is a downgrade because Soucy is injury prone, and Myers is chaos prone. 

Love Soucy in the regular season but he seemed to have trouble with tighter checking and puck pressure down low in the playoffs. I seen Zadorov as handling this pressure better then him, he was more aggressive and physical.

If we signed another top 4 dman, great, but we didn't, so I hope JR and Co. have something different up their sleeve because I thought we were done worrying about Myers, in that he was either going to be let go, or he was relegated to the third pairing. 

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, I.AM.THE.WALRUS said:

Traitor… 

Benedict Arnold…

Never forget 2011

Relax.  He played half a season in Vancouver and got a better offer elsewhere.  He wasn't even in the league in 2011. 

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

but Rutherford has done a good job this off-season working around it.

Credit where credit should belong, I think this offseason's FAFJuly1st efforts were GMPA's and his team's.  I'm pretty sure PoHOJR was sitting in the background, pondering how to get a practice rink up and running (as mandated by ownership a couple of years ago) by the end of September.

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

You are talking about a hockey player who will retire at age 35. Every million counts. Did Horvat stay in Vancouver, the city that drafted him where he was the captain, because of a few million?  What about Stamkos?  Did he stay in Tampa over a few million?  

Stamkos has made well over $100 million in his career. Why would he get up and walk away from Tampa, a city where he was King, over a few million dollars?  Can you explain that?

Horvat was traded, Stamkos was offered a garbage contract. 

You're just arguing for argument sake.

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Hughes/Hronek

Soucy/Myers

is the same top 4 as last season

We got better defensively after ‘lil Z arrived 

(In Boston they’re gonna call Zad ‘lil Z cuz Chara is their big Z fwiw)

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, JayDangles said:

Horvat was traded, Stamkos was offered a garbage contract. 

You're just arguing for argument sake.

Horvat was traded because he didn’t like the contract he was offered. Stamkos signed with Nashville because he didn’t like the contract he was offered. You literally just proved my point that it was all about the money in both cases. 

Also, you are the one who went back and forth with several posters on this not me trying to convince everyone that your made up story that Zadorov didn’t want to be here and it wasn’t about the money was somehow true. 

56 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Horvat was traded because he didn’t like the contract he was offered. Stamkos signed with Nashville because he didn’t like the contract he was offered. You literally just proved my point that it was all about the money in both cases. 

Also, you are the one who went back and forth with several posters on this not me trying to convince everyone that your made up story that Zadorov didn’t want to be here and it wasn’t about the money was somehow true

Lol

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

You sound surprised... :classic_ninja:

I'm a little surprised. I thought I made some solid points, but some folks just can't help themselves. 

Lesson learned.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, Olli Juolevi said:

Hughes/Hronek

Soucy/Myers

is the same top 4 as last season

Yes, but Soucy couldn't stay healthy and Myers should be in a bottom 4 that splits time, but right now the 2nd pairing will have to do more heavy lifting due to the skill discrepancy between the 2nd and 3rd pairing.

I also realized why I miss Zadorov...he reminds me of Bieksa; Physical, good defensively (but with occasional blunders), with a heavy underrated shot and perfect for the playoffs.

Soucy-Myers is not a solid 2nd pairing for the playoffs. 

All the talk about Zadorov being a 3rd pairing guy is ignoring progression and the impact he has in the playoffs. 

If you are going to sign Myers to a 3 year deal (taking him to 37 years old), why not sign Zadorov to a 6 year deal that takes him to 35? I think Myers is more likely to regress this year and will end up on the 3rd pairing after this year, whereas Zadorov will build and do well (especially in the playoffs). 

1 hour ago, c00kies said:

Yes, but Soucy couldn't stay healthy and Myers should be in a bottom 4 that splits time, but right now the 2nd pairing will have to do more heavy lifting due to the skill discrepancy between the 2nd and 3rd pairing.

I also realized why I miss Zadorov...he reminds me of Bieksa; Physical, good defensively (but with occasional blunders), with a heavy underrated shot and perfect for the playoffs.

Soucy-Myers is not a solid 2nd pairing for the playoffs. 

All the talk about Zadorov being a 3rd pairing guy is ignoring progression and the impact he has in the playoffs. 

If you are going to sign Myers to a 3 year deal (taking him to 37 years old), why not sign Zadorov to a 6 year deal that takes him to 35? I think Myers is more likely to regress this year and will end up on the 3rd pairing after this year, whereas Zadorov will build and do well (especially in the playoffs). 

Thank you for a well thought out addition to the discussion. I get tired of these others who like to mock those that don't follow their ignorance. I get it, they didn't think highly of Z but come with no reasoning behind their conclusions other then the coaches up to this point did not give him the minutes others were getting. Its not difficult to see the skills he had and the potential. We will soon see if Boston reaps the risk they took on him.

I think we took the bigger risk in relying on Soucy/Myers as our #2 and #3 defensive pairing but what do I know. 

It doesn't matter because its the same guys who mocked that we were keeping Miller or that Bo was going to be traded. 

They blab on and on like they know whats going on then its crickets when that what they were preaching becomes untrue. 

In my opinion, we lost a top 4 dman and gained a couple of 5/6 dman. Maybe not what others think but I don't really care either way.