[Signing] Zadorov to Boston

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

When you look at Zadorav’s contract, Hroneks doesn’t look bad at all. 
Crazy to think how much of a drop off in skill there is after Hughes/Hronek.

Canucks really need to spend the remaining cap space + Poolman LTIR on a top 4D man. Will most likely come in a trade now that the UFA’s remaining are not what we should be looking for. 

Hughes-Hronek (if it’s not broke don’t fix it)

Soucy- NEW PLAYER 

Desharnais/Forbort-Myers

Juulsen

^ This line up plays to everyone’s strengths. Myers on the third pairing, Juulsen as the 7th. They should be able to move up in a pinch but should not be our starting lineup.

Hronek's deal was never bad, it's right in line with what a similar player in Hanifin got from Vegas not too long ago

Hanifin's a 27 year-old LD who got 7.35x8 from Vegas, he turned 27 earlier this year, Hronek will be 27 later this year and got a tad less on an 8 year deal

Similar production levels, although Hanifin has more 30+ point seasons, Hronek has 4 whereas Hanifin has 5 (and one 29 point season)

https://capwages.com/players/filip-hronek

https://capwages.com/players/noah-hanifin

Canucks could certainly use another top 4D though, absolutely, though part of me wonders whether we'll see that happen prior to next offseason, our probably having to move out a larger salary to make it happen muddies the waters a bit 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Hronek's deal was never bad, it's right in line with what a similar player in Hanifin got from Vegas not too long ago

Hanifin's a 27 year-old LD who got 7.35x8 from Vegas, he turned 27 earlier this year, Hronek will be 27 later this year and got a tad less on an 8 year deal

Similar production levels, although Hanifin has more 30+ point seasons, Hronek has 4 whereas Hanifin has 5 (and one 29 point season)

Canucks could certainly use another top 4D though, absolutely, though part of me wonders whether we'll see that happen prior to next offseason, our probably having to move out a larger salary to make it happen muddies the waters a bit 

IMHAO this management is super smart with the cap. They will accrue cap space during the season so they have lots of room at the TDL to add that top four D man. Not too sure who that will be, but guessing he will come from a bottom dweller and be on an expiring contract. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

IMHAO this management is super smart with the cap. They will accrue cap space during the season so they have lots of room at the TDL to add that top four D man. Not too sure who that will be, but guessing he will come from a bottom dweller and be on an expiring contract. 

I think thats the plan too. Bank that space, and then we don't have to make the trade extra hard by having to flip some other crappy contract to bring him in.

Our lineup should be good enough to make the playoffs as is, I don't think we're going to add barring some kind of Garland deal no one has seen coming.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

That would make sense, but I'd prefer to not continue shopping for playoff rentals going forward 

35 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That would make sense, but I'd prefer to not continue shopping for playoff rentals going forward 

I'm ok with it if either A- the cost is low,  B- it makes long term sense C- a push us over the top guys becomes available. We paid practically nothing for Zadorov who was a great fit and could have been a solid long term add for example. No issue taking shots at guys like that.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'm ok with it if either A- the cost is low,  B- it makes long term sense C- a push us over the top guys becomes available. We paid practically nothing for Zadorov who was a great fit and could have been a solid long term add for example. No issue taking shots at guys like that.

Zadorov didn't cost much, paying the Lindholm price regularly hurts more though

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Zadorov didn't cost much, paying the Lindholm price regularly hurts more though

Yup. I mean it wasn't THAT much but yeah you don't want to do that every year and have the guy just walk. But at least you clear their cap! 🤣

• Huggy Bear 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Yup. I mean it wasn't THAT much but yeah you don't want to do that every year and have the guy just walk. But at least you clear their cap! 🤣

Pretty much....

Lindholm rental + 7 years of Jake Debrusk for a late late late 1st, Hunter "I ain't signing with you" Brzustewicz and a 4th.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

When you look at Zadorav’s contract, Hroneks doesn’t look bad at all. 
Crazy to think how much of a drop off in skill there is after Hughes/Hronek.

Canucks really need to spend the remaining cap space + Poolman LTIR on a top 4D man. Will most likely come in a trade now that the UFA’s remaining are not what we should be looking for. 

Hughes-Hronek (if it’s not broke don’t fix it)

Soucy- NEW PLAYER 

Desharnais/Forbort-Myers

Juulsen

^ This line up plays to everyone’s strengths. Myers on the third pairing, Juulsen as the 7th. They should be able to move up in a pinch but should not be our starting lineup.

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Canuck fans: Stop over paying depth players

Also Canuck fans: sIgN a BoTtOm PaIr DmAn To 8x5 DeAl

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Why oh why, did we give old man Myers 3X3 BEFORE July 1st then?🙄

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Well, supposedly the coaches all wanted him back, which is a significant endorsement is the praise of our coaching staff around here means anything. 

3M is also closer to bottom pairing money than it is top 4D money, the 3Mish in dead cap between OEL and Mikheyev probably cost us being able to grab a legit top 4D. 

I was hoping they'd find one, maybe they still will, but we only had so much cap space to work with unfortunately. I reckon trying to grab one via trade would probably have to involve moving Garland, but they really seem to like that third line as is 

The only bigger ticket guy we could afford was DeBrusk, but despite the other additions being smaller scale additions, I think management did pretty well given their cap constraints. 

Ideally we find a way to shuffle more cap to the back end, but that may have to wait til closer to the trade deadline or next offseason. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Have you seen what other defenseman got at the on July 1st? Myers likely would've easily gotten 3.5 x 3 in the open market based on his play last season and playoffs. Signing a defenseman who wants to remain in Vancouver (and the coaches + teammates all want him back) to a bargain below market value is a no brainer.

Unlike Benning, Allvin actually takes players and coaching staffs opinion into consideration. The uproar of 2020 off-season wasn't because the players left as UFAs. It is how they left and how little communication there were between management and the players. It was detrimental to the team both on/off the ice.

Bringing players like Myers, Joshua, Blueger back on bargain contracts is good for both on/off-ice team chemistry. These players are Canucks and saw the value in being a Canuck and they want to continue to build on the success from the past season.

In a perfect World without the OEL buy-out, we would definitely have more room to bring in another Top 4 D or Top 6 forward (or bring Zadorov back). However, that's the world we live in, a lot of teams are dealing with deadcap space and have to make it work in the cap world.

I am glad we have good/competent management group that plans ahead instead of letting things snowball out of control and eventually "ran out of time" like Jim Benning the moron did back then.

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Wow, look at the “projected lineup” for the Bruins next season. Big Z on the first pair! Lol

IMG_7423.jpeg

IMG_7422.jpeg

Zadorov has the mobility, size, and reach to play a strong defensive game if he gets the right coaching.  I'm pretty sure he will be totally fine in that role with McAvoy next to him.  It's no different than how Hughes can bring out the best in many RHD (Schenn is a good example).  Zadorov simply didn't have that kinda role with the Canucks.  It was an odd fit to keep him unless we moved Soucy. 

Lindholm couldn't have asked for a better landing spot playing next to Pasta.  He will likely see 70+ points in that role. 

These moves by Boston made perfect sense.  They didn't make any sense for the Canucks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Zadorov has the mobility, size, and reach to play a strong defensive game if he gets the right coaching.  I'm pretty sure he will be totally fine in that role with McAvoy next to him.  It's no different than how Hughes can bring out the best in many RHD (Schenn is a good example).  Zadorov simply didn't have that kinda role with the Canucks.  It was an odd fit to keep him unless we moved Soucy. 

Lindholm couldn't have asked for a better landing spot playing next to Pasta.  He will likely see 70+ points in that role. 

These moves by Boston made perfect sense.  They didn't make any sense for the Canucks.

If Zadorov is capable of playing first pairing with McAvoy,  why can't he play with Hughes? Z can also play the right side. 

But if he can't, he can then play 2nd pairing LD partnered with Hronek on RD. 

Soucy is also flexible. LD RD. 

Im still ok with how everything worked out. 

We'll get our 3-4D some point this season so I'm not too stressed. 

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Because the coaches and Allvin prioritized him specifically because the coaches wanted him back. I wish Z well in Boston but I trust the coaches know what they're doing especially after a season like last season. 

31 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

If Zadorov is capable of playing first pairing with McAvoy,  why can't he play with Hughes? Z can also play the right side. 

But if he can't, he can then play 2nd pairing LD partnered with Hronek on RD. 

Soucy is also flexible. LD RD. 

Im still ok with how everything worked out. 

We'll get our 3-4D some point this season so I'm not too stressed. 

Capable doesn't mean he's at his best.  Zadorov with McAvoy will be the best situation he can find himself in.  Not many other RHD at that level in the entire NHL.

Hronek is no McAvoy.

Forcing guys to play their weaker side isn't ideal.

The best argument I would have of keeping Zadorov was that he could have been an excellent fit with Willander coming in.  Although I think Soucy might be better for that.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Because the coaches and Allvin prioritized him specifically because the coaches wanted him back. I wish Z well in Boston but I trust the coaches know what they're doing especially after a season like last season. 

Ok so they wanted him back but to play where? 2nd pairing? 3rd pairing? You kind of act like you are in the room with them during their discussions. 😄

He had 1 good season with all the years he has been with us so far, lets just see if he can put 2 good years together before we walk around thinking we know everything, K? :classic_biggrin:

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Coryberg said:

3 million is bottom pairing money. Overpaying would be giving a 3rd pairing D man 5X6

Oh so we prioritized a "bottom pairing" defenseman? I see. 

3 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Ok so they wanted him back but to play where? 2nd pairing? 3rd pairing? You kind of act like you are in the room with them during their discussions. 😄

He had 1 good season with all the years he has been with us so far, let’s just see if he can put 2 good years together before we walk around thinking we know everything, K? :classic_biggrin:

It was pretty widely reported that our coaches were wanting Myers back. To play in what spot is irrelevant. No need to go for ad hominems when someone who has a different opinion than you might know something factually that you didn’t. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Well, supposedly the coaches all wanted him back, which is a significant endorsement is the praise of our coaching staff around here means anything. 

3M is also closer to bottom pairing money than it is top 4D money, the 3Mish in dead cap between OEL and Mikheyev probably cost us being able to grab a legit top 4D. 

I was hoping they'd find one, maybe they still will, but we only had so much cap space to work with unfortunately. I reckon trying to grab one via trade would probably have to involve moving Garland, but they really seem to like that third line as is 

The only bigger ticket guy we could afford was DeBrusk, but despite the other additions being smaller scale additions, I think management did pretty well given their cap constraints. 

Ideally we find a way to shuffle more cap to the back end, but that may have to wait til closer to the trade deadline or next offseason. 

So why did we get 2 more bottom pairing defenseman after him then? I am confused.

3 hours ago, RJCF96 said:

Have you seen what other defenseman got at the on July 1st? Myers likely would've easily gotten 3.5 x 3 in the open market based on his play last season and playoffs. Signing a defenseman who wants to remain in Vancouver (and the coaches + teammates all want him back) to a bargain below market value is a no brainer.

Unlike Benning, Allvin actually takes players and coaching staffs opinion into consideration. The uproar of 2020 off-season wasn't because the players left as UFAs. It is how they left and how little communication there were between management and the players. It was detrimental to the team both on/off the ice.

Bringing players like Myers, Joshua, Blueger back on bargain contracts is good for both on/off-ice team chemistry. These players are Canucks and saw the value in being a Canuck and they want to continue to build on the success from the past season.

In a perfect World without the OEL buy-out, we would definitely have more room to bring in another Top 4 D or Top 6 forward (or bring Zadorov back). However, that's the world we live in, a lot of teams are dealing with deadcap space and have to make it work in the cap world.

I am glad we have good/competent management group that plans ahead instead of letting things snowball out of control and eventually "ran out of time" like Jim Benning the moron did back then.

Once we lost Zadorov, our priority should have been a Top 4 dman not a tweener 3rd pairing guy. We should have at least waited until free agency started I bet there would not have been many teams wanting to prioritize him at all, and if so, so be it. 

It sounds like we have defenseman in the minors who need a shot at making the big club anyway and not having an older tweener guy occupying that spot for the next 3 years would have been ideal.

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Oh so we prioritized a "bottom pairing" defenseman? I see. 

Yep a "bottom pairing" defenseman who was #3 in ice time for our team last season. I'd say signing him to less than our #5 (3.25) and #6 (3.75) from last year should most definitely have been a priority.

• Cheers 2