[Signing] Zadorov to Boston

Posted (edited)

I've been pretty supportive of management throughout this situation, not overrating the player and caving to demands...

But this is a contract I would have wanted us to sign.

Say we signed Zadorov to the 5 x 6 back in 2019 instead of Myers; I don't even think he would have received half the flak that Myers received during that term.

Even if Nikita contributed almost no offence, he's worth 5 million just on physical tools alone. 

Not very happy about this tbh

Edited by nergish
  • Upvote 1

Big miss not doing this deal or even offering an extra year.. particularly when they have lost out on every high end winger for the top 6 anyways. 

He really solidified the defense core in a lot of different ways.. skill, culture and size and grit. 

I'll give this management group some benefit of the doubt and some rope to find some value signings like they did last year. 

1 minute ago, ronning4center said:

Oh no...management is on the verge of losing some credit here.  Traded a ton of draft capital to lose zadorov and Lindholm.....we should have signed z.   Big effing mistake.  I'm genuinely upset here

You should look at what happened with the Gillis tenure then. Allvin at least seems to be drafting well.

2 minutes ago, Mike Vanderhoek said:

The issue was role not cap/term

It shouldn't have been.. as I've said in many threads.. he is better than Soucy and should be ahead of him in the depth chart. 

Soucy/Myers should be a really good 3rd pairing on on contending team for 6 million. they should have built out the second pair with Zads and another good D. 

Just now, CanucksFan26 said:

Holy moly y’all melt down easy. I think moving on was right at that cost. 

How so?  Zadorov added a dimension to the playoffs that the Canucks haven't had since 14 years ago.  I think folks would have been fine if we signed Dillon, but that didn't happen either.

4 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Oh no...management is on the verge of losing some credit here.  Traded a ton of draft capital to lose zadorov and Lindholm.....we should have signed z.   Big effing mistake.  I'm genuinely upset here

image.png.f3b0488397e54c4e5dfbb9c173dcfe5b.png

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

4.7 sounded like as high as we would go.

Not sure on the term, maybe 5 years.

They clearly didn’t value him as highly as Boston. 

Fans do . I can’t believe they dropped the ball over $300k. Absolutely disgusted.

• Confused 1

just saying... I called his contract being low enough people would be annoyed we didn't suprise him. Clearly our management didn't view him as a player worthy of a top four contract. 

13 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, $5M is too much for 20 points unless you're Chris Tanev level of defense. All the best to him though. Fuck Boston though.

I think we were all willing to allocate that cap for the physicality and intimidation. Hugely important come playoffs. Now management has to replace that. Zadorov at 5M was an easy win for management.

• Upvote 1

Just now, I.Am.Ironman said:

I think we were all willing to allocate that cap for the physicality and intimidation. Hugely important come playoffs. Now management has to replace that. Zadorov at 5M was an easy win for management.

Forbort is 6'4" if we do end up re-signing him.

I would have offered him this contract and more to stay here in Vancouver. This is the first big fail I’ve seen from this management team. The playoffs are a long and physical grind. I don’t think people realize what an important piece Zadorov was to our hopes of a long playoff run. Sad day for Canucks fans. 

• Sad 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

I responded before seeing the forbort news. Forbort is mean but isn't he quite slow?

Probably. He's not likely as good as Zadorov, but we knew we'd have to downgrade.