[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

'The cap will go up, so it won't hurt so bad'

The cap goes up for everybody, so if a cap hit hurts, it will always hurt. 

If you pay $500,00 too much it will always be $500,00 too much.

That’s not how it works lol. If you pay 500k too much in a 7 year deal, in 5 or 6 years it would be 1 million under marked value. If you always sign guys to 1 or 2 year deals you never get value because of the cap going up since you have to constantly resign them as the cap goes up, so they will get higher contracts on average. Signing someone to a long term deal does give a team the opportunity to benefit from the cap increasing in later years. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Olli Juolevi said:

I think I like the acquisition, but I don't like that contract.

Bingo. I'm ok with DeBrusk (I wasn't pushing to trade for him if it cost us all that much) but 7 years is a lot. He'll be effective at that cap hit for half that.

6 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

That’s not how it works lol. If you pay 500k too much in a 7 year deal, in 5 or 6 years it would be 1 million under marked value. If you always sign guys to 1 or 2 year deals you never get value because of the cap going up since you have to constantly resign them as the cap goes up, so they will get higher contracts on average. Signing someone to a long term deal does give a team the opportunity to benefit from the cap increasing in later years. 

If you start out behind a team, and the cap goes up- you are still behind a team.

Im not too worried about the 7 years.

Depending on where the Canucks are in 3 or 4 years, if Debrusk turns out to be a 25-30 goal scorer in our top 6 is in inconceivable that they flip him for a first rounder or a younger player at one of the trade deadlines in light of what some teams are paying for these type of players (older) today.  Didnt the oilers pay a first rounder for Adam Henrique at the TDL?

Just now, Gurn said:

If you start out behind a team, and the cap goes up- you are still behind a team.

That makes no sense. ‘If you start out behind a team’? 

if you sign a player to a long term deal, it gives you a possibility of gaining value when the cap increases as long as the player doesn’t regress. That’s just a fact, pure unarguable fact. 

This signing reminds me of JT's trade here... Yah I know I this is a fa signing vs trade but the reaction here is similar.  JT was considered a risk and to expensive for what he'd shown up to that point... Inconsistent and maybe a little attitude problem.  Both 27 years old coming here.  Well, we know how JT turned out here.  Debrusk, though not as talented overall, has the right support and system to suit his style of play.  He will out perform his contract right away.  This is a matter of the right player for the right system kind of signing.   

Same goes for all our signings today.  Value, system fit guys.  And now we have cap to see who shakes out from teams against the cap.  

I love this management.  They are educating us on how to manage a professional team for longterm success.  This includes the mistakes... Because no management is perfect, they get from under mistakes quickly.

They are showing restraint when most teams don't and show courage to make moves so our our team has a better chance to compete in the playoffs. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

Bingo. I'm ok with DeBrusk (I wasn't pushing to trade for him if it cost us all that much) but 7 years is a lot. He'll be effective at that cap hit for half that.

It's the nature of free agency I guess. He's young enough that he should still be somewhat useful towards the end and hopefully the cap is well over $100M by the time we get there. 

1 hour ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Boston fans been roasting Debrusk for 3ish years now, there's a reason they didn't commit to him themselves. Lol. Lets not pretend this review is completely baseless. His numbers suggest inconsistent as well. Maybe Tocc and Millsy can instill consistency into him. We'll just have to hope.

Or Boston coaches are assholes 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Olli Juolevi said:

It's the nature of free agency I guess. He's young enough that he should still be somewhat useful towards the end and hopefully the cap is well over $100M by the time we get there. 

The cap rising will help, that's true, but it's a bit extra for me. If he performs well enough that we swap him for Necas, I wouldn't complain.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Captain Kirk said:

So Lind and Zad sign in Boston for only pennies more than what we supposedly offered, they clearly didn't want to play in Vancouver even after toting it as a great place to play? This Debrusk signing reaks of a panic move and the Nucks have clearly gotten worse.................Sigh

Lindholm signed for 750k more than we reportedly offered and the exact same term, and the fit is way better for him. The city and fans had nothing to do with him moving. If we didn't have Petey or Miller there's a chance he can play in a role more suited to him, rather than Petey's RWer to take faceoffs for him. Zads is a weird case, I am guessing they offered him money in the 4mil range. Not pennies less than what he received. I think he would have come back easily if we offered him 5mil.

Definitely NOT an overpay. If he wanted 36million bucks would anyone on here be happy if we paid him 4 x 9.0mil? No of course not! He just signed a contract to be a solid 2nd line forward...perfect! In 4 years time the going price for a 3rd liner will be about 5mil...right where he'll be at when he's 31. This, to me anyways, is an excellent example of paying for exactly what you're getting...not an overpay at all.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Lindholm signed for 750k more than we reportedly offered and the exact same term, and the fit is way better for him. The city and fans had nothing to do with him moving. If we didn't have Petey or Miller there's a chance he can play in a role more suited to him, rather than Petey's RWer to take faceoffs for him. Zads is a weird case, I am guessing they offered him money in the 4mil range. Not pennies less than what he received. I think he would have come back easily if we offered him 5mil.

I think Zadorov just didn’t want to take a discount. He never actually said it himself, might have just been a pr thing. It seems pretty sure that Canucks offered at least 4.7 if not more, so clearly he didn’t want to be here any more than Boston