[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

20 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If a contending team walks away from a "5 time 19+ goal scorer" and the price tag was 5.5mil, you gotta ask yourself, why? Lol. All the talk about his effort being up and down. His ice time never going above 17 minutes a game. Fluctuating year after year. So yeah, he's an unknown. Y'all can cry about all the talk about him, but it's out there. I am in the hopeful camp he can turn it around in our system. But I am still gonna acknowledge the talk about him and give it thought.

Probably because they needed the cap space for a 1C.  That's why they got Lindholm and let DeBrusk walk.  They also needed a top 4 LHD, which is why they went hard after Zadorov.  Zadorov is their new Chara.  Zadorov will love playing in Boston to be totally honest with you.  He's a perfect fit in that organization.  And Lindholm replaces Bergeron.  Not saying Lindholm and Zadorov are Chara and Bergeron, but they are both stylistically similar...

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably because they needed the cap space for a 1C.  That's why they got Lindholm and let DeBrusk walk.  They also needed a top 4 LHD, which is why they went hard after Zadorov.  Zadorov is their new Chara.  Zadorov will love playing in Boston to be totally honest with you.  He's a perfect fit in that organization.  And Lindholm replaces Bergeron.  Not saying Lindholm and Zadorov are Chara and Bergeron, but they are both stylistically similar...

They’re Chara and Bergeron from wish 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hey he's still a great player, but I like the look of the f group a lot, particularly if Lekkerimaki can jump in by the end of the year. 

It's very possible. This is their big fish and I bet he sees at least some time with the parent team at some point this coming year. The short snipits we saw

in Abby was enough to see some major talent.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Hey he's still a great player, but I like the look of the f group a lot, particularly if Lekkerimaki can jump in by the end of the year. 

When I looked at the "depth" signings at forward, it suggested to me that the team sees Lek et al becoming full time NHLers in 2 seasons. That doesn't mean it won't happen sooner, but it appears as that's what they're planning for.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DisgruntledNucksFan said:

👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀👀

A lot had the same reaction to Miller too. 

Next couple of seasons will tell, obviously. 

Personally, no issue with the signing. DeBrusk could certainly bring more truculence in the top 6, on top of Miller. 

That’s what the top 6 also needed, aside from finish. 

I’m ok with giving him a couple season to elevate and situate himself. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Interesting signing. There are a lot of similarities to JT Miller. 

JT was  26/27 when we acquired him, DeBrusk is 27 I think. Both guys were around the 40 - 50 point mark per season at the point in their career.

DeBrusk (like Miller was) is considered an very talented player who can play in all areas of the game but has failed to find consistency in his game and still needs to evolve as a professional. When we traded for JT there were tons of people saying we overpaid for a 3rd line, middle six center. Now there are lots of people saying we overpaid for a 3rd line, middle six winger. I never thought Boston was a good fit for Jake, my Dad was a huge Boston fan and I still watch lots of their games. 

DeBrusk can be a 60 - 70 point guy, the skills are all there, he just needs to figure out the best way to utilize them and I think Tocchet is a good coach to get the most out of him. This will be the best opportunity he has had to reach his potential, Boston is a good team but I felt they weren't built to make use of a guy like DeBrusk and was always waiting for them to trade him. 

I think a fresh start in Vancouver, playing with guys like JT, Hughes and Petey will open up more opportunities to be a scorer.

At worst I see him as a 40 - 50 point guy. At best he could put up 70 points. 

This contract could end up being one of the best in the league, or it could be just ok. I have a hard time seeing this as a contract that will hurt the team.

The dollar value is fine, five years ago this may have been too much, but the average price for players keeps going up and by the end of this contract there be guys putting up less points and singing for more money than DeBrusk is making now. 

The term seems to be the thing that most people are hung up on. Though by year 6 of this deal, the cap will have gone up and probably close to 8 million more than it is now.

Remember the cap likes to go up not down. This is a fair deal at the moment, and by the end it shouldnt be a hamper on the team so long as management doesn't screw up managing the cap. Every team has players that make more than they probably should, the key is balancing it out with good value contracts.

I for one am excited to see DeBrusk play for us and hope he will be able to prove the doubters wrong. 

Also, if the Canucks don't sign anyone they wont be better next year than they were this year. We have to go after guys in FA or we wont build of this last season.

Guys are leaving so we need to bring in other players to fill the voids. With Guentzel off the market we need to look elsewhere to improve. 

You wont always get what you want, so you have to make the most of what you can and do get. 

Good luck JDB. Ill be rooting for you.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

His contract definitely has value based on other contracts, age, and production. It was definitely a smart target.

Lindholm at 8 mil is gonna be a risk. But who knows him and Pasta could light it up.

Still think we need to raise the ceiling of our top 6 with a pure scorer though. Having Suter and Hoglander as regulars shouldn’t be the goal.

Lekkerimaki will be on the 2nd line with EP and DeBrusk and that line will be great as all 3 will elevate each other's play. Imo Petey was half himself and will come in as good or better than ever.

Hoglander will be a good fit if Lekkerimaki joins late in this season.

You may think Lekkerimaki isn't ready but I've watched him very closely and this kid is much better all around than people think and will really surprise fans at how good he is at everything. With skilled players like Petey and DeBrusk I have no doubt he'll fit in and produce very well immediately. DeBrusk will really add great speed and the forcheck that Petey needs with him and DeBrusk can drive to the net well also.

Also the team is going to have an ability to add at the deadline if the 2nd line did struggle but I'm pretty sure they won't.

• Cheers 1