[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

hmm... but that good for the leafs. So I'm torn. 

Is there any way the Lightning, Bruins and Leafs all suck bad and miss the playoffs? Hate them all! Hate the Haberdoodles and Sabres too though. Hate Yzerboy. Hate Tkapuke. That division is to be hated. Can they all miss the playoffs? 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Is there any way the Lightning, Bruins and Leafs all suck bad and miss the playoffs? Hate them all! Hate the Haberdoodles and Sabres too though. Hate Yzerboy. Hate Tkapuke. That division is to be hated. Can they all miss the playoffs? 

no, but maybe they can all be disappointed in round 1 somehow? 

Habs suck, they won't do anything. Sabres too. Nor Detoilet. 

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Mando27 said:

This signing has JT Miller vibes all over it, another underutilized player given a top 6 role with the Canucks. Has the potential to be really good.

the thing about the jt miller situation is just how unique it is. I can't think of many other times where a player suddenly transformed overnight from being  serviceable for 8 seasons to being consistently elite. it's virtually unheard of. 

1 hour ago, Lewlowned said:

Absolutely. Debrusk and Roy were my FA hopefuls, so I’m stoked we got one of em.

While 7 years is a long time, $5.5M is not a lot of money for a top 6. Especially as the cap increases. People need to remember that we already have superstars on our team. We need to support them, not add more superstars.

Debrusk plays in all situations. He’s solid, he’s physical, he’s a good skater, uses bursts to get by defenders and into the open area, has a great shot, and he is clutch in the playoffs.

For anyone wanting to see what his offense looks like, go to https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/players/jake-debrusk , click game log, and scroll over to the far right to the Highlights column. All those little camera icons are clips of all his assists and goals.

I’ve watched a good chunk of them and one of the things I really like is his patience with the puck. He never seems frazzled or overwhelmed, and he’s happy to take the extra beat to make a strong possession-oriented play. He’s also good at separating from defenders and driving to a scoring position. He’s got a few empty netters, which shows his defensive prowess as coach utilizes him in those minutes.

I’ve said it before but this team needs value contracts. We’re about to lose an extra $2.5M off our cap for two years. So we need guys who will play above their contract. Easier when $9M of cap is spread across 3 players rather than isolated in one. And the $3.5M we save not signing Guentzel can go towards Brock’s inevitable raise.

Debrusk may not be the sexiest signing, but that’s part of what I love about it.

I don't know how big Brocks raise will be. He's already getting paid 6.7M and while he finally scored 40, he still wasnt a point per game player either. 

I could see a raise up to 8M but I think 9M would be a stretch

3 minutes ago, Wheres Wellwood said:

I don't know how big Brocks raise will be. He's already getting paid 6.7M and while he finally scored 40, he still wasnt a point per game player either. 

I think he gets around 30 next year with the scoring being spread out.  With debrusk scoring 27 twice making 5.5....I think Boesers 6.75 is about right moving forward.  Dude is too fragile emotionally to move to another city. I see him aging out right here in Vancouver 

So Debrusk played with a broken hand in the second half of the season that didn’t heal until the playoff week. Explains his season production compared to his playoff production. Makes me even more excited with this signing.

• Cheers 1

All things considered, did we really get worse?

I remember most fans being super critical of Lindholm during the season, then he turned perceptions around in the playoffs.

Yet, despite his "good" playoffs, he wasn't a scoring machine. He played well defensively and scored some timely goals, but so did Joshua and Joshua wasn't asking for 8mill a season. Lindholm couldn't play on the wing with Petey and spent most of his time in Vancouver as a 3rd line center. We needed a guy to play on Petey's wing and Lindholm wasn't the guy, paying him 8 million to center the 3rd line is just dumb. If we resign Zad and Lindholm then no way we can afford a top 6 winger to play with Petey.

Also, remember, we were one the top teams in the league before we acquired Zadorov, and we were still a very good team before acquiring Lindholm.

We wouldve made the playoffs if we hadn't acquired either of those guys. Now we have DeBrusk to play top 6 winger minutes and fill a void. Boeser was our only legit natural top 6 winger during the playoffs and that was a huge problem.

Zadorov as well got lots of flack on these forums during the season. I remember all the hate he would get when he thru a hit that ended with a bad penalty or that took him out of position. Lots of fans were calling him chaos giraffe 2.0.  Even in the playoff, he was physical sure, but it was Meyers and Soucy who had the toughest jobs trying to shut down the opponents best forwards. Zad got lots of attention for his big hits, attitude and timely goals but I wouldn't say any of that's more important than strong but unflashy dzone play.

I like both Lindholm and Zad, but it was obvious that Lindy wasn't filling a need on this team and a sub par regular season performance with 14 pretty good games in the playoffs doesn't warrant 8 million dollars. I think DeBrusk will help this team score goals more than Lindholm. 

Zadorov was the guy I wanted to keep, but I cant help but question why some people complain that 7 years is too long for a 27 year old prime aged top 6 winger but will say that signing a 32 year old dman to similar term and money is fine. I wouldn't have signed Zad to the deal Boston gave him. 

We lost center depth but improved on the wing. Losing depth at a position of abundance and gaining depth at a position of weakness in my opinion is an improvement that makes the forward core better. Defense is the unknown entity. Zadorov may not be as good as our fond memories of his play makes him out to be, but he is much better than the guys we got in FA. We improved bottom depth on defense but lost depth in the top 4. That may or may not be a good outcome. So time will tell. 

I wish they kept Zadorov, but I understand management being hesitant to commit too much term to an aging dman, and big dman tend to really slow down as they age.

Overall, I say we will be slightly better at forward and slightly worse on defense. I also think management concluded that goaltending was a bigger factor in our defensive numbers then our defenders and is betting that Demko will keep pucks out of the net even with a slightly worse d-core. 

Allvin and JR have turned this team around, we may not always like the moves they make but results speak for themselves. We are a much better team now then when before Allvin and JR took over. So I'm gonna wait till the regular season before a definitively say one way or the other.

I do like DeBrusk, Sherwood and Heinen and  I am fine with each of their contracts, and am excited to see what they bring to this team. Desharnais is a ?, but 2 mill isn't some gross overpayment, slightly overpaid but this deal isn't going to prevent this team from resigning guys or acquiring guys 2 - 3 years from now.

Lets see what this team has in store for us! Go Canucks Go!

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, ronning4center said:

I think he gets around 30 next year with the scoring being spread out.  With debrusk scoring 27 twice making 5.5....I think Boesers 6.75 is about right moving forward.  Dude is too fragile emotionally to move to another city. I see him aging out right here in Vancouver 

nope sorry. trade him to devils for bedard..... 

2 hours ago, Wheres Wellwood said:

Could he be replaced by a cheaper Lekkermaki next year?

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Debrusk has spent some time in a lot of areas of the PP but particularly bumper and in front of the net.

We might have found the Horvat replacement on the PP. 

mostly net front, a little bit bumper. 

brock spent more time as the season went on in the bumper and looked pretty good there, I wouldn't be surprised if they explore that more. 

that said, the overall focus for tocchet and yogi and the pp units will be on playing a positionless, road hockey style, constantly attacking the net and recovering loose pucks. 

The more this sets in the more excited I am about the addition & more optimistic I am about the contract being a good one for the team.

He'll be given a great opportunity to be a 30+ goal scorer & 60+ point player, but even if he continues as a streaky 20-25+ goal / 40-50+ point guy that contract will be just fine as the cap goes up, and even in that worst case he'll still step up in the playoffs. 

Really excited to see him in a Canucks jersey.

• Cheers 1