[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

3 hours ago, nergish said:

We know he can blow a puck by any goaltender in any league. Petey just needs to be physically strong enough to get to the scoring areas consistently. The question is - can he?

I guess we'll see come training camp whether he's gotten stronger or not. But he has to know that's what he needed to work on right? Tocchet and his staff would've told him that's an area of weakness that needs to be improved this coming season. The good thing is that everything on Petey's front has been quiet. So hopefully no news means good news, and that he's working his ass off. That massive 11.6m per season deal kicks in next season doesn't it? He's going to feel the weight and pressure of this city once that contract kicks in. I'm hoping for the Canucks' sake, that he can handle the pressure and stress. 

8 hours ago, nergish said:

We know he can blow a puck by any goaltender in any league. Petey just needs to be physically strong enough to get to the scoring areas consistently. The question is - can he?

This is where he needs better line mates who can help create more space, which I think Debrusk can do. 

But even having a good shooting threat like Kuzy who wasn't physical in the least improved things a ton.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

This is where he needs better line mates who can help create more space, which I think Debrusk can do. 

But even having a good shooting threat like Kuzy who wasn't physical in the least improved things a ton.

I think Debrusk is a huge improvement on Kuzmenko, simply based on the fact that he's a better player defensively, but Debrusk can also score as well. 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

I guess we'll see come training camp whether he's gotten stronger or not. But he has to know that's what he needed to work on right? Tocchet and his staff would've told him that's an area of weakness that needs to be improved this coming season. The good thing is that everything on Petey's front has been quiet. So hopefully no news means good news, and that he's working his ass off. That massive 11.6m per season deal kicks in next season doesn't it? He's going to feel the weight and pressure of this city once that contract kicks in. I'm hoping for the Canucks' sake, that he can handle the pressure and stress. 

He shoildn’t feel any pressure since McDavid couldn’t do squat on his own against us.

But if he fets two good players veside him and a D that is behind him and still doesn’t produce. Then we can talk about pressure. 

2 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I'd be okay with trying that. Hard to break up Dak and Gnarly, but it's worth a try.

I'd start the season with Garland and Joshua. That duo has been incredible for us. 

• Like 2
  • Wiener 1

1 hour ago, LillStrimma said:

He shoildn’t feel any pressure since McDavid couldn’t do squat on his own against us.

But if he fets two good players veside him and a D that is behind him and still doesn’t produce. Then we can talk about pressure. 

That's true. This upcoming season is going to be huge for Petey. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Hughes said:

Omg we got Debrusk?! Awesome!

And at a super team friendly AAV! Geuntzel is at 9 per. We got Debrusk at 5.5. And playing with Petey Debrusk will be a 35 + 35 guy. He will have a better season than Geuntzel and for a lot less cost. Another huge win for us!!!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

And at a super team friendly AAV! Geuntzel is at 9 per. We got Debrusk at 5.5. And playing with Petey Debrusk will be a 35 + 35 guy. He will have a better season than Geuntzel and for a lot less cost. Another huge win for us!!!

Put him with garland he’s a 50 goal scorer Alf 😉

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Hammertime said:

I like the idea of

Debrusk Pete Garland

I still say I’d like to see

Debrusk - Petey - Garland

Joshua - Heinen/Suter - Podz

the other of Suter/Heinen can play on Millers line.

1 minute ago, NorthWestNuck said:

I still say I’d like to see

Debrusk - Petey - Garland

Joshua - Heinen/Suter - Podz

the other of Suter/Heinen can play on Millers line.

Heinen has a career high of 12 faceoff wins and 32 in his entire career. I really reckon he won't be playing center.

6 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Heinen has a career high of 12 faceoff wins and 32 in his entire career. I really reckon he won't be playing center.

Didn’t know that, lol.

so leave Heinen with Miller and Substitute Heinen for Bleuger in above post. Still want to see Podz tried with Joshua. For a bit atleast, since we know we can always go back to Joshua and Garland if it doesn’t work.

What’s the verdict? 

Still think it’s a fair deal myself. Nothing less, nothing more. Happy to have a Canadian on the team again. Probably fit nicely with Pete or JT. Hopefully Pete to balance out the top 6 

• Vintage 1

8 minutes ago, Devron said:

What’s the verdict? 

Still think it’s a fair deal myself. Nothing less, nothing more. Happy to have a Canadian on the team again. Probably fit nicely with Pete or JT. Hopefully Pete to balance out the top 6 

Agreed. It doesn’t give me the immediate heartburn that the Mikheyev signing did. If he stays consistent with how he was in Boston the deal is fair value. If he exceeds; which I think most here would agree is likely, it’s a great deal. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Didn’t know that, lol.

so leave Heinen with Miller and Substitute Heinen for Bleuger in above post. Still want to see Podz tried with Joshua. For a bit atleast, since we know we can always go back to Joshua and Garland if it doesn’t work.

Heinen has never spent much time as a top 6 player. Why would it work for him now?

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Alflives said:

It’s hard not to think that DeBrusk is better value at his age, saving 3.5 million per year and the 3rd TB gave up to sign him. 

He also helps the identity of the team. Along with Heinen and Sherwood, and added to Joshua, and Hoglander we should be a real pain in the ass on the forecheck.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Heinen has never spent much time as a top 6 player. Why would it work for him now?

Heinen was used in Boston this past season the same way Suter was used here. He was the puck retrieval/extra defensive safety guy for Pastrnak and Zacha. No reason to see why he can't fulfill that same role here. He's a better skater and a little bit more physical than Suter while putting up similar offense (slightly higher PPG than Suter this past season).

Edited by Diamonds
  • Like 2

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic
6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Who would you rather? None of our other options have really either. Suter did a bit, but are you really suggesting he’s that much better if an option than Heinen? I’m just saying we have options to try.

1 hour ago, NorthWestNuck said:

Who would you rather? None of our other options have really either. Suter did a bit, but are you really suggesting he’s that much better if an option than Heinen? I’m just saying we have options to try.

They likely will try different combinations, but Suter was a fine support player on Millers wing... The line was dynamite, so its not as if it didn't work...