[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

I can see Debrusk with Miller and Boeser as the line going up against the other teams top line.  We are paying Joshua $3.25 million and he just had a breakout year, so let's see if he can take another step.

DeBrusk        Miller              Boeser

Joshua          Pettersson     Lekkerimaki

Heinen          Blueger          Garland

Podkolzin     Suter              Sherwood

I think Allvin is hoping that Lekkerimaki makes the jump right away, so he will be the goal scorer for Petey.  Joshua can bring the size and physicality on that line.  Heinen would be great as a 3rd liner.  

I think we still need a 4C.  I was bummed we didn't get Stenlund.  I think Suter and Hoglander both need to be traded IMO.  With $3.8 million in cap space including LTIR,  don't think we are finished yet.  We could still go after a top 4 LHD via a trade as well as a 4C...

• Upvote 1

There's just something about some guys that get bored until the games really matter.

It happens in all sports. Guys that during the regular season play so so... you see what they can do but they seem ... bored...

Then the playoffs come and they seem to be a different beast entirely.

That's ok on a team that will make the playoffs most of the time. Not so much for fringe teams. 

Let's hope LDB is one of those. 

Edited by Sacrilage

2 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

I think Zadorov just didn’t want to take a discount. He never actually said it himself, might have just been a pr thing. It seems pretty sure that Canucks offered at least 4.7 if not more, so clearly he didn’t want to be here any more than Boston 

I'm thinking money was the same or similar.  It was the duration of the contract that tipped the scale for the Bruins 

1 minute ago, Pianoman said:

I think Zadorov just didn’t want to take a discount. He never actually said it himself, might have just been a pr thing. It seems pretty sure that Canucks offered at least 4.7 if not more, so clearly he didn’t want to be here any more than Boston 

He said he was willing to take a discount, but only to a certain point. That tells me they were offering less than 4.5mil for him.

10 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

Seems like they ran out of everyone they wanted to sign for a top 6 role and toss out a massive term for a career guy around 40 points 

Average 2nd line player is 45 points, right around where he is. He is an average 2nd line player in the prime of his career 

1 minute ago, Sacrilage said:

There's just something about some guys that get bored until the games really matter.

It happens in all sports. Guys that during the regular season play so so... yoi see what they can do but they seem ... bored...

The  the playoffs come and they seem to be a different beast entirely.

That's ok on a team that will make the playoffs most of the time.

Let's hope LDB is one of those. 

Elias returning to the 100 point forward he was (and not invisible in the post season) will mean more than any of these free agents (lost or otherwise).

1 minute ago, Pianoman said:

Average 2nd line player is 45 points, right around where he is. He is an average 2nd line player in the prime of his career 

Replaces what they hoped they would have got in Mikheyev basically.

They still need to get creative and snag a pure goal scorer though. Skinner on the cheap might not look so bad. 

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

He said he was willing to take a discount, but only to a certain point. That tells me they were offering less than 4.5mil for him.

So you believe what he said about the discount, and just ignore all the reports that we offered 4.5m for him initially, and the upwards of 4.7 later? I mean you might be right, but I just think it’s more likely it was much closer and he just chose elsewhere 

Just now, Pianoman said:

So you believe what he said about the discount, and just ignore all the reports that we offered 4.5m for him initially, and the upwards of 4.7 later? I mean you might be right, but I just think it’s more likely it was much closer and he just chose elsewhere 

Well, he left for 5mil. So I think it's more likely we lowballed him than offered him near 5mil. Lol. Unless you're suggesting he doesn't like the city or fans.

7 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

We didn't offer Zadorov 6 years.  That was the issue.  If we had offered him 4.75x6 he would have stayed...

• Cheers 1

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

Well, he left for 5mil. So I think it's more likely we lowballed him than offered him near 5mil. Lol. Unless you're suggesting he doesn't like the city or fans.

No no, it’s more that I just think he wasn’t really willing to take a discount as much as we all thought. Oooor we offered similar money but less term, and he really cared about term. 

If we had to overpay, I would have much rather overpaid Zadorov (who was a monster for us in the playoffs) than to overpay Debrusk and then signed a less expensive winger. 

I don’t know if Debrusk’s consistency issues justify signing him to that kind of money for 7 years.

I really hope that I’m wrong. 

This years playoff run was such a breath of fresh air for this fan base, and I hope we can take another step this coming season. 

Go Canucks Go!

• Upvote 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

No no, it’s more that I just think he wasn’t really willing to take a discount as much as we all thought. Oooor we offered similar money but less term, and he really cared about term. 

They gave 7 years to an unknown in Debrusk. I don't think term was the issue, and I really do think Zadorov would have taken a discount here. But, I guess we'll never truly know.

1 minute ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

If we had to overpay, I would have much rather overpaid Zadorov (who was a monster for us in the playoffs) than to overpay Debrusk and then signed a less expensive winger. 

I don’t know if Debrusk’s consistency issues justify signing him to that kind of money for 7 years.

I really hope that I’m wrong. 

This years playoff run was such a breath of fresh air for this fan base, and I hope we can take another step this coming season. 

Go Canucks Go!

Zadorov is inconsistent too.

Debrusk was also very good for Boston in the last two playoffs. 17 points in 20 games.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

As much as Petey & the team denies it, I have to believe he was playing with an injury.  Just my belief/speculation.

I agree it was a mix of at least 1 injury possibly 2 and confidence issues.

The proof I saw was his shot and stick handling were never poorer than last season and his speed and stability were visibly worse.

As for Petey although I was extremely disappointed in him, I'm also extremely sure that not only will Petey be as good as ever, he'll be better than ever. I also feel that whoever his linemates are I'm thinking DuBrusk, Lekkerimaki... and or someone at the deadline if needed it's a strong possibility he'll fit better this time because it wasn't just his linemates dragging his line down.

Edited by MoneyMiller
  • Upvote 1

Just now, JeremyCuddles said:

They gave 7 years to an unknown in Debrusk. I don't think term was the issue, and I really do think Zadorov would have taken a discount here. But, I guess we'll never truly know.

Debrusk isn’t an unknown though. He has average second line numbers despite missing some time in the last few seasons and minimal pp time, and is in his prime. Personally I really like the signing. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pianoman said:

Debrusk isn’t an unknown though. He has average second line numbers despite missing some time in the last few seasons and minimal pp time, and is in his prime. Personally I really like the signing. 

He's an unknown from the standpoint we don't know his fit here. And his inconsistency offensively is a touch worrying. But, he did evolve his defensive game last season. At least he isn't as unknown as Mikheyev was before we overpaid him. But I still think we gave up a few too many years on him, but I am hopeful he finds chemistry with Petey.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Pianoman said:

I was just reading a random article from tsn that was breaking down all the signings, and it said the DeBrusk signing was one of the best ones today.

and gave the Lindholm one a C plus and Zadorov a C minus.

just one non-Vancouver writer’s opinion

His contract definitely has value based on other contracts, age, and production. It was definitely a smart target.

Lindholm at 8 mil is gonna be a risk. But who knows him and Pasta could light it up.

Still think we need to raise the ceiling of our top 6 with a pure scorer though. Having Suter and Hoglander as regulars shouldn’t be the goal.

• Like 2