[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

17 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

They gave 7 years to an unknown in Debrusk. I don't think term was the issue, and I really do think Zadorov would have taken a discount here. But, I guess we'll never truly know.

What exactly is "unknown" about a player who has scored 19+ goals 5 times in the NHL?  I would say that is pretty consistent goal scoring year after year...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

9 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

He's an unknown from the standpoint we don't know his fit here. And his inconsistency offensively is a touch worrying. But, he did evolve his defensive game last season. At least he isn't as unknown as Mikheyev was before we overpaid him. But I still think we gave up a few too many years on him, but I am hopeful he finds chemistry with Petey.

Couldn't you say that about every UFA?  Was there some type of guarantee that Guentzel was going to fit perfectly with Petey?  How did it work out with Lindholm?  He was supposed to be a good fit with Petey until he wasn't.  Fact is we don't know how players will fit into the lineup until they get here and start playing.  That is the risk of any player and why some trades on paper look great but in reality don't work out...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Snoop Hogg said:

I really don’t like any contracts being longer than 4 years. 

I can live with the cap hit if he pots 25+ goals a year though.

Hard to get a 27 year old for less than a 5 year deal though.

If you’re offering 4 years it’s likely for a 30+ year old.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

What exactly is "unknown" about a player who has scored 19+ goals 5 times in the NHL?  I would say that is pretty consistent goal scoring year after year...

If a contending team walks away from a "5 time 19+ goal scorer" and the price tag was 5.5mil, you gotta ask yourself, why? Lol. All the talk about his effort being up and down. His ice time never going above 17 minutes a game. Fluctuating year after year. So yeah, he's an unknown. Y'all can cry about all the talk about him, but it's out there. I am in the hopeful camp he can turn it around in our system. But I am still gonna acknowledge the talk about him and give it thought.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Hard to get a 27 year old for less than a 5 year deal though.

If you’re offering 4 years it’s likely for a 30+ year old.

I agree. It’s just my preference though. These longer deals can handcuff teams. Conversely, they can be bargains. 

Having said that, I’d have preferred to offer 4 years for Stamkos.

5 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Couldn't you say that about every UFA?  Was there some type of guarantee that Guentzel was going to fit perfectly with Petey?  How did it work out with Lindholm?  He was supposed to be a good fit with Petey until he wasn't.  Fact is we don't know how players will fit into the lineup until they get here and start playing.  That is the risk of any player and why some trades on paper look great but in reality don't work out...

There's always a lot less guess work in terms of fit when it comes to an elite player.

Guentzel would have fit fine here, and significantly helped the PP.

I always thought that his dad is one of the guys who trolls on here and at the old site. I guess he'll have to bite down on his dislike of us a little bit now.

A good signing in my view. He played in a solid system, so he should fit in right away. Gives Tocchet more options in the top 6.

5 minutes ago, Mrwipeout said:

who needs Lindholm when we get Debrusk...:picard:

Debrusk is a better fit and cheaper. I love Lindholm, but with Petey and Miller wasn't going to be put in the best situation for his talents. There's a reason Lindholm left, it wasn't purely money, although and extra 750k ain't nothing. He gets to be 1C instead of 2nd line RW. He'll get 1st unit PP. Just a better all around fit. I am worried about Debrusk, but at the end of the day. I think fit wise this is better and gave us more cap flexibility to add a Forbort on the blueline.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Debrusk is a better fit and cheaper. I love Lindholm, but with Petey and Miller wasn't going to be put in the best situation for his talents. There's a reason Lindholm left, it wasn't purely money, although and extra 750k ain't nothing. He gets to be 1C instead of 2nd line RW. He'll get 1st unit PP. Just a better all around fit. I am worried about Debrusk, but at the end of the day. I think fit wise this is better and gave us more cap flexibility to add a Forbort on the blueline.

still i would have preferred a winger of guentzel quality considering Lindholms qualities. ...will see what he can do. 

13 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

If a contending team walks away from a "5 time 19+ goal scorer" and the price tag was 5.5mil, you gotta ask yourself, why? Lol. All the talk about his effort being up and down. His ice time never going above 17 minutes a game. Fluctuating year after year. So yeah, he's an unknown. Y'all can cry about all the talk about him, but it's out there. I am in the hopeful camp he can turn it around in our system. But I am still gonna acknowledge the talk about him and give it thought.

Because their top C last season was Pavel fucking Zacha. 😂😂😂

Edited by canuck73_3
  • ThereItIs 3
  • chaos 1

1 minute ago, Bob Long said:

When this deal is done he'll be the same age as Toffoli now.

Dunno, I'm pretty happy with how that F group looks now. 

We need one more RHD tho.

All in all, I’m ok. Maybe a year too long but that’s the reality of July 1st. 

Still think this team will be solid with him in the lineup. 

• ThereItIs 1