[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

1 minute ago, MoneyMiller said:

Lekkerimaki will be on the 2nd line with EP and DeBrusk and that line will be great as all 3 will elevate each other's play. Imo Petey was half himself and will come in as good or better than ever.

Hoglander will be a good fit if Lekkerimaki joins late in this season.

You may think Lekkerimaki isn't ready but I've watched him very closely and this kid is much better all around than people think and will really surprise fans at how good he is at everything. With skilled players like Petey and DeBrusk I have no doubt he'll fit in and produce very well immediately. DeBrusk will really add great speed and the forcheck that Petey needs with him and DeBrusk can drive to the net well also.

Also the team is going to have an ability to add at the deadline if the 2nd line did struggle but I'm pretty sure they won't.

Well certainly hope you are right about Lekkerimaki... 

35 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably because they needed the cap space for a 1C.  That's why they got Lindholm and let DeBrusk walk.  They also needed a top 4 LHD, which is why they went hard after Zadorov.  Zadorov is their new Chara.  Zadorov will love playing in Boston to be totally honest with you.  He's a perfect fit in that organization.  And Lindholm replaces Bergeron.  Not saying Lindholm and Zadorov are Chara and Bergeron, but they are both stylistically similar...

Spot on amigo... That entire organisation and fan base wants a new Chara...

Whether Z will live up to that is irrelevant... at least management has shown the fans they are doing what they can to give them that...

Good for them...

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Moose said:

EP gets paid to make others around him better. 

Sure, but I lost count of the number of beauty setups Petey dished to players like stone hand Mik this season, and just weren't buried. Wouldn't be surprised if an even halfway competent goal scorer puts up record numbers with Petey next season!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dippitybop said:

With the money thrown around, 5.5 AAV is a good deal. 7 years seems long but he’s one of the younger FAs out there.

Those that would have rather us throw the 6x5mil to Zadorov forgets he was Canucks’ 6th defencemen in ice time through the regular season, had a spectacular playoffs but doesn’t translate to a 6x5mil imo

Finally someone comes out and says it. Lots of Jekyll and Hyde fans here. They don’t want to overpay and are critical of long contracts but can’t seem to understand that Zads was a borderline top 4 defenseman his entire career and more so a 4-5-6 guy and is now 30. He’s never had a season that would justify 6 x 5. I absolutely loved him here and he was a force in the playoffs for us but not worth the contract he got in Boston. Upcoming season he would’ve been our 3rd pair guy again making 5m until he was 36. 

• Cheers 3

FWIW, a buddy of mine is a huge Habs fan, and watches all their games. And he’s pretty good at judging player/contract value, etc.

He thinks Debrusk was the best signing of the day, and wishes Montreal got him for that contract. Says he’s everything you want in a 2nd line player.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Probably because they needed the cap space for a 1C.  That's why they got Lindholm and let DeBrusk walk.  They also needed a top 4 LHD, which is why they went hard after Zadorov.  Zadorov is their new Chara.  Zadorov will love playing in Boston to be totally honest with you.  He's a perfect fit in that organization.  And Lindholm replaces Bergeron.  Not saying Lindholm and Zadorov are Chara and Bergeron, but they are both stylistically similar...

Wish we had someone stylistically similar to Chara…

2 minutes ago, Blue said:

Big money to pay for a thug. 

True. I guess that depends if the “thug” can help the team beat up other teams physically on a playoff run while also providing offense and defense. I’m not trying to derail the topic. I’m just saying if we were going to overpay someone in any position, he would have been my choice to overpay over Debrusk.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

But Zadorov has the intangibles we need in the playoffs. He lays a hurting on guys and he gets in their heads. We wouldn’t have gone as far as we did without him in my opinion. 

I wanted to keep Zadorov too. He was actually the one I was hoping to stay the most.

I think one of the main factors is forwards tend to be paid more than defensemen, so while it seems like we could have put that money towards Zadorov, the question is whether or not we're getting the same value. How much money do we want to put towards those intangibles? Out bias is going to say we're willing to pay, but it is still more than what other teams are paying for similar-like players.

Obviously, we'll have to wait and see with this Debrusk signing.

This will become one of the better signings this year. This kinda reminds a bit of when the Canucks got JT Miller. Similar age, similar style, similar numbers. Liked that trade, like this signing. DeBrusk will be a beast for the Canucks, him and Petey will be a nightmare for the opposition. Well done PA

Edited by VanOriginal
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I wanted to keep Zadorov too. He was actually the one I was hoping to stay the most.

I think one of the main factors is forwards tend to be paid more than defensemen, so while it seems like we could have put that money towards Zadorov, the question is whether or not we're getting the same value. How much money do we want to put towards those intangibles? Out bias is going to say we're willing to pay, but it is still more than what other teams are paying for similar-like players.

Zad showed well in the playoffs. More than his play he brought a much needed flair for physical play and a disregard for the opposition. My concern was always whether he could bump Soucy from the 2LD or not. Soucy had 2 injuries last year that impacted his season. It was a nice problem to have at LD. Zad is gone and Desarnais is in that slot. Just as big a player but doesn't have the upside of Zad. At $2M he is a solid 3LD and obviously more affordable. It looks like Meyers will be the 2RD unless RT splits Hughes and Hronek more. I think that experiment has to happen. If it does who goes to 1RD? With almost $5 mil left will PA add another RD or look for another top 6 winger? Nice that PA has options. 

9 minutes ago, Rush said:

Leafs and Dangle have a lot of XP vs DeBrusk and Boston. Glowing review.

The fact that they're saying Vancouver taking DeBrusk is the nicest thing we could have done for Toronto speaks volumes in my opinion.

No Zadorov? Well we now have DeBrusk to be a new nightmare for opposing teams in the playoffs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I really hope Debrusk works out. That’s a decent size contract if he doesn’t. 

Just now, The Lock said:

He's historically a playoff performer if that helps ease your mind.

It does as long as our other players like Forbort can provide the intangibles we’ve lost. I’ll also be very happy if signing him helps get Petey going. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Roger Neilsons Towel said:

It does as long as our other players like Forbort can provide the intangibles we’ve lost. I’ll also be very happy if signing him helps get Petey going. 

Yeah, the thing that intrigues me is Desharnais. I mentioned this in that thread but he was drafted 7th round 8 years ago, was in the ECHL and only recently became and NHLer. The guy's worked his butt off and could easily be a dark horse.

Between DeBrusk, Heinan, and Desharnais, I'm actually kind of stoked to be honest. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, the thing that intrigues me is Desharnais. I mentioned this in that thread but he was drafted 7th round 8 years ago, was in the ECHL and only recently became and NHLer. The guy's worked his butt off and could easily be a dark horse.

Wouldn’t that be an amazing story. Reminds me a bit of Burrows’ path to the NHL. Albeit different players/timelines. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Between DeBrusk, Heinan, and Desharnais, I'm actually kind of stoked to be honest. lol

You forgot about Sherwood. Who will probably be competing for top hits on our team and has speed. 

He averaged 5.5 hits a game in the playoffs vs us. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

You forgot about Sherwood. Who will probably be competing for top hits on our team and has speed. 

He averaged 5.5 hits a game in the playoffs vs us. 

Good point! I'll totally accept being corrected in forgetting about him.