[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

That’s where I don’t understand such a wild strategy shift.

You go from being willing to commit huge dollars to one player to spending all that money on depth.

That may have been the best non move we could have made. But it makes me wonder how they’re satisfied not filling their need of an elite player to play with Petey.

Debrusk isn’t a bad alternative and we might be developing a similar quality player in Lekkerimaki. 

Both may be enough to help push Petey’s line to great heights. 

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Debrusk isn’t a bad alternative and we might be developing a similar quality player in Lekkerimaki. 

Both may be enough to help push Petey’s line to great heights. 

Oh don’t get me wrong I would have liked this Debrusk signing as a support player regardless of other moves.

I just think they still need to take a big swing on a big time goal scorer. 

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You go from being willing to commit huge dollars to one player to spending all that money on depth.

That may have been the best non move we could have made. But it makes me wonder how they’re satisfied not filling their need of an elite player to play with Petey.

it makes me wonder how we would have filled out the rest of the lineup if we did land JG. Without moving Garland e.g., I don't see how we shore up the d. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Oh don’t get me wrong I would have liked this Debrusk signing as a support player regardless of other moves.

I just think they still need to take a big swing on a big time goal scorer. 

I'm sure they are waiting for price on Necas to come down, Necas said he does not want to be in CAR

Just now, canucks curse said:

I'm sure they are waiting for price on Necas to come down, Necas said he does not want to be in CAR

I would be thrilled if true, but where would we get the cap space for Necas?

Assuming silovs at 1m, and that Hoglander would be part of a deal for Necas, we'd only have about 3m of cap space. 

1 minute ago, Devron said:

Our forward group is set now, if anything we need a top 4 Dman. I doubt they are interested in Necas now if they at all were to begin with 

I think the top 4 D man ship has sailed unless they can convince Schultz to sign for cheap.

I think goal scorer for Petey still needs to be looked at.

6 hours ago, Olli Juolevi said:

I think I like the acquisition, but I don't like that contract.

You expect to pay for quality in free agency. I was hoping for Guentzel and keeping Zadorov, but the money was not possible. I like the additions to forward, I think we are stronger there, but I’m concerned about the three and four spots on D 

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

I think the top 4 D man ship has sailed unless they can convince Schultz to sign for cheap.

It would have to be a trade. They aren’t signing anyone else unless it’s >million. Defence should be a priority. Peteys fine. He was well over a 100 point pace before his injury and contract stuff 

6 hours ago, Master Mind said:

Mikeheyv 2.0

We'll be paying someone to take him off our hands in a few years

The cap will increase over the years most likely, so that five mil now will be the equivalent of three and a bit in five years - it will be a reasonable piece of the cap - barring injury (Mikheyev was not the same after the knee injury).

3 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

yeah it's gonna be defence by committee, they're gambling that size and structure can overcome pedigree. 

I agree they need a goalscoring winger and I'd like necas if they can make it work, but I also like frank vatrano and he doesn't really fit anaheim's age group at all. we know tocchet likes him from the all star game and I think he has some kind of history with petey somehow? great value for this year, probably not too unreasonable to retain.  

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

PA also said that he sees Debrusk slotting in with Petey. I guess we'll see how that works out.

As far as the strategic shift, it looks like the 9-9.5 they were looking to spend on JG got spent on Debrusk, Heinen and Sherwood (9.25 combined) instead once JG was off the table. 

I suppose they could have held onto the cap space instead and maybe used it as leverage in a future trade for a scoring winger, but looking at the current trade market and what Carolina was asking for Necas, I can understand why they pulled the trigger on plan B. 

20 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I just think they still need to take a big swing on a big time goal scorer

Yes. But who is that now going to be? Most of the players that were free to acquire without giving up assets are no longer on the board. They're literally all gone within the first hour of free agency this morning. 

Just now, Coryberg said:

I'm glad that the one contract we went long on was a 27 year old (takes him to 34). Compare that to Toffoli (5 years older, 4 years takes him to 36) or Marchessault (6 years older, 5 years that take him to 38).

Nashville went bonkers this morning, signing both Stamkos AND Marchessault. Wow. Two 40 goal scorers, though they're older in age for sure. 

2 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Teravainen (29) signed in Chicago for 3x5.4M vs Debrusk (27) at 7x5.5M. Teravainen is definitely the better scorer, I was hoping the Canucks would be in on him. 3x5.4 is very reasonable.

I was hoping that management would sign Teravainen, but it's too bad that they missed out on him. 

4 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I was hoping that management would sign Teravainen, but it's too bad that they missed out on him. 

Big difference between those players.

One is a Tocchet player, one is not.

DeBrusk hits and is really good on the forecheck. Ask Leaf’s fans how they feel about DeBrusk leaving their division and there’s your answer.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, greenbean30 said:

It wouldn't shock me to see the team go.

Debrusk-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Petterson-Garland

Hogs-Bluegar-Heinen

Podz-Suter-Sherwood

At least to start and see if there is chemistry with Joshua, Petey and Garly.

They’ve gotta give your 2nd line a long look in the fall. I think it has great potential. It was discussed on Canucks Talk last week, after the Joshua signing broke. They only had 12 minutes together all season, I’m guessing that was due to overlapping shifts and whatnot. But it makes sense on paper, and Petey could definitely help bring Joshua’s offence up another level.