[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

17 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I like the idea of Necas I just don't see what we are trading unless Carolina is accepting Hoglander + 1st, which seems like less than they had on the table at the draft.

We would need to move more salary than that. Garland would have to go the other way.

6 minutes ago, Willander the Great said:

I don’t know if this has been posted, but these podcast guys are Maple Leaf fans and hearing what they have to say about Debrusk is actually pretty insightful as they have seen a ton of him in the regular season as well as the playoffs. 

Long story short, they are ecstatic that’s he signed out west because they hated playing against him… which of course is a good thing lol. 

“This is a feisty, pain in the ass, hard forechecking, capable scoring player.”

When Debrusk is good, he’s very good. It’s the consistency that matters. 

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Dangle seems to hate him.... in a good way 😅

edit: somehow missed @Willander the Great had already posted the video at the top of the page 

Edited by Dizzle
  • Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

I was actually a little surprised at the goal totals, which gives me some hope that the time he gets with Petey will pay off.

JGs assist numbers could go up with Petey as well.

Jake is a Cy Young winner like Ron Sedlbauer.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Willander the Great said:

I don’t know if this has been posted, but these podcast guys are Maple Leaf fans and hearing what they have to say about Debrusk is actually pretty insightful as they have seen a ton of him in the regular season as well as the playoffs. 

Long story short, they are ecstatic that’s he signed out west because they hated playing against him… which of course is a good thing lol. 

Sounds like Ric Tocchet (as a player).🥸

• Cheers 2

12 hours ago, thesauce said:

I live in Boston so I'm pretty familiar with his game. He was given every opportunity to succeed in the top 6 and still fell short of expectations. Inconsistent offensively and soft. There's a reason Boston let him walk to FA.

With that said, he's got a lot of speed, has decent hands, and can play anywhere up and down the lineup. Definitely not a playdriver so he'll be a good complimentary piece depending on where he slots in. 

Wait till he spends some time with Rick Tocchet... yee-hah.  😇

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, J-23 said:

But that’s what separates a 5 million dollar player and an 8 million dollar player isn’t it?

If he could play at that level every night we couldn’t afford him.

I like what someone else pointed out about a Miller and a Debrusk comparison. Similar production at this age and both struggled with consistency. Can Debrusk find that next level here like Miller did?

• Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 3

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I like the idea of Necas I just don't see what we are trading unless Carolina is accepting Hoglander + 1st, which seems like less than they had on the table at the draft.

As the summer goes on the price will go down because he is an RFA that doesn’t want to play there 

52 minutes ago, Willander the Great said:

never hurts to have a few leaf killers... 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

But that’s what separates a 5 million dollar player and an 8 million dollar player isn’t it?

I like what someone else pointed out about a Miller and a Debrusk comparison. Similar production at this age and both struggled with consistency. Can Debrusk find that next level here like Miller did?

Ya that’s why I’m excited, sometimes a new environment and larger role is all it takes for a player to get to that next level.

Debrusk has obviously got to elevate his game, but at the same time Pettersson has to make Debrusk a better player as well. I think he’s a great fit for Pettersson’s wing. Only time will tell now.

Edited by J-23

Great signing.  He didn’t have a good centre last year in Boston,  and his number dropped off.  He will get to play with miller or ep,  I expect a big year out of him.

i don’t get the couple years too long take,  his deal expires when he is 35,  5.5 mil will be a small % of cap by then. A 4 or 5 year deal would have had a much higher aav,  which he would have got elsewhere.

I’d like to see us add victor ollaffson.  Rough year this year,  but 28 goals the year before.  He would probably be a pretty low cost.

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Oh man

If Miller can take Jake under his wing and RT coaches him, that would be amazing if he turns into a Miller 2.0

That's not impossible. 

He has the tool kit. 

3 hours ago, J-23 said:

I like this signing, the term might be a season or two too long, but it is what it is.

When Debrusk is good, he’s very good, hopefully Tocchet and a line mate like Pettersson can ensure that Debrusk’s game remains consistent.

i hope so darth vader GIF by Star Wars

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

I really hope that Tocchet can get him to play more consistently. How do you even change that? 

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

That's the million-dollar question. 

If he can't find consistency, then what? I guess the silver lining is that 5.5m isn't that bad....

47 minutes ago, BCNate said:

I’d like to see us add victor ollaffson.

I wonder why his goals fell from 28 to 7. that's a huge drop off. injuries? 

57 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Ya that’s why I’m excited, sometimes a new environment and larger role is all it takes for a player to get to that next level.

Debrusk has obviously got to elevate his game, but at the same time Pettersson has to make Debrusk a better player as well. I think he’s a great fit for Pettersson’s wing. Only time will tell now.

Hopefully there's a fit there with Petey. He has a quality winger in Debrusk now. 

6 minutes ago, Pears said:

Word on the street is we sniped him from Edmonton? I like it even more now. 

Edmonton's forward group looks pretty scary itself. That's crazy they've added Avridsson, Skinner, etc. 

I think management is waiting to see what else is out there on the market in the next few days or weeks, and then also waiting for some teams to clear and shed cap. Vegas is in trouble with their cap again. Someone mentioned earlier if maybe we could poach Theodore from them because of their cap situation. If he can be nabbed relatively cheaply, I'd be down for a trade with them. 

39 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Edmonton's forward group looks pretty scary itself. That's crazy they've added Avridsson, Skinner, etc. 

I think management is waiting to see what else is out there on the market in the next few days or weeks, and then also waiting for some teams to clear and shed cap. Vegas is in trouble with their cap again. Someone mentioned earlier if maybe we could poach Theodore from them because of their cap situation. If he can be nabbed relatively cheaply, I'd be down for a trade with them. 

Would depend on how cheap we're talking really but Theodore would be a sound pick up either way. I think they'd have to retain a bit of cap to make it work though. 

• Like 1