[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Vegas is in trouble with their cap again.

That was a head shaker move at the deadline last season picking up Hertl. Last second move. Weird move for a team desperate for cap room.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Rekker said:

That was a head shaker move at the deadline last season picking up Hertl. Last second move. Weird move for a team desperate for cap room.

They were aiming for a repeat so they stocked up on anything they can. 

3 minutes ago, Drakrami said:

They were aiming for a repeat so they stocked up on anything they can. 

I get that. But an expensive long-term six year contract is not stocking up for a run. That has far reaching implications. Seemed a rushed move.

Just now, Rekker said:

I get that. But an expensive long-term six year contract is not stocking up for a run. That has far reaching implications. Seemed a rushed move.

I think they knew they were losing Marchessault, Stephenson, Martinez after this season regardless. So they just went for a repeat and who cares what happens if they win again. Mark Stone is 32 years old already, Pietrangelo is 34. 

Got Mark Stone to play out that LTIR cap saving move again and just happy go shopping on stocking up depth. I try not to be a conspiracy theorist, but this is what looks like happened. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, Huggy Bear said:

A wall guy, who likes to forecheck and “chip the body?”

A pain in the ass player to play against.  Tocchet also did put up 96 points in one NHL season  Obviously I didn't mean it as Debrusk being a clone of him but similiar in certain traits.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But that’s what separates a 5 million dollar player and an 8 million dollar player isn’t it?

If he could play at that level every night we couldn’t afford him.

I like what someone else pointed out about a Miller and a Debrusk comparison. Similar production at this age and both struggled with consistency. Can Debrusk find that next level here like Miller did?

Interesting take indeed... wouldn't that be something 

• Like 2

I like this signing - I know a lot of forum members trashed this player in GDTs (so I am sure they will continue to trash him now that he is on our team), but I think he has a decent amount of talent and versatility to his game. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

And they have the stats to back it up.

The stats on this particular debate don't favor the naysayers. Well at least not the last few years. 

Edited by Gnarcore
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Debrusk will not be overpaid, but he has good potential to play above his salary. 

All he has to do, during the regular season, is score 25 goals and 50 points or so as the par line.   It's what he does in the second season that hopefully keeps it up.    Modest risk,  big reward maybe.   They've termed him to be a core guy.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

And they have the stats to back it up.

Which way?   Likely both.   Given what just transpired, the closest comp is Hyman.    That worked great for EDM.   I don't think we should be overly worried about this, and if EP can't make it work it's on EP at this point.     He's got a puck hounding forechecker to work with.   

6 x 6 was the "fair" deal.   

Edited by IBatch

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The going rate for 2nd line players will be 7 mil in not that long just watch.

Anyone who's stuck up on the cost, needs to just go by cap percentage.   As of right now, we only have ONE contract that is in doubt.    It's also why starting cap percentage is soon to be was, so important with Capfriendly.   Some context is required always despite that.   If Brock for example, signs with us during the season before cap goes up .... just like EP did.   It lowers it fast.   A lot of UFA's sign after cap goes up too.   It's not a perfect comparison but it does allow for historical comparison's pretty easily.     Look at it this way.   What did Burrows get again?   And Bieksa.   What were their cap percentages like.      What was Luongo's.   Front loading contracts is 100% in the players favour every single time too.   Future value of money.  

Edited by IBatch

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Z could easily have been a 3-4 D guy.  Now look at our 5-6.  We went from being a very strong D team to an okay D team.....but with one key injury we're suddenly a lacking D team.

Besides monster hits and some offensive flash he's average defensively which is being replaced with cheaper big dman we just signed, he's gone and we got new guys we need to cheer for not be negative before we even played a preseason game.

We got Hughes and Hronek to score pts for the D we need guys that can help keep pucks out and let the forwards do the scoring. 

Guys that is willing to block anything that comes their way helps the goalie have lesser save to worry, we saw that in the Nashville series how much shot they blocked help alot of games stay closer then it should of been.  We have a Norris dman that can get those pts as long as other dman can play tough, keep pucks out, block shots, hit and fight (bottom 4 guys) we are going to do fine.

Edited by Madskillz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The going rate for 2nd line players will be 7 mil in not that long just watch.

You're right. Makes this contract look beautiful. It's going to age well for the value we'll get.

This might not mean anything but just for fun i wanted to look at how the current top 2-way wingers in the game developed that are similar to Debrusk in skillset and development curve (i.e. not going to include superstar prospects like Marner, Rantanen, etc)

I think with Debrusk his biggest challenge has been consistency, which can be said about everyone below on this list. Here's how he's faring and his fellow NHL'er have fared through their age 27 season, and all these players have increased their output by 50%+ once they entered their prime in age 28-31 season

What i really love about this Debrusk signing is that there's huge potential here for him to get better... and what i was also surprised to see is how well Boeser has performed in his career to date compared to the rest of these stars below

Not saying Debrusk will be the next Miller or Reinhart but is history shows us anything there's definitely potential there for him to elevate his game. He has the speed, the skill, the grit, and the IQ to do it.

I like the gamble and betting big that he can find another level .. that's how teams end up with bargain deals 

Name GP Goals Assists Points G/82 A/82 P/82 Breakout Season Age
Brock Boeser (26 y/o) 479 179 205 384 31 35 66  
Pavel Buchevnich 437 135 203 338 25 38 63 26
Sam Reinhart 614 198 246 444 26 33 59  
Jonathan Marschessault 201 65 80 145 27 33 59 27
Carter Verheaghe 254 93 84 177 30 27 57 27
JT Miller 557 137 218 355 20 32 52 27
Anders Lee 343 124 83 207 30 20 49  
Jake Debrusk 465 138 128 266 24 23 47  
Zack Hyman 302 71 81 152 19 22 41  
Brock Nelson 480 124 117 241 21 20 41  

Overall I like the signing here. Sure term is a little long, but comparing to other similar forwards signed over the last couple days in UFA this is a solid deal. 

Definitely put him on Petey's wing and see if they can develop some chemistry. Glad to hear Debrusk is an all around kind of player, feels like he should fit in well under our system. 

4 hours ago, spook007 said:

Interesting take indeed... wouldn't that be something 

I have a work colleague who lives in Boston and is a big Bruins fan, and he said this about Jake.

A hot and cold guy with effort issues at times. When he's cooking he's special. He takes shifts and stretches of games off. I actually said if he can be anywhere near to the player JT is, then that would be awesome.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Ohthehumanity said:

I have a work colleague who lives in Boston and is a big Bruins fan, and he said this about Jake.

A hot and cold guy with effort issues at times. When he's cooking he's special. He takes shifts and stretches of games off. I actually said if he can be anywhere near to the player JT is, then that would be awesome.

Sounds about right. Decent 2nd line player that can give you 25 goals. Lots of talent, but not consistant enough to be a top line player or to be the play-driver on the 2nd line. We don't need him to be a play driver, just someone who complements Pettersson well enough and can finish on the opportunities Pettersson will create for him (or Miller, but I think they signed him to be Petey's line mate).

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Rekker said:

The more I look at this signing the more I like it, from all angles. To be honest, just had to get over the Boston stain. It's getting there. 

I pegged you for an older chap.   Boston wasn't a "stain" until 2011.   A lot of fans I know, liked Boston growing up.    13 years later, 13 years after NYI and NYR beat us, don't remember anything that was such a hold up.   Guess they hurt some people more than others.   Sure it sucked.    Tim Thomas was the difference between us winning a cup and that's it.   8 goals in 7 games, it certainly wasn't goaltending.   Until it was in Game 7.    Marchand was a rookie more or less.   Don't think we need to worry about that shit anymore. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

But that’s what separates a 5 million dollar player and an 8 million dollar player isn’t it?

If he could play at that level every night we couldn’t afford him.

I like what someone else pointed out about a Miller and a Debrusk comparison. Similar production at this age and both struggled with consistency. Can Debrusk find that next level here like Miller did?

Another good comparison is Sam Bennett...very comparable stats, size and age. Wonder what Sam gets next off season as a UFA?