[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

3 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

Oh I like that idea with Boeser - Miller - DeBrusk..

I was high on DeBrusk before the deadline (and admittedly waffled when I heard he’d go for 5+) but also came to the conclusion that, damn, he looks like the perfect fit for Miller and Boeser. 

I also kicked around  the basic idea of… Joshua and Garland have played well with Bleuger, Suter and Lindholm last year.  Why not Petey?  

So, yeah.  Even though it feels we’re a lot more stable than last year - Tocchet and co. sure have a lot of options to play with. 

1 hour ago, J-23 said:

A forecheck of Debrusk and Hoglander would be very good.

Can probably create some good turnovers with their forecheck, which could lead to scoring opportunities for Petey. 

• Huggy Bear 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, J-23 said:

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Pettersson - Debrusk

Joshua - Blueger - Garland

Podkolzin - Suter - Sherwood

A forecheck of Debrusk and Hoglander would be very good.

Miller would also probably matchup against other teams top lines so keep someone who is very good defensively like Heinen on his wing over Hoglander.

It’s a long ways out, but this is how I have it as well. 

Heinen on paper brings enough (speed, forecheck, two way acumen, decent shot) to not necessitate DeBrusk on the Miller line.  

Petey likes to handle the puck, so while I can see them using Joshua / Garland there - best to start with the original plan.  DeBrusk and Hoglander can wreak havoc on the forecheck and both can score - so maybe Petey struggles to get to 30 goals, but he could have 70+ assists with those two plus PP1 time.

The 3rd line deserves a chance to repeat as the best 3rd line in hockey. And that 4th line is solid defensively, has some size, defense and physicality… and could be a middle of the pack 3rd line. 

Edited by The Duke
  • Like 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

I like Debrusk with Miller and Boeser more. Fits the style of play better. I’m sick of the old puck retriever required for Petey narrative. This isn’t NHL24. His best play comes from a puck possession game not dump and chase. So I’m hopeful Debrusk can slot into that if we try them out. 

Edited by GrammaInTheTub
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I like Debrusk with Miller and Boeser more. Fits the style of play better. I’m sick of the old puck retriever required for Petey narrative. This isn’t NHL24. His best play comes from a puck possession game not dump and chase. So I’m hopeful Debrusk can slot into that if we try them out. 

He would and would make that a legit first line, but he's starting with Petey and staying with him imho. Just everything about DeBrusk's game screams perfect fit for him. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Pears said:

He would and would make that a legit first line, but he's starting with Petey and staying with him imho. Just everything about DeBrusk's game screams perfect fit for him. 

Debrusk I am not worried about, it's if Petey can work out his issues. He is a smaller , less physical player who typically don't do well in the playoffs with tighter checking and more physical play.

We made him the highest paid player on the team so he will have to figure it out. He is not going to get a better winger then Debrusk so if he can't gel with him we have to ask ourselves if we are ever going to get our 11+ million out of him.

He might just be another regular season hero we can post on the walls, I hope not. 

10 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Debrusk I am not worried about, it's if Petey can work out his issues. He is a smaller , less physical player who typically don't do well in the playoffs with tighter checking and more physical play.

We made him the highest paid player on the team so he will have to figure it out. He is not going to get a better winger then Debrusk so if he can't gel with him we have to ask ourselves if we are ever going to get our 11+ million out of him.

He might just be another regular season hero we can post on the walls, I hope not. 

He'll be fine. It was his first go around in an actual playoff environment, and he was pretty clearly playing through some kind of injury. 

48 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

I’m sick of the old puck retriever required for Petey narrative. This isn’t NHL24. His best play comes from a puck possession game not dump and chase. 

You need wingers who can do both. Debrusk will be perfect for Pettersson.

• Cheers 4

.. but the flexibility and depth of our forward group,  the interchangeability of players , playing the same systems, and foot speed .. 

This is really something to admire..

guns are out !

star wars trailer GIF

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, bh90 said:

I always thought Louie was a canuck-hater. Either I was wrong or he's jumping ship now since Jake's on this team

Well, he is an Oiler at heart but seems like he likes the team we have. 

11 hours ago, Pears said:

He'll be fine. It was his first go around in an actual playoff environment, and he was pretty clearly playing through some kind of injury. 

Yeah it wasn't because how he was treating the puck like a hot potato because he didn't want to get hit, no. He started to faulter once the checking got tighter and the play intensified. During the early part of the season, he had all kinds of room to make plays and not so much after the all star break or during the playoffs.

We have been down this road before.

20 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

I think DeBrusk is really going to shine here under Tocchet. It's a huge opportunity to elevate his game with the right support and system that seems like the perfect fit. 

Really good interview and insight from big daddy DeBrusk on D&D yesterday about Jake coming to Van ...

A frequent opponent of Gino.   Seemed like every second or third game these guys dropped them.    Like a lot of these guys, well spoken and shows a ton of respect for the game, sure likes Tochett but who doesn't really. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

21 minutes ago, IBatch said:

A frequent opponent of Gino.   Seemed like every second or third game these guys dropped them.    Like a lot of these guys, well spoken and shows a ton of respect for the game, sure likes Tochett but who doesn't really. 

Tocchet earned the respect...

• Cheers 1

14 hours ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

14 hours ago, Pears said:

Debrusk with Millsy and Boeser would be a terrific line, but I think Pears is right. Pretty much since the Canucks were eliminated we were told that the goal of management was to find a "scoring winger" to play with Petey.....

As much as I like Heinen and Sherwood, they weren't signed to fill that role. Jake is the guy.

Besides, now we have the PHD line.....smartest line in hockey. :classic_cool:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Debrusk with Millsy and Boeser would be a terrific line, but I think Pears is right. Pretty much since the Canucks were eliminated we were told that the goal of management was to find a "scoring winger" to play with Petey.....

As much as I like Heinen and Sherwood, they weren't signed to fill that role. Jake is the guy.

I do think we'll add one more forward though unless we're banking on Podkolzin to take the next step or waiting to see how Lekkerimaki shows in training camp. 

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I do think we'll add one more forward though unless we're banking on Podkolzin to take the next step or waiting to see how Lekkerimaki shows in training camp. 

Yeah, I'm still kind of hoping they can land Sprong....I guess we'll see what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

I think Lekkerimäki is going back to Abby; probably needs some seasoning. I mean, if he makes the jump, that would be amazing. But more likely than not, I think he'll need some North American pro hockey experience, and he'll get there in Abby. Polish his game even further. 

I'm kind of on the fence with Podkolzin. It kind of feels like he's neither here nor there. If he doesn't take a step this season, then I think he's probably more suited to a bottom six role for his career. With that being said, I hope he does break out this upcoming year, because that would be amazing to see him pot some goals. He's already a good defensive forward. Just needs to get his goal scoring going. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Yeah, I'm still kind of hoping they can land Sprong....I guess we'll see what happens.

Sprong could be a good middle-six addition. 

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I think Lekkerimäki is going back to Abby; probably needs some seasoning. I mean, if he makes the jump, that would be amazing. But more likely than not, I think he'll need some North American pro hockey experience, and he'll get there in Abby. Polish his game even further. 

I'm kind of on the fence with Podkolzin. It kind of feels like he's neither here nor there. If he doesn't take a step this season, then I think he's probably more suited to a bottom six role for his career. With that being said, I hope he does break out this upcoming year, because that would be amazing to see him pot some goals. He's already a good defensive forward. Just needs to get his goal scoring going. 

In his first year he showed great chemistry with Pettersson, but his overall game wasn't refined then. If he takes the next step Podkolzin-Petey-DeBrusk would be an incredibly skilled and difficult line to handle. 

44 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

Remember when everyone was tripping over themselves trying to come up with a name for the Third Line?

Like for months writers kept repeating the lame thing they came up with in hopes it would catch on.

This one just sorta rolls off the tongue! Very nice.

• Cheers 1