[Signing] Debrusk to Vancouver

Just now, D.B Cooper said:

He is incredibly inconsistent. 
Disappears for long periods of time.  
He is a pretty meh ‘top 6’. 
7 years….. going to be lucky if this contract isn’t a mess in 3-4 years 

I don't get it... How is his playoff stats so good yet his reg season sucks? 

Is it lack of motivation or is he just lucky in the playoffs? 

If he has all the tools, Can RT fix him? 

Just now, Coryberg said:

That 3rd,4th,5th and Jurmo really keeps you up at night eh?

Just assets and when you’re asset poor, you don’t spend them too recklessly. Doesn’t bother me too much, just keeping an accounting of how this is rolling out and really hopeful we are past the time frame of having to pay to dump contracts.

• Upvote 1

Just now, hockeyville88 said:

Not sure why we’d offer that term to a mid level forward and not to Zadorov. Meh, disappointed so far 

I would have preferred Zadorov as well, but I still like this deal.

In seven years, that Cap hit is going to be fairly average for a 2nd line forward.....

15 minutes ago, Master Mind said:

Mikeheyv 2.0

We'll be paying someone to take him off our hands in a few years

NHL Totals   270 60 71 131 42   30 2 2 4 6

=.485 ppg

NHL Totals   465 138 128 266 101   86 27 20 47 3

=.572 points per game

The bottom stats are Debrusk

Will say the play off points really favour Jake.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Think I would've preferred giving that cap money to the big Russian (granted, I don't like the term in either deal)

Agreed. Zad fit this team like a glove. I can't say I understand why Allvin wasn't willing to give Zad the contract that the Bruins gave to him but he was willing to give this contract to a forward as inconsistent as Debrusk. 

• ThereItIs 1

The guy is 27 so essentially you are getting all of his prime years. By the time its 5 years in he will still be a tradable asset considering he will only be 32-33.

I don't think he is the answer with Petey but will be a solid addition to what the Canucks are trying to achieve in the playoffs.

With the money thrown around, 5.5 AAV is a good deal. 7 years seems long but he’s one of the younger FAs out there.

Those that would have rather us throw the 6x5mil to Zadorov forgets he was Canucks’ 6th defencemen in ice time through the regular season, had a spectacular playoffs but doesn’t translate to a 6x5mil imo

• ThereItIs 1

16 minutes ago, rmok said:

If he has any chemistry with either Petey or JT this could be a good signing. Seems a little long for a guy like him. His playoff records are consistently good... PPG or much much better every single playoffs ( 7). That is pretty consistent.  

Signing a winger from Boston to an expensive long term deal, in order to play with the Canucks' All-star Swedish centre?

Didnt we hear that story few years ago?

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Midiocre Monahan got 5.5m  

slow ass 32 yr old Toffoli got 6m

this is the best forward deal with term signed today.

Tocchett will work his magic and playing for a Canadian team closer to home might motivate him.

i can see this contract aging very well for us. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Thats not what I was hoping to hear... I like we're getting guys with speed but it seems like we are getting a bunch of utility players in DeBrusk, Heinen, Sherwood.

The good news is that 3rd liners will be paid around what he just got in 7 years or so. I do like that his 7-year deal will take him to 34 rather than starting at 34. He has the talent but needs to make better plays and unfortuantely lacks creativity with the puck. 

I will say that being in Boston I've also seen a lot of Heinen and am a huge fan of the signing. People out here wanted to come back and the guy is an elite bottom 6 player who you'll need on a deep cup run. Heinen has everything.

Sherwood I saw a lot of this past couple of years, and like most on this board, particularly so most recently in the playoffs. I am also a big fan and long time admirer of his abilities as another elite bottom 6 player that can move up the line up in a pinch. 

• ThereItIs 1