[Signing] Canucks Sign Kiefer Sherwood (2 years x $1.5 Million)

10 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, Höglander is also LW. Who's playing RW beside Petey? 

Is that not more a question of circumstances...? They need to play somebody on his wing?

The main player with Petey was Mika, who is also a left wing... 

They traded for Lindholm, who originally was pencilled in for Peteys RW, but that experiment failed... 

16 hours ago, spook007 said:

Is that not more a question of circumstances...? They need to play somebody on his wing?

The main player with Petey was Mika, who is also a left wing... 

They traded for Lindholm, who originally was pencilled in for Peteys RW, but that experiment failed... 

Debrusk is a LW, who's going to be playing on Petey's right side? 

16 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Debrusk plays equally well on either wing. Sherwood might play a few games in the top six but mostly he will play a bottom six role. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

Good Hockey Writers article about what Jake will bring to our team. 

https://thehockeywriters.com/canucks-debrusk-signing-good-move/

Very happy with picking up Jake.

Gotta a feeling this is going to turn into a bargain contract, and more importantly, he will improve our team in both the regular season and the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Eventually it'll be Lekkerimaki...

they may have to do the same with Hogs or another LW this season, but more because of circumstances...

Edited by spook007

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/1/2024 at 4:26 PM, N4ZZY said:

Fans banging on this drum. I get it. I'd like to see if he disappears just like he did last year, then something is definitely wrong. Might have signed a bad contract. But I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt. He's too good, and too talented to just disappear like he did this past season. As a fan, I'm hoping he rises to the occasion, and does better this coming season, as he now has experience moving forward. 

Apparently he was injured. I guess the team figured it was more important to give the team a strong season than to rest him and get healed.  Getting better performance from Kuz and Mikheyev might have helped, too. I think we have a better selection of wingers for him this year. If the Sedins take over the power play, that could also help him in playing your half wall as a play maker.

6 hours ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Sprong.

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong will probably be our second line. The real question is who plays wing with Miller-Boeser. Not interested in seeing Suter in the top 6. I have a feeling Heinen will be playing in the top 6. 

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, CanuckMan said:

Debrusk-Petey-Sprong will probably be our second line. The real question is who plays wing with Miller-Boeser. Not interested in seeing Suter in the top 6. I have a feeling Heinen will be playing in the top 6. 

Why not Hogs?

• Cheers 4

On 7/5/2024 at 10:54 AM, N4ZZY said:

hope it will be Podkolzin over Sprong.
time to shine for our '19 first rounf pick. he will make room for Petey, and he's very good in defense. he still have a very heavy shot, and has a good top end speed.
my choice. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Why not Hogs?

With these new additions you honestly sometimes forget we had a 20+ goal scorer in Hogs last year. Definitely excited to see what happens and I like the roster flexibility way better in getting 3 guys instead of 1 Lindholm.

Sprong, Heinen, Sherwood > Lindholm 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, CanuckMan said:

With these new additions you honestly sometimes forget we had a 20+ goal scorer in Hogs last year. Definitely excited to see what happens and I like the roster flexibility way better in getting 3 guys instead of 1 Lindholm.

If Manny can help Sherwood learn to take more faceoffs that would be the last piece missing from what Lindy brought.

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Why not Hogs?

He's been a 12 to 13 minutes per game player. I wonder if he has the endurance to play at his pace for an extra 5 to 7 minutes per game.

• Like 1

Just now, RWMc1 said:

He's been a 12 to 13 minutes per game player. I wonder if he has the endurance to play at his pace for an extra 5 to 7 minutes per game.

I think it's been more about trusting him later in games. 

• ThereItIs 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

I think it's been more about trusting him later in games. 

JR said that the Sedins helped him break some of his bad habits. He's been more reliable defensively and that has helped his game. Miller Boeser need someone who can get in on the forecheck and retrieve the puck like PDG was doing earlier in the season. Also PDG and Suter were having trouble finishing so Hoggy could definitely be a better option.

• ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, DexM94 said:

hope it will be Podkolzin over Sprong.
time to shine for our '19 first rounf pick. he will make room for Petey, and he's very good in defense. he still have a very heavy shot, and has a good top end speed.
my choice. 

Unfortunately for Podz, he doesn't have the mental fortitude and tenacity....physically he has it, but I think any fearlessness he had, still mentally speaking here, has been coached out of him.  

Sprong is infinitely the better player, and better choice.

Edited by Sophomore Jinx

On 7/27/2024 at 11:09 AM, CanuckMan said:

Truth

similar to 

vilardi, iafallo, kupari > PLD

• Like 1

The way I see the depth chart right now. 

Debrusk Pete Brock

Joshua Miller Garland

Heinen Blueger Sherwood 

Hogs Suter Sprong

Pod Aman PDG

Bains Raty Karlsson

Hughes Hronek

Soucy Myers

Forbort Descharnais 

Wolainen Juules

Hirose Woo

Demko 

Silovs

Tolopilo/Patera

I think Sherwood will play top 9 mins he actually found himself 7th in fwd ice time for Nashville during the playoffs. 10th reg season. It's my opinion we may not see anyone put up 100pts this year but we will be one of the top scoring teams in the league. A very good checking 3rd line could be the key to unlocking 40-50pt seasons from both Sprong Hoglander playing 12mins which would be huge value. 100+G  from our bottom 6 while diminishing those against for 9.25m would be amazing. 

On 7/27/2024 at 12:15 PM, Bob Long said:

If Manny can help Sherwood learn to take more faceoffs that would be the last piece missing from what Lindy brought.

That would be tough since Manny will be coaching Abbotsford full time and not helping out with the skill development on the big club 🙂. Unless, of course, they send Sherwood down Highway 1 for whatever reason.

On 7/5/2024 at 1:54 AM, N4ZZY said:

The assortment of Baertschi’s (I forget what the actual joke saying about that was) will all get auditions.

We have a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners we hope can take a big step.

A contending lineup keeps them where they should be and not playing higher than they should except for injury relief.

Debrusk-Petterson-XX

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Sherwood-Blueger-Sprong/Hoglander

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-XX

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen-Desharnais

If we don’t intend on trading Garland and using a cheaper guy in his spot, then I really think we need to try him for a good stretch in the top six.

For me, we should start with:

Debrusk-Petterson-Boeser

Heinen-Miller-Garland

Joshua-Suter-Sprong

Sherwood-Blueger-Hoglander

PDG

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Provost said:

The assortment of Baertschi’s (I forget what the actual joke saying about that was) will all get auditions.

We have a bunch of 3rd and 4th liners we hope can take a big step.

A contending lineup keeps them where they should be and not playing higher than they should except for injury relief.

Debrusk-Petterson-XX

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Hughes-Hronek

Soucy-XX

Forbort-Myers

Juulsen-Desharnais

If we don’t intend on trading Garland and using a cheaper guy in his spot, then I really think we need to try him for a good stretch in the top six.

For me, we should start with:

Debrusk-Petterson-Boeser

Heinen-Miller-Garland

Joshua-Suter-Sprong

Sherwood-Blueger-Hoglander

PDG

I like the last linup you put together. All 4 lines would be difficult to play against. The 4th line would be a lot of fun to watch 

8 hours ago, Provost said:

Debrusk-Petterson-XX

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Suter-Garland

I think the perfect fit there would be Vatrano. Anaheim is a couple years away from playoff hockey and Vatrano is on a great but expiring contract. 

Debrusk-Petey-Vatrano

Hoglander-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Blueger-Garland 

Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

Sprong

I actually think Hoglander is going to have a big year. He seemed to understand the defensive side of the game more and more last year which will earn the coaches trust giving him top 6 minutes. I could see 30 goals (only 6 more than last year) from him especially in a contract year.