[Signing] Canucks Sign Kiefer Sherwood (2 years x $1.5 Million)

7 minutes ago, JamesB said:

For what it is worth (and I think it is worth a lot), both Sherwood and Heinen are excellent value in terms above GAR (goals above replacement) per dollar based on their new deals.

On a day when a lot of teams are overpaying, the Canucks have made excellent high value investments.

Even the Debrusk contract is pretty good, although a little on the high side. And the Canucks needed a guy who can play top 6. Actually, I would say that the Canucks have added three "middle six" (2nd or 3rd line) forward in Debrusk, Sherwood and Heinen.

It would have been nice to get Guenzel, but not at 9M a year for 7 years.

Thats it 100%

• Thanks 1

Does anyone think they could think differently? Would Garland and Joshua be good enough to flank Petey?

Joshua - Petey - Garland

DeBrusk - Miller - Boeser

Heinen - Bluger - Hogs

Sherwood - Suter - Pods/ MDG 

Bottom 6 can be interchanged and still have Aman and Karlsson as well as a few Abby players??? 

Another year and Lekkerimaki will hopefully also be knowing on the door...

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Does anyone think they could think differently? Would Garland and Joshua be good enough to flank Petey?

Joshua - Petey - Garland

Heinen - Bluger - Hogs

Bottom 6 can be interchanged and still have Aman and Karlsson as well as a few Abby players??? 

provably not… but who knows. Garland is a top 6 caliber player. Joshua might be a good fit. Not ideal imho, but we may see it, and again, who knows. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Darius said:

Love to see this element in the lineup.  I remember cringing in the playoffs when he was going in on the forecheck against Hughes

Just came to post this. Love seeing them add physicality like this. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, CaribouCanuck said:

Just came to post this. Love seeing them add physicality like this. 

Nashville fans loved this guy....all gas no brake apparently...hits everything in sight.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Joshua - Petey - Garland

Heinen - Bluger - Hogs

A lot of options for RT. Really like the focus on getting tougher and faster. Hopefully DeBrusk is a natural fit for Petey, although he would probably fit in great on the JT Boeser line too. Dang we physical down the left side lol. Frack yeah! Only concern is the defence. Myers as our 2RD is scary.

• Cheers 2

Probably my fav signing of the day. Low risk, but you know what you get. Physical bottom 6 presence. Love Lafferty, but this guy should add toughness on the level of Joshua with the hits. Lafferty was more of a two way player.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Probably my fav signing of the day. Low risk, but you know what you get. Physical bottom 6 presence. Love Lafferty, but this guy should add toughness on the level of Joshua with the hits. Lafferty was more of a two way player.

Agreed. I love agitators who hit everything that moves. I was pretty pumped when they signed Ferland. Sadly, we know how that worked out.

I think this guy has the ability to be a fan favourite here.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

A lot of options for RT. Really like the focus on getting tougher and faster. Hopefully DeBrusk is a natural fit for Petey, although he would probably fit in great on the JT Boeser line too. Dang we physical down the left side lol. Frack yeah! Only concern is the defence. Myers as our 2RD is scary.

Yes was sitting moving Names around...

Definitely more of a Tocchet team now... 

They may keep the Miller line together and play Debrusk with Petey (think this is the most likely out come), and maybe try Garland with them...

Agree plenty of options, and I think they have a plan up their sleeve... We'll see... I think they'll run with close to the D they got, and hope Willander and/or D Petey will make a push next season... 

Likewise up front with Lekkerimaki... 

Once thing is for sure... we are never short of something to debate with this management team 🙂

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

Joshua - Petey - Garland

Heinen - Bluger - Hogs

I really like this approach. DJ and Garland are paid like top six now so need to step up. I think EP could score 50 with Garland and DJ hunting and distributing.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

I really like this approach. DJ and Garland are paid like top six now so need to step up. I think EP could score 50 with Garland and DJ hunting and distributing.

This would be coming from left field, as we all saw the 3rd line continue...

But with the dynamic between Garland and Joshua, they just might find a lot of space with Petey.... And I do like the thought of Joshua going in the tough end and being there to support Petey during Scums...

Definitely a different way to think of it...

PS. Millers line could also be dynamite with DeBrusk added...

Edited by spook007
  • Upvote 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

That's the tax free number in Tampa. We would have had to offer 10.5 to compete with that.

Based on Cap Friendly, that is about right in terms of the tax penalty for playing in Vancouver in view of the recent increases in the top marginal rate both federally and in BC.

And some people like living in Florida. But there are a lot of people who prefer Vancouver and, at incomes that high, quite a few people will "pay" to live in Vancouver.  Another way of looking at it is that, just as some people will pay a lot to live in a nice house (or mansion, like McDavid) some people will pay for Vancouver's amenities.

Personally, I would prefer a nice house in Vancouver to a mansion in Edmonton or Tampa.

But, that said, high taxes definitely hurt Vancouver in the free agent market.

Edited by JamesB
  • Cheers 2