[Signing] Canucks sign Heinen

43 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I would think a Trade for a Top 4 LHD will occur between now and Xmas. I say LHD as that should be cheaper than RHD, and we seem to have a few promising RHD is the system.

Desharnais is NOT a top 4 Dman, and the ripple effect of not having that #2 LHD  is felt through the lineup. You trade for one, and all of a sudden Soucy can move back to the 3rd pair with Des and Myers can play up. If the the player they nab is a better skill player than Zad (maybe not as physical though), we are probably better off with Forbort, Des, and Juulsen being able to splice in.

Agreed, i think they're waiting to see if this offence is going to be good enough, and if the D can solve its issues by committee, and will fix whichever problem is worse around christmas/tdl

20 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Terrified of Desharnais playing top-4 minutes for us. 

We have some cap room, i have to hope the plan is to shake a top-4 RD loose somewhere

Yeah. I think myers will start on the second line. He was above average plat year playing top 4 minutes, no reason that can’t continue this year 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

For me Heinen is the dark horse signing. Three times he’s scored 16 or more goals. I think with the right line mates he will crack 20 goals. He’s like an undiscovered Joshua only he’s already put up some decent points.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Pianoman said:

Yeah. I think myers will start on the second line. He was above average plat year playing top 4 minutes, no reason that can’t continue this year 

As long as he simplifies his game. Once he begins to do too much, it's chaos giraffe all over again. 

2 hours ago, CanuckMan said:

For me Heinen is the dark horse signing. Three times he’s scored 16 or more goals. I think with the right line mates he will crack 20 goals. He’s like an undiscovered Joshua only he’s already put up some decent points.

I think he breaks 20 with us this upcoming season. 

• Jess unfeatured and unpinned this topic

My hope is that we got Jannik Hansen with this trade.

Really similar players in their style.  Fast, good defensively, good at hounding pucks.

He is a bottom six guy, but it is possible he could find chemistry and be a complementary piece on one of our top lines (we currently need him to do that unless we get another player or two).

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Still no ace RW for Mr. EP.

In fact the whole right side is dismal, again.

(Even on D.)

I am impressed with JR/AP; seriously, I am; they have performed far better than I expected.

But Jesus, give Pettersson some top (T O P) wingers and quit wasting all that talent.

Doesn't have to happen in free agency, that's for sure.

But by God, and I am not a religious man, it has to happen.

[All in my heretical opinion, of course.]

[And, I don't think they should have let Big Z go either, like WTF Do You Want??]

• Cheers 1

36 minutes ago, Goal_thecup said:

(Even on D.)

I am impressed with JR/AP; seriously, I am; they have performed far better than I expected.

But Jesus, give Pettersson some top (T O P) wingers and quit wasting all that talent.

[And, I don't think they should have let Big Z go either, like WTF Do You Want??]

I do expect them to see how things go and make moves early in the season.

we can hope someone comes to the rescue but the money has just run out to get an impactful player unless we trade Garland and let one of the new depth guys fill that slot for less money.

Maybe this is the year to move Poolman’s contract and let us accrue some space.

As it stands we will have a winger playing too high in the lineup and Myers top high in the lineup.  The brass seem to have more confidence in Myers than is probably warranted, but a number of different regimes on different teams seem to have had the same opinion.  With scarce cap space signing him, Forbort, and Desharnais means they think he is a top four, and that is not a solid 3rd pairing.

Guys slotted in where they should really be shows a couple of holes.

Debrusk-Petterson-XX

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Sherwood-Blueger-Podkolzin/Karlsson

Hughes-XX

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Desharnais

I know it is a pipe dream, but there are still moves out there.

If we could convince Trouba to come here or if we aren’t on his NTC list… we could get him with salary retained and Kakko and that fills both slots.  It means moving Garland, and Hoglander at his salary would certainly be someone the Rangers would want as part of a package.  We could afford it and the team suddenly goes from middle of the pack on paper to for sure top ten or better.

Maybe there are other deals out there with some teams still facing cap issues.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

I do expect them to see how things go and make moves early in the season.

we can hope someone comes to the rescue but the money has just run out to get an impactful player unless we trade Garland and let one of the new depth guys fill that slot for less money.

Maybe this is the year to move Poolman’s contract and let us accrue some space.

As it stands we will have a winger playing too high in the lineup and Myers top high in the lineup.  The brass seem to have more confidence in Myers than is probably warranted, but a number of different regimes on different teams seem to have had the same opinion.  With scarce cap space signing him, Forbort, and Desharnais means they think he is a top four, and that is not a solid 3rd pairing.

Guys slotted in where they should really be shows a couple of holes.

Debrusk-Petterson-XX

Heinen-Miller-Boeser

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Sherwood-Blueger-Podkolzin/Karlsson

Hughes-XX

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Myers

Desharnais

I know it is a pipe dream, but there are still moves out there.

If we could convince Trouba to come here or if we aren’t on his NTC list… we could get him with salary retained and Kakko and that fills both slots.  It means moving Garland, and Hoglander at his salary would certainly be someone the Rangers would want as part of a package.  We could afford it and the team suddenly goes from middle of the pack on paper to for sure top ten or better.

Maybe there are other deals out there with some teams still facing cap issues.

Good stuff thanks.

Losing almost anyone to bring in legit top line wingers for EP is fine with me.

You can box up all the little Garlands and lesser lights as well too for that matter.

Great heart and all but not much use crumpled up in a ball in the corner; and he's overpaid imo.

Go ahead, take your time, but don't dick around and waste another EP season with Bo-Tads (Barely Out of "The A" Dudes).

I mean seriously, is Brock Boeser our top right wing?  Fuck me.

I also like how you moved Hronek to 2RD; with that lineup, it shows that the right side is weak on D as well as F.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Rick_theRyper said:

This guy is giving me a Burrows vibes, been watching his game highlights. Can score can hit and two way game is his focus. Did they just get Peterson two wingers not just Debrusk but Heinen also? I think Heinen has been a quiet great signing. His goals are top shelf and with authority. 

One could hope; he has shown a lot of potential and checks a lot of boxes.

Great speed; good hands; captain experience in junior; hometown boy who wants to be here; etc.

[Personally still want them to quit trying to flog off 2nd and 3rd liners on Pettersson.]

• Cheers 1

On 7/2/2024 at 11:08 AM, Madskillz said:

Well balance team that our top 3 LW can change on any lines, all pker and forecheckers with good speed to retrieve pucks.  This is going to be a special year save the cap for when season starts or midway will get a top 4 dman that's young alittle cheaper with a few years terms.  I think LD is the position we need with Willander maybe 1 year away our defense can look very good.

Hughes Hronek

Top 4   Myers

Soucy Willander/Mcward

I agree, a left handed defencemen that’s not on an expiring contract.

2024-2025 Playoffs

Hughes - Hronek

TRADE - Myers

Soucy - Desharnais

- Willander

2025-2026 Season

Hughes - Hronek

TRADE - Myers

Soucy - Willander

Is Pelech still a good defensive defencemen. A veteran defencemen and Willander would be strong for the team.

Hughes - Hronek

Pelech - Willander

Soucy - Myers

2 hours ago, Rick_theRyper said:

This guy is giving me a Burrows vibes, been watching his game highlights. Can score can hit and two way game is his focus. Did they just get Peterson two wingers not just Debrusk but Heinen also? I think Heinen has been a quiet great signing. His goals are top shelf and with authority. 

The main difference from Burrows though....I just checked Hockeyfights.com and he's not listed as having had a hockey fight....ever!🤨

Foe me, the forwards are capable, and Petey should be able to create things by himself as well, as he is paid like 2 top 6 players (2X5.6M) and should only need one legit top-6 forward to play with (Debrusk). Petey got paid like a player who will make others better, and I think he can do this, but he shouldn't need more than Debrusk and a capable flyer.

The defense is what disturbs me, as a strong top-4 with depth is what makes the difference in the playoffs. We need a top-4 d-man and likely another veteran for the bottom pairing as well.

13 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

(Even on D.)

I have a feeling Heinen will play RW:

Debrusk-Petey-Heinen

Both those additions should help Petey, definitely better than Mikheyev as a top 6 option. 

The real question will be, who plays LW with Miller-Boeser?

***Just checked Heinen is listed as a LW and a RW on different sites. Which position does he play?***

If Heinen is LW then he or Hoglander will play with Miller-Boeser is my guess. 

2 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

This acquisition feels like when we picked up Higgins - albeit younger and with better upside - a critical piece in completing an impressive top 9 

What do you expect out of a player who signed for just 2.25M? Let’s just hope his upside kicks in and we add more by the TDL.

12 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

What do you expect out of a player who signed for just 2.25M? Let’s just hope his upside kicks in and we add more by the TDL.

The way you have phrased this sounds like you think my expectations are unrealistic or that I’m disappointed with the signing… 

To be clear, I absolutely love this signing and I think it will be similar to burrows 4 year discount bargain deal (obviously for less term). 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, GrammaInTheTub said:

The way you have phrased this sounds like you think my expectations are unrealistic or that I’m disappointed with the signing… 

To be clear, I absolutely love this signing and I think it will be similar to burrows 4 year discount bargain deal (obviously for less term). 

All good, that wasn’t my intention 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Goal_thecup said:

One could hope; he has shown a lot of potential and checks a lot of boxes.

Great speed; good hands; captain experience in junior; hometown boy who wants to be here; etc.

[Personally still want them to quit trying to flog off 2nd and 3rd liners on Pettersson.]

Pete is not even 2nd fiddle on this team though. Maybe he should play better than Miller first. Heck Lindholm was able to steal his 2C gig. Debrusk is a fine winger for Pete. 

46 minutes ago, Hammertime said:

Pete is not even 2nd fiddle on this team though. Maybe he should play better than Miller first. Heck Lindholm was able to steal his 2C gig. Debrusk is a fine winger for Pete. 

Real pressure is on Petey this upcoming season when his cap hit is north of 11 million.  I think once his body is completely healed (I don't buy the bulls*** that he wasn't playing injured in the post-season) I think he'll return to the 100 point season (especially with Debrusk riding shotgun).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Real pressure is on Petey this upcoming season when his cap hit is north of 11 million.  I think once his body is completely healed (I don't buy the bulls*** that he wasn't playing injured in the post-season) I think he'll return to the 100 point season (especially with Debrusk riding shotgun).

Petey will be fine with better linemates he will get 100pt and Debrusk, I’m hoping will get 50-70pts if more we got a big steal of a player that has finishing abilities for Petey to set up and I think Hogs will get a chance their as he’s a good puck retriever with offensive skills if he can get 20+ goals it’s a steal for his salary with potential to improve on last season.  We still have Pods who is going to be a forechecking, hitting (19gp 70hits), defensively responsible and if he can find his offensive game, he’ll have a chance playing top 6.  I’m so excited we got 4 lines with a lot of speed and forecheckers that can play and that will help keep players more fresh through out the season with games we have comfortable leads the bottom lines will play a lot more.  Heck if we have big enough leads and it’s not a shutout pull Demko in games we have 3+ goal leads make it.

10 hours ago, Hammertime said:

Understood.  EP has to return to form; can't believe there was not something wrong with him last year.

With the way JT is going, it is going to be difficult for anyone to outplay him, and Debrusk is a good pickup.

Much as I love Pettersson, he doesn't fit my ideal of larger tougher players who can and do stand up for themselves and their mates.

(And bring the nasty.)

PA seems pretty happy with his tall but light Swedish forwards, but Tocchet, Foote, and Gonchar know that size and snarl matters.

I can't believe we let Zadorov get away.

• Cheers 2