Jake DeBrusk | #74 | LW

Jess

Quick research notes:

- Average build at 6'0", 197 lbs

- Louie will have to love us more than Edmonton now

- Can probably expect anywhere from 20-30 goals and 40-50 points--more of a goal scorer than a playmaker. He does have potential to hit 60 points though.

- Only been a minus player once in his career with -1 in 2019-20

- Not like his dad--he's received minor Lady Byng attention twice in his career

- Has been quite good in the last two playoffs with 17 points in 20 games

- Probably a 2nd line winger based on TOI and production

- Despite Lady Byng votes, is willing to lay hits and has average hit frequencies

- Roughly average shot blocking frequency

- Slightly positive takeaway to giveaway ratio, suggesting good at getting possession and not losing it

- Strong Corsi at 53.1%

- Relatively average offensive zone usage at 53.6%

- Slightly positive on penalties drawn/taken

- Based on TOI, probably played 2nd unit PK time

- Performed pretty solidly on PK time

- Also on 2nd PP unit with strong results

- Quite effective in the shootout with 10 career shootout goals on 29 shots for 34.5%

The length of this deal is a bit scary and this could really go either way. He has the potential to be a 30-goal 60-point player, which is a steal for $5.5M, but if he's a 20-goal, 40-point player (like he was last year), this deal will stink.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Posted (edited)

Steve Dangle saying this is the best thing Vancouver has ever done for the Leafs by getting Debrusk the hell out of the Eastern Conference and going to the West 🤣

Edited by Shekky
  • ThereItIs 1

This guy is gonna be money in the playoffs.  He knows how to elevate his game to another level.  If he finds that consistency in the regular season too, we have a serious steal here.

0.5PPG in the regular season last year.

0.85PPG in the playoffs last year.

The difference is his minutes (ATOI) went up in the playoffs.  More ice time, more production.

On 7/1/2024 at 9:59 AM, -AJ- said:

Quick research notes:

- Average build at 6'0", 197 lbs

- Louie will have to love us more than Edmonton now

- Can probably expect anywhere from 20-30 goals and 40-50 points--more of a goal scorer than a playmaker. He does have potential to hit 60 points though.

- Only been a minus player once in his career with -1 in 2019-20

- Not like his dad--he's received minor Lady Byng attention twice in his career

- Has been quite good in the last two playoffs with 17 points in 20 games

- Probably a 2nd line winger based on TOI and production

- Despite Lady Byng votes, is willing to lay hits and has average hit frequencies

- Roughly average shot blocking frequency

- Slightly positive takeaway to giveaway ratio, suggesting good at getting possession and not losing it

- Strong Corsi at 53.1%

- Relatively average offensive zone usage at 53.6%

- Slightly positive on penalties drawn/taken

- Based on TOI, probably played 2nd unit PK time

- Performed pretty solidly on PK time

- Also on 2nd PP unit with strong results

- Quite effective in the shootout with 10 career shootout goals on 29 shots for 34.5%

The length of this deal is a bit scary and this could really go either way. He has the potential to be a 30-goal 60-point player, which is a steal for $5.5M, but if he's a 20-goal, 40-point player (like he was last year), this deal will stink.

He's grown into his body.  As he has matured, his hit rate has climbed.  I've said it in other threads, but Debrusk's game has evolved the past few years.  We're gonna get prime Debrusk here these years coming up.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, HKSR said:

This guy is gonna be money in the playoffs.  He knows how to elevate his game to another level.  If he finds that consistency in the regular season too, we have a serious steal here.

0.5PPG in the regular season last year.

0.85PPG in the playoffs last year.

The difference is his minutes (ATOI) went up in the playoffs.  More ice time, more production.

During the fast few months of the season he was battling through a broken left hand. It didn’t fully heal till the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Junkyard Dog said:

During the fast few months of the season he was battling through a broken left hand. It didn’t fully heal till the playoffs. 

Didn't know that... the likelihood is if he gets solid top 6 minutes and is healthy, he should be a 50 to 60 point player (as the floor).  Could probably hit 70+ if he finds chemistry with Petey.

Just now, HKSR said:

Didn't know that... the likelihood is if he gets solid top 6 minutes and is healthy, he should be a 50 to 60 point player (as the floor).  Could probably hit 70+ if he finds chemistry with Petey.

Bruins fans on Canucks Reddit were nice enough to tell me. We kind of came in unison wishing our departing players the best and wishing the worse for the Leafs. 

It was strange to see old rivals get along, even for a moment. 

Mutliple reports also confirmed a broken left hand on some credible sites. Idk how he played through. Probably wasn’t too messed up where he had to take time off but still that’s his dominant hand  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Bruins fans on Canucks Reddit were nice enough to tell me. We kind of came in unison wishing our departing players the best and wishing the worse for the Leafs. 

It was strange to see old rivals get along, even for a moment. 

Mutliple reports also confirmed a broken left hand on some credible sites. Idk how he played through. Probably wasn’t too messed up where he had to take time off but still that’s his dominant hand  

That's promising.  He still put up 0.5 PPG with that injury. 

Just now, HKSR said:

That's promising.  He still put up 0.5 PPG with that injury. 

He had 11 points in 13 games this playoffs . He put up 50 points in 64 games the year prior. 

He does have consistency issues offensively he himself acknowledged during his Canucks media interview when asked on what areas he can see himself improve. 

Apparently made strides defensively. Good on forecheck and back check. 

Still bounced around the bruins lineup this year and from the #1 to #2 PP. was on the #1 PP in the playoffs. They didn’t really have any credible top 6 Cs. 

He will be afforded a lot of opportunity here and with better offensive Cs. 

• Like 1

I've seen a few comparisons of DeBrusk to Burrows. High motor and defensively responsible with good hands and high enough IQ to play with elite players (and likes to play the agitator for time to time).

However, the other thing I've heard about DeBrusk is that even though he can be a tenacious player, at times his effort lacks consistency. Do you know who that reminds me of? JT Miller. He's one year older than Miller was when we got him but they've had very similar production to this point in their careers.

I'm not saying DeBrusk is suddenly going to become a 100 point player, but if he can find any chemistry with Petey 30-35 goals and 65-75 points should be a no brainer. His production struggled a bit this year playing primarily with an aging Marchand and Charlie Coyle but last season he had 27 goals and 50 points in 64 games, good for a 35 goal 64 point pace.

Looking forward to watching him on the Canucks!

• Thanks 1

I see Debrusk as a good character team guy who could play well with Boeser and Miller

I think he might be a like a Anthony Bouvillier type of player only more well rounded. 

In the right situation he will have a chance to be successful on our team

On 7/7/2024 at 12:37 AM, Rypien-Punch said:

I see Debrusk as a good character team guy who could play well with Boeser and Miller

I think he might be a like a Anthony Bouvillier type of player only more well rounded. 

In the right situation he will have a chance to be successful on our team

DeBrusk is more skilled, better defensively, and more physical than Beauvillier. Really the only similarity is that they are both forwards and decent skaters. Beauvillier only hit 20 goals once in his career, DeBrusk has hit 25+ 3 times so far. He might be good with Miller and Boeser, but I'm really hoping he has chemistry with Petey to give Petey a true top 6 winger and hopefully unlock another level in DeBrusk's game.

• Jess changed the title to Jake DeBrusk | #74 | LW