[Signing] Stephenson to Seattle

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Man, the Canucks, as is, are going to be up against it to get to the post season

We'll see, Vegas lost quite a bit of talent 

Edmonton, Vancouver, LA, Vegas,and  Seattle should all be in the mix though 

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Man, the Canucks, as is, are going to be up against it to get to the post season

Why?

Vegas got notably worse, as expected with their cap hell.

Kraken? Maybe if Montour recovers from last year's slide. Along with the rest of the team. Maybe they can pull themselves back in, but I doubt it is at our expense.

Kings? I don't find them particularly scary.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

To me this stands out as the biggest blunder of the day. No way he can play up to that contract.

I actually feel bad saying that, but it’s out there now.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Why?

Kraken? Maybe if Montour recovers from last year's slide. Along with the rest of the team. Maybe they can pull themselves back in, but I doubt it is at our expense.

Yeah.  Predators got some jump, for sure, but the rest didn’t really do much.  

Re: our team: Lindholm did nothing for us regular season.

We’ll miss Zadorov’s mobility more than his size, which is saying a lot. We’ll miss “early season” Cole I guess.

Otherwise, up front, we look faster and able to roll 4 lines who can contribute.  Allvin certainly has a plan in mind with the roster - and it fits with the coaching staff. A lot of guys gained chemistry with each other and in Tocchet / Foote / Gonchar’s system.  That has to count for something after all the moving pieces. 

Back end will struggle at times to move the puck… but should hold up physically and on the PK. 

There’s still room to add or trade, too. And a lot of our moves today are shorter term.  Flexibility is nice. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Duke said:

We’ll miss Zadorov’s mobility more than his size, which is saying a lot. We’ll miss “early season” Cole I guess.

Otherwise, up front, we look faster and able to roll 4 lines who can contribute.  Allvin certainly has a plan in mind with the roster - and it fits with the coaching staff. A lot of guys gained chemistry with each other and in Tocchet / Foote / Gonchar’s system.  That has to count for something after all the moving pieces. 

Back end will struggle at times to move the puck… but should hold up physically and on the PK. 

There’s still room to add or trade, too. And a lot of our moves today are shorter term.  Flexibility is nice. 

Agreed. No huge splash today, so it looks less exciting. But hopefully that means we didn't overpay drastically anywhere. Love having flexibility!

We'll miss big Z. He was sure fun to cheer for.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kragar said:

Why?

Yeah, I don’t really understand his statement either.  We only Lost Zads, Lindholm and Cole.  Lindholm didn’t do much until the playoffs.  We were lighting it up before Zads came in.  I think we’ve replaced Cole somewhat with Forbert.  In fact, I think overall we’ve improved our team speed and grit.  Still have 2m in cap with LTIR savings.  Maybe a move or 2 to come

1 hour ago, coho8888 said:

Yeah, I don’t really understand his statement either.  We only Lost Zads, Lindholm and Cole.  Lindholm didn’t do much until the playoffs.  We were lighting it up before Zads came in.  I think we’ve replaced Cole somewhat with Forbert.  In fact, I think overall we’ve improved our team speed and grit.  Still have 2m in cap with LTIR savings.  Maybe a move or 2 to come

I was hoping for something flashier than DeBrusk, but I'm not all that disappointed. I think he can earn our respect and succeed here.

Speed and grit are great to have, and I don't think our D, as a whole, took too big a hit.

Future is pretty bright, IMO. Just hope the season measures up. We all know anything can happen to turn things south.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kragar said:

Agreed. No huge splash today, so it looks less exciting. But hopefully that means we didn't overpay drastically anywhere. Love having flexibility!

We'll miss big Z. He was sure fun to cheer for.

Exactly what we did last offseason. That seemed to work out alright for us.

• ThereItIs 1

I don't think this is a great signing for Seattle, but I understand last year was a step down for them and they wanted to make some bold moves. 

Still feels like the Pacific is weak overall and outside of the Oilers (maybe Vegas) the Canucks should be able to handle anyone. Even Vegas looks to have had a rough free agency so far, lots of pieces gone. Still never count them out from making a giant trade for a guy like Marner or something. 

23 hours ago, Coconuts said:

We'll see, Vegas lost quite a bit of talent 

Edmonton, Vancouver, LA, Vegas,and  Seattle should all be in the mix though 

I think Vancouver, Edmonton, and Nasvhille all potential got better

but, Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado, Los Angeles all stayed about the same 

Vegas got worse

Out of the non-playoff teams the ones that seem to push are Seattle (especially if Beniers takes another step), Minnesota, and Utah

5 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I think Vancouver, Edmonton, and Nasvhille all potential got better

but, Dallas, Winnipeg, Colorado, Los Angeles all stayed about the same 

Vegas got worse

Out of the non-playoff teams the ones that seem to push are Seattle (especially if Beniers takes another step), Minnesota, and Utah

If I had to guess I'd say Edmonton, Vancouver, and Vegas all end up with divisional spots and one LA and Seattle grabs a wildcard

I'd say Colorado, Winnipeg, and Dallas all grab divisional spots and Nashville grabs the other wildcard spot

Minny's a bit of a dark horse, so is Utah depending on how their pieces work together 

I don't think St. Louis claws their way in

On 7/1/2024 at 12:26 PM, canuck73_3 said:

You said this last season and we won the division so this comment is meaningless 😂

Our forward group is deeper

And we are down an Ian Cole on D

Canucks were playing their best hockey before Zadorov and Lindholm

Stawns just is always negative because he likes the "told ya so" moment

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2024 at 2:36 PM, The Duke said:

Don't underestimate the improvement that we will likely see on the PK.  Desharnais was 99th percentile for PK ability.  Forbort is an excellent PK guy too, along with Heinen and Debrusk.  Add those to Soucy, Joshua, Blueger, etc. and we have many solid options on the PK.  I'd be surprised if our PK isn't top 10 next year.

Stawns just plays the odds.  The last 10 years (prior to this past season), he would have been correct every single year.  He's just continuing on thinking the Canucks haven't improved.

LAK?  They added Foegele... wow... scary.  Now they're also another year older.  There's only so much mileage out of Kopitar and Doughty. 

SEA?  They were 17 points out of a playoff spot last year.  28 points behind the Canucks.  That's a huge gap to make up.  Even with the addition of Stephenson and Montour.

VGK?  They have clearly gotten weaker.  They lost Marchessault, Stephenson, Amadio, and Carrier.  Those are massive losses in the top 6 AND bottom 6. 

CAL/SJS/ANA will be bottom of the heap.

VAN, EDM, NAS, DAL, WPG, COL are the teams to beat in our conference IMO. 

VAN, EDM, VGK will likely be the top 3 in the division.

In terms of WC teams?

STL

MIN

CAL

SEA

UTA

ANA

CHI

SJS

Unless everything, and I mean EVERYTHING goes wrong with the Canucks, I can't see a world where we are not ahead of these WC teams. 

So NO.  Canucks won't be 'up against it' when it comes to making the playoffs lmao.

Edited by HKSR
  • Cheers 2