[Signing] Canucks sign G Jiri Patera

5 minutes ago, CaptainCanuck12 said:

Does Silovs require waivers this year?  If so, he's got the backup job.  If not, Patera may get it, depeding on whether Silovs shows any regression in preseason.

Silovs is exempt from waivers this season.  25/26 is the first season where he'll be subject to waivers to send down to Abby.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Silovs is exempt from waivers this season.  25/26 is the first season where he'll be subject to waivers to send down to Abby.

Makes me wish Canucks signed Campbell. He would be an ideal back up for Demko this season 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

Makes me wish Canucks signed Campbell. He would be an ideal back up for Demko this season 

is management still looking for a backup? So is Patera going to be the starter in Abby, and Silovs the backup to him? 

3 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

is management still looking for a backup? So is Patera going to be the starter in Abby, and Silovs the backup to him? 

Not sure. But Silvos being waiver exempt is a big advantage for the team and Silvos' development. 

The team is allowed to potentially run with 3 goalies in the main club which reduces the risk of injury (especially on Demko) and allows these goalies to be in better condition during the playoffs. 

I think Campbell might be a good fit for the team if they can sign him to a cheap one year deal. ( maybe 2 million x 1 ?  aka post buyout reclamation money ) 

13 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Reimer went to Buffalo for just $1M... why didn't we get him?? Is Patera good enough to be our new backup???

yeah, this is what I'm wondering about as well. Is Patera signed for the backup to Demko? I'm sad that we lost DeSmith. He was, in my opinion, the perfect backup for Demko. 

13 hours ago, RakuRaku said:

Reimer went to Buffalo for just $1M... why didn't we get him?? Is Patera good enough to be our new backup???

Reimer would have been a great backup as well. Wonder who management is looking at. 

9 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Jones or Lankinen would be my guess

Martin Jones would be nice, from North Van!! bring him back home!!! he did a decent job for the Leafs last season.... won't demand more than $1M I'm sure.... but now that we've picked up Patera, looks like we are gonna use Silovs as our new backup?? 

On 7/2/2024 at 4:30 AM, N4ZZY said:

Not sure they even know. PA mentioned that they may have Silov’s doing some back and forth to get more games. Patera is likely 3/4th guy behind Silovs and Tolipolo.  Ty Young may be around too. 

• Upvote 1

On 7/2/2024 at 9:48 AM, RakuRaku said:

I'm sure Ian Clark must be invested in this player and had some input. 6"3' 215.

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Not sure they even know. PA mentioned that they may have Silov’s doing some back and forth to get more games. Patera is likely 3/4th guy behind Silovs and Tolipolo.  Ty Young may be around too. 

Allvin included Ty Young in his interview as one of the 5 goalies they want to play this year.

I’d have to fact check this but Ty Young may be AHL eligible this year. So maybe he gets some reps instead of Canucks signing another project.

They seem to be high on him.

On 7/2/2024 at 11:01 PM, DeNiro said:

Kevin Lankinen?

Finnish goalie played for Chicago and Nashville.

Youngest of the bunch at 29. Career .905 SV% 

Is he a good goalie? Sounds like a career backup, might not be as good as DeSmith was for us. 

12 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I'm sure Ian Clark must be invested in this player and had some input. 6"3' 215.

I mean, if Clark says so, then I'd be more inclined to believe the Canucks made a good bet. 

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Is he a good goalie? Sounds like a career backup, might not be as good as DeSmith was for us. 

He is a career backup which is what we need at this point.

Hes a good goalie. Played for a horrible Chicago team and still managed to put up a decent season a few years ago playing 37 games.

He was better in Nashville with more structure in front of him. Had a .916 SV% two seasons ago.

But really it’s the Ian Clark factor that will determine what level he can reach. Clark has turned some pretty unproven and average goalies into solid goaltenders. I’m sure a goalie with some actual NHL pedigree like Lankinen could thrive under him.

Edited by DeNiro

• Jess unpinned this topic