(Signing) Canucks sign Vincent Desharnais

I dont mind Desharnais...but im certainly concerned about the puck moving ability of our dcore outside of Hughes.

Soucy-Myers

Forbert-Desharnais.

great size, but very concerned about the skating and ability to move the puck up ice to our forwards. Not sure this was the right move after you got Forbort.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DexM94 said:

we have a blatant hole in the top 6, and still some cap space.

no way Allvin is done.

Guess we'll see what the man's got up his sleeve. 

I still think the defense needs some work, no way he could be done there, could he? 

27 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I dont mind Desharnais...but im certainly concerned about the puck moving ability of our dcore outside of Hughes.

Soucy-Myers

Forbert-Desharnais.

great size, but very concerned about the skating and ability to move the puck up ice to our forwards. Not sure this was the right move after you got Forbort.

Might have to go to the bargain bin for some puck moving help. 

What about Bovqist or Brannstrom? Those guys are still relatively young, seems like their clubs haven't given up on them, maybe in the right system (Tocchet's system), they could thrive? 

4 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Guess we'll see what the man's got up his sleeve. 

I still think the defense needs some work, no way he could be done there, could he? 

which of the 8 nhl defencemen they have already do you expect to get pushed out? they just re-signed friedman and they seem to love juulsen. 

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, tas said:

which of the 8 nhl defencemen they have already do you expect to get pushed out? they just re-signed friedman and they seem to love juulsen. 

I can see both Forbort and Friedman being sent to AHL at points this season. IMO theres room for another dman 

Edited by Whorvat

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Yeah, I'm curious as well. Guess we'll see soon enough. 

Is Allvin done for the summer, though? Or is there some more tweaking to be done roster wise? 

Ideally we find a way to either add a top 4D or another scoring winger imo, we do have some space 

Could even see ourselves shipping someone out, but the only larger contract that really makes sense in that sense is Garland and we probably need him stirring the drink on the third line 

Right now we're still banking on Hoglander taking a step forward in the top six again, and on playing one of Suter or Heinen in the top six, and we're banking on Myers to play top 4 minutes (which is largely did last season, so maybe not the end of the world)

Edited by Coconuts

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Soucy-Myers

Forbert-Desharnais.

Matching up fwds and d lines when u got our 3rd pairing they will play with 3rd or 4th line fwds and with Hughes and Hronek will usually be playing with the top 2 fwd lines to generate max offense.

I think management by doing this is giving other guys a chance to take these guys spot where as we signed bigger contract those players will need their spots to secure, with these 2 small signing who knows what players in the system will step up, if not will trade to upgrade nothing to sweat about season hasn't even began and we left some cap space say 3 mil and by midway thru season it will become 4+ mill and if we trade a roster spot can get someone 5-6 mil and probably signed to good deal with some terms.

Good patient move by management giving younger guys a chance to show or will make a trade for what we need.  Pods, Hogs, Suter, Karlsson and Garland could all be moving parts to make trades.  Their will be injuries during the season so their will be some extra cap by the deadline.

Edited by Madskillz
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Ideally we find a way to either add a top 4D or another scoring winger imo, we do have some space 

Could even see ourselves shipping someone out, but the only larger contract that really makes sense in that sense is Garland and we probably need him stirring the drink on the third line 

Right now we're still banking on Hoglander taking a step forward in the top six again, and on playing one of Suter or Heinen in the top six, and we're banking on Myers to play top 4 minutes (which is largely did last season, so maybe not the end of the world)

Hogs is skilled just lacking abit of IQ which can be improved or be a trade chip before deadline.  Myers last season had huge improvements in defensive awareness and picking his spots to rush the puck was alot better, his skating will not drop and if he continues to learn his positioning and decision making he could look like a 5 mil dollar man and we got our top pairing to eat up most of the mins every game, he's good for 18-22 min a game against the right matchups.  Myers has days where he wakes up on the wrong side of the bed and goes to the game trying to hurt players we need that nasty side of his more now with big Z gone.

Edited by Madskillz

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Soucy-Myers

Forbert-Desharnais.

This was a good rebound by management. I think Foote and Gonchar will be able to help him management his limitations and help leverage his size and talents in other areas. Will be interesting to see their influence on his game. I think it will be a big positive for him. Plus that and what he learned from Coffey.

10 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Soucy-Myers

Forbert-Desharnais.

does 

Soucy - Desharnais

Forbot - Myers

look better?

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, bh90 said:

does 

Soucy - Desharnais

Forbot - Myers

look better?

Probably both could work but Soucy was a large reason Myers looked so good. Myers and Zadorov were absolutely horrible together as they both have low hockey IQ. Forbort is a lot more consistent defensively though, so it's an option I think, and one that may pay dividends. Although we'll have to see how many more minutes Desharnais can handle.

I typically don't like too many dmen that are overly big and have natural mobility issues. However that's our MO now, and I'm warming up to Desharnais. They obviously think he can handle more and I did like his game in the playoffs and end of the year.

Edited by Gawdzukes

2 minutes ago, bh90 said:

good points

the only thing i'm certain off is that we probably won't see Forbot and Desharnais together on the same pair because there's a lack of offense there

PA's been hinting it about splitting up Hughes/Hronek and Tocc mentioned that for next year he wants to work on the D being more active and joining the rush.

I think the top 3 D (Hughes, Hronek, Soucy) will start off by leading their own pair and Desharnais, Forbot, Juulsen, Myers will fit in where they are best suited.

I think Hughes - Desharnais should be tried out for sure. We'll never know if it works unless they give it a shot

im sure theyll try it

i was combing through old player discussions on him by oilers fans and i must say im appreciating this signing more

they have lots of love for his extreme work ethic, gratitude, stays late to work with coaches, etc. 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, bh90 said:

good points

the only thing i'm certain off is that we probably won't see Forbot and Desharnais together on the same pair because there's a lack of offense there

PA's been hinting it about splitting up Hughes/Hronek and Tocc mentioned that for next year he wants to work on the D being more active and joining the rush.

I think the top 3 D (Hughes, Hronek, Soucy) will start off by leading their own pair and Desharnais, Forbot, Juulsen, Myers will fit in where they are best suited.

I think Hughes - Desharnais should be tried out for sure. We'll never know if it works unless they give it a shot

Also very good points ... I'm all for trying Desharnais with Hughes who can maybe make up for a lack of footspeed. As long as Desharnais can play the puck efficiently and not limit #43's effectiveness. However, I doubt he can keep up to Hughes minute wise so that becomes a slight problem. Hughes played 24:41 toi last year, and Desharnais 15:41.

Not to disagree per se but I feel we will see a Forbort Desharnais pairing quite likely, playing low 5v5 minutes, and tonnes of PK. Similar to Lindholm playing 3rd line center I think RT will feel he has little choice in the end but to go back to Hughes Hronek as a fulltime pairing as Myers is horrible with Hughes.

As @HarbularyBattery mentioned I am more and more happy with the Desharnais signing the more I look into it. Definitely looks to have some upside and is just progressing a little later than most.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Whorvat said:

I can see both Forbort and Friedman being sent to AHL at points this season. IMO theres room for another dman 

We are one post the better teams now so risking losing our depth on waivers is a possibility. 

What is the waiver exemption for salary where cap is freed up? 

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lekkerimaki and Podkolzin get the chance to battle for that spot in camp, with a trade if it becomes clear neither can handle it.

8 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Lekkerimaki and Podkolzin get the chance to battle for that spot in camp, with a trade if it becomes clear neither can handle it.

Maybe, but if an opportunity arises beforehand I think management might do something 

11 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Soucy-Myers

Forbert-Desharnais.

I like Soucy as someone who can move the puck. But outside of him, Hughes and Hronek, I share the same concerns. I'll be very interested to see if Willander can step into the lineup once his season at BU concludes. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

What you need to think of, is that who's going to stay.   Podz or Hogs.   We won't have space for both.   Lekkermaki is the chosen one now.   The rest of the roster is filled out. 

So well you nailed it.   One is going.  Won't be Lekkermaki though. 

Edited by IBatch

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Probably both could work but Soucy was a large reason Myers looked so good. Myers and Zadorov were absolutely horrible together as they both have low hockey IQ. Forbort is a lot more consistent defensively though, so it's an option I think, and one that may pay dividends. Although we'll have to see how many more minutes Desharnais can handle.

I typically don't like too many dmen that are overly big and have natural mobility issues. However that's our MO now, and I'm warming up to Desharnais. They obviously think he can handle more and I did like his game in the playoffs and end of the year.

this is the new trainable Myers tho, so we're not trying to go from full chaos to last years guy. 

We have to try separating Soucy and Myers I think. 

I don't think anyone saw Foote having as much impact on Myers as what we saw, so maybe refurbishing giant d men is his wheelhouse.