(Signing) Canucks sign Vincent Desharnais

43 minutes ago, RakuRaku said:

Wowwww after seeing some videos of Desharnais' fights... I'm starting to love this signing more & more.... Yeah sure, $2M is a bit rich but when was the last time the Canucks got a nasty fighter since Brashear??? I have been soooooooooo sick and tired of seeing our guys get bullied and pummeled all the frigging time!!!!!!!!!! Not that winning fights will help us win games but it does matter!!! 

Huge guy with quick twitch fibres. Quick hands and quick feet. IMHAO this guy will end up pjj on paying with Hughes. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

just checking the stats pages, I think VD got the short end of the stick playing with Nurse. VD's numbers away from Nurse are much better, particularly shots for and against.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=3&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2024-04-20&td=2024-06-24&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=0&p2=8479576&p3=8477498&p4=0&p5=0

Im coming around to this signing bigly

Theres a lot to like. Yes there were a couple of truly egregious turnovers and he was kinda easy for canucks forwards to take advantage of in the corners but we all know what happens when youre saddled with a useless D partner, and Nurse was HORRIBLE. 

Beyond that, the limited NHL experience he has gives him a way higher ceiling. Edmonton fans say he grew leaps and bounds just from one season to the next. Give him a proper structure and some coaching and I think he'll be a pleasant surprise

big question is whether hes got enough puck handling skills to not hurt us in the top 2 pairs, or if offense is going to die on his stick, which would relegate him to the third pair

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Theres a lot to like. Yes there were a couple of truly egregious turnovers and he was kinda easy for canucks forwards to take advantage of in the corners but we all know what happens when youre saddled with a useless D partner, and Nurse was HORRIBLE. 

Beyond that, the limited NHL experience he has gives him a way higher ceiling. Edmonton fans say he grew leaps and bounds just from one season to the next. Give him a proper structure and some coaching and I think he'll be a pleasant surprise

big question is whether hes got enough puck handling skills to not hurt us in the top 2 pairs, or if offense is going to die on his stick, which would relegate him to the third pair

definitely 3rd pairing for now I would think. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HarbularyBattery said:

This signing will be a good test to see our coaches capability. 

If they can turn him into a 4/5 level of defenceman our D-Core that would be significant. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I just want to see him beat the shit out of Evander Kane next time we play Edmonton. If that happens the contract would be worth it. 

I'd prefer if he did that to McDiver.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

24 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

just checking the stats pages, I think VD got the short end of the stick playing with Nurse. VD's numbers away from Nurse are much better, particularly shots for and against.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=3&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2024-04-20&td=2024-06-24&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=0&p2=8479576&p3=8477498&p4=0&p5=0

I heard his name a lot during the playoffs but I hate Edmonton so wasn't watching with the same intensity as a canucks game haha 

• Haha 1

I'm personally excited to see how much growth Desharnais has. It's been well established that he's a late bloomer, and sounds like he's definitely found his niche as a regular - even if he was out of the lineup at times during the playoffs.

24 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I just want to see him beat the shit out of Evander Kane next time we play Edmonton. If that happens the contract would be worth it. 

I want to see Myers go after Connor the way he went after DrySaddle, so we can call him McRib.

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Might want to put Soucy with Desharnais and Myers with Fobort. 

Myers/Soucy have better wheels and ability to move the puck out of the zone and in transition than Forbort/Desharnais. Forbort is an alright skater and probably can handle 18ish minutes with Myers. 

The goalies are gonna have a clear lane to see a lot of the time. The guys we got can clear the front of the net. 

Yeah use Soucy and Desharnais as a shut down pair.  Will also help them build chemistry as our main PK pair.

Forbort is defence first as well, so Myers can have more offensive latitude on that pair.

1 hour ago, Bob Long said:

this is the new trainable Myers tho, so we're not trying to go from full chaos to last years guy. 

We have to try separating Soucy and Myers I think. 

I don't think anyone saw Foote having as much impact on Myers as what we saw, so maybe refurbishing giant d men is his wheelhouse. 

Definitely worth a try. I do think it'll end up Hughes, Hronek, and Soucy, Myers, myself, but we'll see. No one figured Hughes and Hronek would be partners last pre-season either.

Definitely think Foote is major component and is an incredible asset.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)

Myers was a liability, chaos, whipping boy, one foot out the door from his overpayment, and being chased by the angry, rabid lynch mob before Foote and Gonchar saved him from the brink of darkness and despair, turned him around, increased his value, taught him how to leverage his size in the right way, pacified the masses, and actually made those same angry, rabid fans want to keep him. 

Pretty amazing!

I have full confidence that Foote and Gonchar will work their magic on Desharnais and execute that voodoo that they do so well.

Edited by Dr. Crossbar
  • Cheers 4

48 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Definitely worth a try. I do think it'll end up Hughes, Hronek, and Soucy, Myers, myself, but we'll see. No one figured Hughes and Hronek would be partners last pre-season either.

Don’t underestimate the “Foote” effect.  He turned Julien into a serviceable 3rd pairing RD

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

55 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Its also Tocs system and the def knowing where the forwards will be for support and breakouts

And also the forwards committing to team defence and helping out

But for sure its all of it and clearly our coaching staff is making a big difference.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

I'm personally excited to see how much growth Desharnais has. It's been well established that he's a late bloomer, and sounds like he's definitely found his niche as a regular - even if he was out of the lineup at times during the playoffs.

could clear 7' by october. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Huge guy with quick twitch fibres. Quick hands and quick feet. IMHAO this guy will end up pjj on paying with Hughes. 

You know I sort of wondered if they'd try this

Hughes desharnais

Soucy Hronek

Forbort Myers 

Edited by ronning4center

Just now, ronning4center said:

Hughes desharnais

Soucy Hronek

Forbort Myers 

I'm thinking a soucy-myers-desharnais 4th line. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ronning4center said:

Hughes desharnais

Soucy Hronek

Forbort Myers 

I doubt it. I think he'll be in and out of the lineup with Juulsen as Big V learns from our coaching staff how to play NHL defence. 

31 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

I doubt it. I think he'll be in and out of the lineup with Juulsen as Big V learns from our coaching staff how to play NHL defence. 

They didn’t pay him 2 million to be in and out of the lineup. If he’s healthy, he will be in the lineup.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

So does he still slot in as a third pair defenseman? Or does he have upside to be higher in the line up? 

16 minutes ago, J-23 said:

They didn’t pay him 2 million to be in and out of the lineup. If he’s healthy, he will be in the lineup.

He will definitely bring a nastiness to the game that the Canucks will be playing. There is definitely a theme with all the acquisitions that the Canucks made the other day. All of them are tough to play against, and can be annoying. 

• ThereItIs 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Foote is definitely an incredible asset to the coaching staff.