(Signing) Canucks sign Vincent Desharnais

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Might want to put Soucy with Desharnais and Myers with Fobort. 

Myers/Soucy have better wheels and ability to move the puck out of the zone and in transition than Forbort/Desharnais. Forbort is an alright skater and probably can handle 18ish minutes with Myers. 

The goalies are gonna have a clear lane to see a lot of the time. The guys we got can clear the front of the net. 

I think the players and org really like Soucy. When healthy he really impressed; many would consider him a core piece.

He is our number three.

I definitely like your alien brain approach because it pushes him to run a pair.

3 hours ago, Bob Long said:

just checking the stats pages, I think VD got the short end of the stick playing with Nurse. VD's numbers away from Nurse are much better, particularly shots for and against.

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/linestats.php?fromseason=20232024&thruseason=20232024&stype=3&sit=5v5&score=all&rate=n&team=EDM&vteam=ALL&view=wowy&loc=B&gpfilt=none&fd=2024-04-20&td=2024-06-24&tgp=2000&strict=incl&p1=0&p2=8479576&p3=8477498&p4=0&p5=0

I really like some of those numbers! While I hate Nurse, to his credit he’s probably playing tougher minutes when he isn’t with Desharnais.

They had me interested in what his stats were across all his pairs. This is just even strength, but nice to see that with Kulak he had a positive Corsi and +1.

I know it’s unlikely that Desharnais plays with Hughes, but in his very limited even strength minutes with Bouchard they had good offensive numbers, despite equal GF and GA.

IMG_0185.thumb.png.940a3fdd42e2d2df8510b3947ef731fe.png

IMG_0186.thumb.png.153c167345089ad22aaae872d0d5ea73.png

• ThereItIs 1

44 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

So does he still slot in as a third pair defenseman? Or does he have upside to be higher in the line up? 

Tbh I'd be thrilled if Foote can turn him into a legitimate bottom pair for next season 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

I really like some of those numbers! While I hate Nurse, to his credit he’s probably playing tougher minutes when he isn’t with Desharnais.

They had me interested in what his stats were across all his pairs. This is just even strength, but nice to see that with Kulak he had a positive Corsi and +1.

I know it’s unlikely that Desharnais plays with Hughes, but in his very limited even strength minutes with Bouchard they had good offensive numbers, despite equal GF and GA.

IMG_0185.thumb.png.940a3fdd42e2d2df8510b3947ef731fe.png

IMG_0186.thumb.png.153c167345089ad22aaae872d0d5ea73.png

Yep this is the stuff I'm sure the scouting group were excited about 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2024 at 1:21 PM, Master Mind said:

2m for a guy who lost his spot on a weak Oilers blue line.

Poor signing.

Hey if this coaching staff can turn Myers game around the way they did they could do miracles with this guy.

• Like 3

On 7/1/2024 at 1:18 PM, zduck14 said:

I dont hate this. Of all the Oilers players this is one of the few I didn't mind. Big and tough and his game could take a big step under Foote's coaching.

but didn't deadmonton have coffee?

Posted (edited)

Deharnais

114 NHL games 180 hits 170 blocks

In the playoffs he only had 8 hits in 28 games. I'm sure he was injured which reduced his hitting.

I'd say the important thing right now is getting him to work with the trainers to work on his weaknesses. Skating, fitness, skills and passing. Things Gonchar and Foote can layout for him. I think there will be upside that the coaches have probably already talked about. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Wow. That's a lot of blocks and hits. 

How is his foot speed? 

I think all our new guys need to work on skating this summer. Find another level of mobility.  We already know they can play. Coach Gonchar is probably our better skating coach. 

I'd would go with 11/7 to try out d pairings too in the preseason.  Switch them up and see who has chemistry. 

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Vintage 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/1/2024 at 1:55 PM, Blitz-Pix said:

We got a lot of size and shot blockers on the back end, not sure how mobile any of them are.

Somebody is going to have to retrieve the pucks and get it out of our end, if Hronek and Hughes play together.

I'm willing to bet Hughes Hronek play on separate lines next year for the most part. 🧐

Also injuries, Willander, other signings, trades, development etc. could change things up.

As of now & the upside of maturity & the coaches this could be all we need to succeed. If not we're in good hands.

Hughes-Myers

Soucy-Hronek

Forbort-Desharnais

Juulsen-Friedman

Edited by PuckYa

7 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

So does he still slot in as a third pair defenseman? Or does he have upside to be higher in the line up? 

He only needs to be a solid nasty 3rd pairing Dman.  Willander will be in the 2nd pairing at some point. 

Hughes           Hronek 

Pettersson     Willander 

Soucy             Desharnais 

This is our defence in 2 years. We lose some size with Myers out, but we gain another puck moving Dman in Willander who will anchor the 2nd pairing for the next 15 years. 

• Cheers 2

This is the only negative/risky signing for me. Vinnie seems like a fan fav in EDM which I like, and a great PKer which I really like, but what is he 5v5? Hopefully a legit #5 but I guess we'll find out.

That said, this coaching staff did fantastic work last season, so maybe they actually can get legit #5 level play out of him which makes this a good signing. But as of today I think we are missing 1 more legit top 4 Dman on our way to winning the cup.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Jester13 said:

I doubt it. I think he'll be in and out of the lineup with Juulsen as Big V learns from our coaching staff how to play NHL defence. 

Big V was a component to EDM's all-time ridiculous PK unit.    Also he's "a long defenseman", something Tochett's a fan of. 

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

This is the only negative/risky signing for me. Vinnie seems like a fan fav in EDM which I like, and a great PKer which I really like, but what is he 5v5? Hopefully a legit #5 but I guess we'll find out.

That said, this coaching staff did fantastic work last season, so maybe they actually can get legit #5 level play out of him which makes this a good signing. But as of today I think we are missing 1 more legit top 4 Dman on our way to winning the cup.

He's been paid like a number 6 vet should be paid.   Same range as Jordie Benn, and Luke Schenn.   Making 2/3 what we paid Cole and Myers.   Cole got a raise.     

Do agree we could use another top four D or at least a 4/5.    That can happen during the season like we did with Zadarov as needed, TDL too.    Also curious if he's been signed to play with QH's.    Would take a hit on his production, but could create a more balanced team.    EK's regular pairing was Mark Methot, not exactly a guy who moved the needle much but could clear the net and work the boards.    Not sure Tochett is going to be as keen to play those two together now that teams know exactly how to remove roving from QHs arsenal (post season, when things don't get called the same, and when hitting amps up significantly). 

Edited by IBatch

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

He only needs to be a solid nasty 3rd pairing Dman.  Willander will be in the 2nd pairing at some point. 

Hughes           Hronek 

Pettersson     Willander 

Soucy             Desharnais 

This is our defence in 2 years. We lose some size with Myers out, but we gain another puck moving Dman in Willander who will anchor the 2nd pairing for the next 15 years. 

Maybe 3 years.   Expect it could be Myers and not Desharnais.    Something tells me Myers will keep getting contracts until he's ready to hang them up.    Value goes up in the post season.    12 teams so it shouldn't be hard to sell him his final year,  think we should be a playoff team though, and doubt we trade him.    Unless he loses significant foot speed like Edler did.   Hasn't yet though. 

QHs Desharnais 

Soucy Hronek 

Forbet Myers 

That's another option this season.    Allvin didn't outright say it,  but did indicate at the 26 minute mark of his presser, that Hronek could carry his own pairing.     Splitting up the wealth and setting things up for the post season like this, makes a lot of sense after what we saw versus both NSH and EDM.    NSH, as an aside, just got added a lot of scoring and upgraded their defense, goaltending.   

By game 3-4 QHs stopped moving the puck himself, and relied on short quick efficient passes to get it out of his zone most of the time.   Hronek would get him the puck, he wouldn't keep it.   Desharnais can do that too.   And be there to keep others from taking liberties. 

It's either this, or we will see QHs and Hronek's minutes go up significantly.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, HKSR said:

Yeah use Soucy and Desharnais as a shut down pair.  Will also help them build chemistry as our main PK pair.

Forbort is defence first as well, so Myers can have more offensive latitude on that pair.

But Forbort should be the first dman out on the PK.  

18 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Desharnais was 99th percentile on the PK last year

I think the pk will be vastly improved from last year, and should be top 5. Forbort, Desharnais, Heinen, Debrusk,  and Sherwood are a huge upgrade. This will allow us to play aggressive and to our strengths imo. Desharnais could be a 'huge' pickup for us...😆 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Big V was a component to EDM's all-time ridiculous PK unit.    Also he's "a long defenseman", something Tochett's a fan of. 

And he'll get his chances and minutes. But it sounds like he's not very good at all at moving the puck out of the zone, so he'll see the press box sometimes against certain teams and continue to be taught how to not panic and get the puck out safe and clean more often. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

And he'll get his chances and minutes. But it sounds like he's not very good at all at moving the puck out of the zone, so he'll see the press box sometimes against certain teams and continue to be taught how to not panic and get the puck out safe and clean more often. 

Feature of 4 of our top 6. 
They are all big, good at clogging the middle but struggle to get the puck out of the zone with control. 
The Soucy-Myers pairing got consistently buried in their end in playoffs giving up second and third opportunities like crazy. 
Forbort is known to be a bit of a turnover machine too. 
That should probably be our biggest concern with current lineup other than lack of RH centre. 
We will likely see a lot more of a split up of the Hughes-Hronek pairing to try to get some better puck moving out of this D. 

• Like 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Feature of 4 of our top 6. 
They are all big, good at clogging the middle but struggle to get the puck out of the zone with control. 
The Soucy-Myers pairing got consistently buried in their end in playoffs giving up second and third opportunities like crazy. 
Forbort is known to be a bit of a turnover machine too. 
That should probably be our biggest concern with current lineup other than lack of RH centre. 
We will likely see a lot more of a split up of the Hughes-Hronek pairing to try to get some better puck moving out of this D. 

Yes.    To me I see the Forbot signing as a do the minimum and wait for later for a trade.   He's a big guy yes.   It's not like he's giving the puck away a ton (Forbot playing bottom pairing),  and his minutes if you analyze them, top four is when he's exposed.    Personally see Forbot as this years Irwin upgrade.   And we haven't found the Ian Cole yet.    Look at his games played.   Salo and Tanev like.    Maybe it's intentional,   because Brisbois was expected to play games until he went down last year too. 

Agree, they will need to split up QHs and Hronek, otherwise they will be playing an extra 4-5 minutes a game. 

Edit:  That extra cap.   Saved for defense.   Or  3C.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

59 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes.    To me I see the Forbot signing as a do the minimum and wait for later for a trade.   He's a big guy yes.   It's not like he's giving the puck away a ton (Forbot playing bottom pairing),  and his minutes if you analyze them, top four is when he's exposed.    Personally see Forbot as this years Irwin upgrade.   And we haven't found the Ian Cole yet.    Look at his games played.   Salo and Tanev like.    Maybe it's intentional,   because Brisbois was expected to play games until he went down last year too. 

Agree, they will need to split up QHs and Hronek, otherwise they will be playing an extra 4-5 minutes a game. 

Edit:  That extra cap.   Saved for defense.   Or  3C.   

Breezy was knocking on the door before missing the entire season. Don’t expect to see him for a while, needs to get legs back on the AHL but he definitely gives us a decent option if he can bounce back from injury. Tanev style D man with good size and mobility but no offensive game.