(Signing) Canucks sign Vincent Desharnais

5 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

im not sure how that works with time constraints Doc,  but I beleive this is an interesting situation .

I just started a new thread in this Category to see how it unfolds .

The Oilers are in a bit of a mess right now, no GM ,.  
actually saw Bennings name come up on other feeds .   

I sincerely hope they hire Benning. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

Thoughts ?

Seeing some chatter about Deharnais x team mate  possibly being available.

Philip Broberg Is an RFA ,.

has not been qualified to the Oilers who stand aprx 2.5m over cap.

The Canucks (LTIR ) are under by roughly the same amount .

Broberg is 23 yrs , 6’3” 200 lbs

(Poolman ?  (LTIR) Could he be offered back to make them Cap Compliant?)

Great future ,  on the right team for Broberg.

Qualifying OfferTooltip: $874,125
CLAUSE DETAILS: Broberg's European Assignment clause applies to year 1 and 2 of his Entry Level contract (years in which the player is CHL eligible).
CLAUSE SOURCE: CapFriendly
European Union This contract includes a European Assignment Clause

A simple google search shows that he was qualified June 30th. 

Screenshot_20240705_093421_Chrome.jpg

8 minutes ago, Coryberg said:

A simple google search shows that he was qualified June 30th. 

Screenshot_20240705_093421_Chrome.jpg

understanding Qualfied offer but not signed is what we’re discovering in the “Broberg rumour thread”  Cory . 
cheers .

1 hour ago, SilentSam said:

understanding Qualfied offer but not signed is what we’re discovering in the “Broberg rumour thread”  Cory . 
cheers .

same boat as Šilovs is isn't it? Wasn't he tendered a QO by the Canucks, but haven't signed it yet? 

54 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

same boat as Šilovs is isn't it? Wasn't he tendered a QO by the Canucks, but haven't signed it yet? 

Correct, some RFA players have arb rights depending on how many games they've played in the NHL I believe.   

I think Edmonton sticks a 1st on Kane and trades him to a bottom team. That frees up over $5 million this year and next which will be enough to put them back below the cap and have about 2.5 remaining. Sucks to lose a first, but you can't lose these young solid players and they seem to be taking steps, so you should be fine. 

Holloway will be cheap on a 2 year deal I think. Broberg is a little tougher as he's already starting to look like a top 4 Dman, but you can bridge him too to manage a couple more years. 

They can also toss a pick onto Cecei and trade him which frees up cap this season.

3 hours ago, SilentSam said:

cheers .

Oh my bad I thought somebody said

5 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Philip Broberg Is an RFA ,.

has not been qualified to the Oilers who stand aprx 2.5m over cap.

Man do I feel stupid... cheers!

1 hour ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Correct, some RFA players have arb rights depending on how many games they've played in the NHL I believe.   

Hope Šilovs signs soon. We need him! 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

I think Edmonton sticks a 1st on Kane and trades him to a bottom team. That frees up over $5 million this year and next which will be enough to put them back below the cap and have about 2.5 remaining. Sucks to lose a first, but you can't lose these young solid players and they seem to be taking steps, so you should be fine. 

Holloway will be cheap on a 2 year deal I think. Broberg is a little tougher as he's already starting to look like a top 4 Dman, but you can bridge him too to manage a couple more years. 

They can also toss a pick onto Cecei and trade him which frees up cap this season.

Well, other teams aren't going to make it easy on Edmonton to get rid of cap. What do you think is needed to offload Ceci? A 2nd? 3rd?

23 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Well, other teams aren't going to make it easy on Edmonton to get rid of cap. What do you think is needed to offload Ceci? A 2nd? 3rd?

No true it won't be easy to move off them, but look at Van over the past couple years, we've dumped 3 guys now is it? 

I think a 2nd is definitely enough to move off Ceci. A 3rd would be even nicer, maybe as the summer goes a team will see a need for him on their D to fill a spot.

Kane should absolutely be moveable with a 1st (maybe even a 2nd if they retain like 500k-1mil). I think he even has some value once he's healed up. Not a great locker room guy, but for a rebuilder you can pull in an asset to take him on and then retain him at 50% at a deadline and get another asset back (Monahan for example). 

1 hour ago, Bobby James said:

Kane has a NMC so he can veto any trade. He won’t agree to go to a bottom feeder. We all know Kane is a dick so I am sure he will literally screw Edmonton as much as he can if they try and force a trade upon him. 

This is what happens when you sign players like Kane. You reap what you sow. 

• Like 2
  • ThereItIs 2

The more I think about this, the more it is my least favorite signing this offseason. Is he a big guy? Sure. But then, so is Forbort for 75% of the price and one less year to worry about if he doesn't work out. To me, a 2 million player is a player who you expect to do fairly well in a 3rd pairing role and IMO, Desharnais hasn't shown a whole lot to indicate he should have received a 3X raise or will perform the role at a level any better than your average 6th D. (Again, besides his obvious size).

I was talking to my 11yo son last night about the Canucks cap situation, and that with Poolman's IR we have about 2.75m remaining. He said: Why did we sign Desharnais if we could have combined his 2m with the 2.75 we have and get nearly a 5m defenseman? After thinking about it, I didn't have a good explanation for him. Why DIDN'T we do that? If you look at our lineup, there really aren't a lot of trade candidates on the team and essentially none on D. Given his salary, you have to figure Allvin assumes Desharnais will be in the lineup full-time. Which means if did manage to get another defenseman, Forbort is likely the one sitting out, eating up 1.5m cap instead of a guy like Wolanin or Jullsen at half that price. If we did get someone closer to 5m, they would have slotted into the 2nd pairing, allowing us to shelter Myers' minutes on the bottom pairing with Forbort. Instead, our bottom pairing looks like a who's who of a giveaway machine.

It just doesn't seem like good use of cap space to me. What am I missing? Wouldn't we all rather have gotten a puck mover who could contribute points over Desharnais?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I sincerely hope they hire Benning. 

He's ok so as long as he has a guy like "JR" as the President (or sage/overseer).  No ability to hire coaching staff (Benning).

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

4 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

He's ok so as long as he has a guy like "JR" as the President (or sage/overseer).  No ability to hire coaching staff (Benning).

Not sure how you got to that conclusion when he was just as crappy with Linden and has never had another boss as GM. 
‘Was he not as bad as an AGM when not in charge, maybe. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Not sure how you got to that conclusion when he was just as crappy with Linden and has never had another boss as GM. 
‘Was he not as bad as an AGM when not in charge, maybe. 

Linden was also "learning on the job".  Issue was *all* three main guys were essentially "rookies" (Head Coach, President & GM) at that particular role(s).  With a guy like John Weisbrod in support.🤣  Throw in the "owner" wanting to play with his new toy.

imho, a guy like JR (didn't have to be him) could've made the difference.  Even a guy like Brian Burke had a capable #2 in Dave Nonis to handle certain things.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

47 minutes ago, Reznor said:

The more I think about this, the more it is my least favorite signing this offseason. Is he a big guy? Sure. But then, so is Forbort for 75% of the price and one less year to worry about if he doesn't work out. To me, a 2 million player is a player who you expect to do fairly well in a 3rd pairing role and IMO, Desharnais hasn't shown a whole lot to indicate he should have received a 3X raise or will perform the role at a level any better than your average 6th D. (Again, besides his obvious size).

I was talking to my 11yo son last night about the Canucks cap situation, and that with Poolman's IR we have about 2.75m remaining. He said: Why did we sign Desharnais if we could have combined his 2m with the 2.75 we have and get nearly a 5m defenseman? After thinking about it, I didn't have a good explanation for him. Why DIDN'T we do that? If you look at our lineup, there really aren't a lot of trade candidates on the team and essentially none on D. Given his salary, you have to figure Allvin assumes Desharnais will be in the lineup full-time. Which means if did manage to get another defenseman, Forbort is likely the one sitting out, eating up 1.5m cap instead of a guy like Wolanin or Jullsen at half that price. If we did get someone closer to 5m, they would have slotted into the 2nd pairing, allowing us to shelter Myers' minutes on the bottom pairing with Forbort. Instead, our bottom pairing looks like a who's who of a giveaway machine.

It just doesn't seem like good use of cap space to me. What am I missing? Wouldn't we all rather have gotten a puck mover who could contribute points over Desharnais?

I would have upgraded on Desharnais - but that assumes Roy, Pesce or Walker were willing to sign here.  Decent RD in UFA are expensive and rare. That leaves a trade - and we don’t exactly have a ton of capital, not to mention teams usually aren’t looking to sell in the offseason. 

As it stands, Desharnais has some upside according to management and coaches.  He also fits the identity of our back end and was an excellent PK guy last year.  It’s my most questionable signing as well, but offers similar upside to Sherwood or Heinen.

Finally, I think management wants to keep some flexibility with the remaining cap.  Locking in to those UFAs is a big commitment.

We probably will need to upgrade D via trade, but who knows? Maybe we’ll need a forward instead. I can see why management seems happy to stand pat as-is. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Kane has a NMC so he can veto any trade. He won’t agree to go to a bottom feeder. We all know Kane is a dick so I am sure he will literally screw Edmonton as much as he can if they try and force a trade upon him. 

This is what happens when you sign players like Kane. You reap what you sow. 

how this guy convinced holland to give him a NMC is mindblowing to me. if anything, kane should have to sign a no douchebag clause, where if he reverts back to being his usual self, he has to pay back his salary and work at the arena concessions for the rest of the contract. 

• ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Oh my bad I thought somebody said

Man do I feel stupid... cheers!

You get to the last page of how all that developed there yet ?

don’t rush ..

don’t worry ,  capfriendly had the same “air gap” this morning.

Edited by SilentSam