(Signing) Canucks sign Vincent Desharnais

Lekkerimaki will get a fair shot but it might be best for him to play a full North American season in the AHL before coming up to adjust. All depends on how he is deployed. Offensive zone face offs with some playoff time and he might do alright with sheltered minutes even now.

• Cheers 1

On 7/15/2024 at 10:36 PM, CanuckMan said:

Lekkerimaki will get a fair shot but it might be best for him to play a full North American season in the AHL before coming up to adjust. All depends on how he is deployed. Offensive zone face offs with some playoff time and he might do alright with sheltered minutes even now.

If he is ready to contribute, and willing to play 200', I have no problem slotting him in this year if he shines; we have looks of good 2 way guys to help him out and cover his gaffs IF he is helping out on the scoring side.

Lekkermaki is a sniper...pure shooter. Other than adjusting to NHL speed and physicality, the craft is the same; pick your spot and let it fly! Though not counting on it, I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing with Debrusk and Petey. 

10 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

If he is ready to contribute, and willing to play 200', I have no problem slotting him in this year if he shines; we have looks of good 2 way guys to help him out and cover his gaffs IF he is helping out on the scoring side.

Lekkermaki is a sniper...pure shooter. Other than adjusting to NHL speed and physicality, the craft is the same; pick your spot and let it fly! Though not counting on it, I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing with Debrusk and Petey

His game and hockey IQ are quite transferable to NHL.  The main thing is physical development to handle rigors of nhl.  Based on amount of forwards we signed suspec Lek will start in AHL

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

His game and hockey IQ are quite transferable to NHL.  The main thing is physical development to handle rigors of nhl.  Based on amount of forwards we signed suspec Lek will start in AHL

Me too, but I would not be suprised. We signed some heavier/grittier types that would pair well with him

1 hour ago, BC_Hawk said:

Me too, but I would not be suprised. We signed some heavier/grittier types that would pair well with him

Petey was incredibly scrawny his rookie season and managed almost a point per game. I doubt Lek is any less physically equipped to handle the NHL than Petey was.

2 hours ago, Strawbone said:

Petey was incredibly scrawny his rookie season and managed almost a point per game. I doubt Lek is any less physically equipped to handle the NHL than Petey was.

Peteys Agility was/is a separating skill even amongst other NHL players I think Lek will need to rely more on explosiveness but the shot and iq are legit.  It would be a massive win if he sticks and could contribute 15-20 goals.

12 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Peteys Agility was/is a separating skill even amongst other NHL players I think Lek will need to rely more on explosiveness but the shot and iq are legit.  It would be a massive win if he sticks and could contribute 15-20 goals.

Lekk added a bit of a nasty streak to his game last season. That will probably require a bit more strength to transfer to the NHL. 
JR has always been a guy to send even higher level players to AHL for seasoning and I doubt Lekk will be different and probably better for it in long run. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

20 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Lekk added a bit of a nasty streak to his game last season. That will probably require a bit more strength to transfer to the NHL. 
JR has always been a guy to send even higher level players to AHL for seasoning and I doubt Lekk will be different and probably better for it in long run. 

Bit of a nasty streak? I love the sounds of that! I was expecting a bit more of a demure Naslund type sniper (which would also be a blessing output-wise).

LW: DeBrusk, Joshua, Heinen, Sherwood

RW: Boeser, Garland, Hoglander, Podkolzin

and some Tocchet favourites like PDG and Aman for 4th line depth.  All of the starting guys are capable of 10-15+ goals (not that they’ll all hit it next year) so if the idea is to just let Lekkerimaki dip his toe in the pool with low expectations, he’s way better off playing a ton in Abby.

IMO that’s where he’ll be most if not all of the year. Look for Bains, Raty, Sasson, Smith to maybe be the younger guys getting a shot.

The biggest key for Lekkerimaki will be having a responsible two way game while also contributing offence. That’s a common theme with this roster and he’ll need to fit in.

It’s not a coincidence our younger yet fairly experienced guys like Hoglander and Podkolzin are still on shaky ground - it takes awhile to find and consistently execute on both.  Not to be a wet blanket about Lekkerimaki… on a positive it think our depth is too much at the moment.

• Cheers 2