(Signing) Canucks sign Vincent Desharnais

39 minutes ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

That's most definitely part of the plan, imo. Rutherford has been talking about freeing up cap space ever since he got here. He's also talked about being able to take advantage of cap crunched teams. It's been their priority since day one.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happens at all. Although I'm more inclined to keep Hoglander and possibly use him at the deadline. His salary is just too good of value. 

Ya, dealing Höglander or not is a tough decision. I love him as a player but he's also easily our best trade chip because his contract is so cheap.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Diamonds said:

Ya, dealing Höglander or not is a tough decision. I love him as a player but he's also easily our best trade chip because his contract is so cheap.

The thing is that we need cheap contracts, we need value contracts considering our cap issues (you know, that dreaded OEL cap hit)

• Like 1

The youth you speak of is coming in the system as well.  

Silovs this year.  

At least Willander next year.  And he should be the puck mover/defensive type like Hronek.  

Plenty of other guys coming.  

On 7/1/2024 at 2:12 PM, Wing said:

Now that I'm seeing the cost of other depth d signings around the league. I think 2M for this guy is a bit of an overpayment. Leafs got Hakanpaa for 1.5Mx2 who's also a big RD defenseman. Is Desharnais 500k better?

Hakanpaa has a degenerative knee condition so surprised he got $1.5M let alone 2 years. Will be interesting to see how many games he even plays.

• Like 1

As far as getting a puck mover for the second pairing goes, I don't see it happening. If the season were to start today, the pairings would probably be:

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Juulsen

Nobody is excited about the prospect of Myers as a #4, but the fact is, of the bottom four defenders, he is the most mobile.

The only other option, (barring a trade, which I don't expect) would be to split up Huggy and Honker. That means that one of Myers or Desharnais would have to play on the top pairing. Again, not something to get excited about, but not out of the realm of possibility either.

If you are going for a top 4 d-man, you are looking for a pick an probably moving on Garland to make cap room.

It had better be one hell of a good d-man if that's the case. Unless it's a team that's loaded with defensive prospects.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If you are going for a top 4 d-man, you are looking for a pick an probably moving on Garland to make cap room.

It had better be one hell of a good d-man if that's the case. Unless it's a team that's loaded with defensive prospects.

They can still do it without a trade with Kylington as a UFA 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

The thing is that we need cheap contracts, we need value contracts considering our cap issues (you know, that dreaded OEL cap hit)

Unfortunately the same time that OEL's penalty peaks is the same time hoglander needs a new deal. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

They can still do it without a trade with Kylington as a UFA 

I dont think Kylington would be considered a top4 defenseman on a decent team

Good third pair guy, though i do like him

best case scenario we move out the poolguy contract, do nothing else, and get to like 10m accumulated cap space by the deadline

then push chips in and add a top-4 defenseman and an elite winger for the playoffs

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

best case scenario we move out the poolguy contract, do nothing else, and get to like 10m accumulated cap space by the deadline

then push chips in and add a top-4 defenseman and an elite winger for the playoffs

Yup. Signing Degarnais and Forbert for 3.5 instead of Big Z and Cole for 8.5 was super smart by our management. IMHAO Cole will be missed more than Big Z. Big D will make gas soon forget Z. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Alflives said:

Yup. Signing Degarnais and Forbert for 3.5 instead of Big Z and Cole for 8.5 was super smart by our management. IMHAO Cole will be missed more than Big Z. Big D will make gas soon forget Z. 

What we can do as the season goes along may depend on how well the young forwards play and who we waive/trade coming out of camp.  

This looms like a year where the 7th and 8th d men will be a fight and that those guys may play a lot.  Desharnais and Forbort may not play every night.  Then Soucy seems to get hurt a little.  And we have something like 6 d men who are close to that 7th and 8th level.  

• ThereItIs 1

On 7/8/2024 at 2:52 PM, spook007 said:

Do we not have a player or two amongst the prospects, that has the potential to be a puck mover?

Not suggesting they are there yet, or ever will get there, but if they are looking for bottom pairing D men at low cost, wouldn't they be just as well trying McWard or Hirose or similar? Wolanin is still there as well....  Personally still just want bottom pairing Dmen that can defend first and foremost...

Still remember 'Hughes replacement" Rathbone, who was great going forward, but couldn't defend a fish supper if his life depended on it...

We have one that has a high chance of being capable of playing that style, and his name is Willander. But he won't be with our team soon enough to be in current discussions. D-Petey will probably play in the NHL, but puck moving isn't his strength. McWard and Hirose have shown promise as fringe NHLers, but neither are that good. Probably the closest thing we have to an appropriate puck-moving lower pairing defender would be either Woo (yet unproven at the NHL level and a slow developer but improving), or Wolanin. Who frankly, I think is getting shafted by this organization and given our current players remaining unchanged to enter the season, I think should be used interchangeably with Forbort depending on whether we need offense or toughness. With that said, I don't see it, as Tocchet has not shown much interest in playing him.

I am also a little concerned that we currently have Myers slotted into the top 4 again, and he isn't as good with that level of workload. Yet, with Deharnais on board, it looks like the right side is set - leaving only the left to be potentially bolstered. 

Therefore, I still think a short-term deal for a reliable and puck-moving LD makes sense. Kylington may be the only remaining UFA for that role, as I was kind of hoping we might snag Ryan Suter who is certainly in his twilight, but is a big body who can still put up SOME points.

I realize there is something to be said about winning through good, hard defense. And from the looks of it, that's the plan. I can't help but think though that the Canucks are limiting their offensive potential by prioritizing size over talent.

1 hour ago, Reznor said:

We have one that has a high chance of being capable of playing that style, and his name is Willander. But he won't be with our team soon enough to be in current discussions. D-Petey will probably play in the NHL, but puck moving isn't his strength. McWard and Hirose have shown promise as fringe NHLers, but neither are that good. Probably the closest thing we have to an appropriate puck-moving lower pairing defender would be either Woo (yet unproven at the NHL level and a slow developer but improving), or Wolanin. Who frankly, I think is getting shafted by this organization and given our current players remaining unchanged to enter the season, I think should be used interchangeably with Forbort depending on whether we need offense or toughness. With that said, I don't see it, as Tocchet has not shown much interest in playing him.

I am also a little concerned that we currently have Myers slotted into the top 4 again, and he isn't as good with that level of workload. Yet, with Deharnais on board, it looks like the right side is set - leaving only the left to be potentially bolstered. 

Therefore, I still think a short-term deal for a reliable and puck-moving LD makes sense. Kylington may be the only remaining UFA for that role, as I was kind of hoping we might snag Ryan Suter who is certainly in his twilight, but is a big body who can still put up SOME points.

I realize there is something to be said about winning through good, hard defense. And from the looks of it, that's the plan. I can't help but think though that the Canucks are limiting their offensive potential by prioritizing size over talent.

Cheers,

Yeah the talk was about the here and now, thus Willander was left out side the debate...

The question really was about, if it would be worth taking on a reclamation project at this stage for the organisation... 

I do get, he would be cheaper than a the fished article, and that we could get lucky with it, but at the same time I feel we need go for it this season...

Next one with the added cap issues, could be a different scenario, but for this season lets not waste that by getting in Pouliot type players, just because they may turn it around.

Hence the question if there was nobody we would be just as well trying out. should we feel the need for a puck mover on the bottom pairing...

I think, they feel Willander will take up the space, and instead of saddling ourselves with contracts, they hold their horses, and see if they can squeeze something out at a later stage... using some banked cap space would be a nice way to afford a 'loan' player for half of this season, and then Willander will take over next season.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, HarbularyBattery said:

I mean as a depth piece not top 4 

23 hours ago, Coryberg said:

Unfortunately the same time that OEL's penalty peaks is the same time hoglander needs a new deal. 

Guess it depends on what he will be asking for at that time right? If he doesn’t even get to 30 goals. Then I can’t really see him asking for the moon kind of thing. 20-25 goals per year? What does that get you? 4M? 

7 minutes ago, CurtFraser24 said:

And 5 years from now, people will compare the stats and say Bouchard had an excellent playoffs than the Norris winner who couldn't handle the hitting and underperformed.

Five years from now, the only thing the majority of people will remember about the 2024 playoffs is that Florida won the cup. Only people dwelling in the past will remember how many points an individual loser got. Even players don't care about their individual accolades if they don't win the cup, as demonstrated by McBaby, and that was immediately after.

• Thanks 1

On 7/10/2024 at 4:37 AM, kettlevalley said:

The youth you speak of is coming in the system as well.  

Silovs this year.  

At least Willander next year.  And he should be the puck mover/defensive type like Hronek.  

Plenty of other guys coming.  

Lekkerimaki has to make the team by next year. I guess not has to but you know what I mean. He should. 

I could see Boeser and Hogs as trade chips this year. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/11/2024 at 7:00 PM, Hammertime said:

Lekkerimaki has to make the team by next year. I guess not has to but you know what I mean. He should. 

I think management will attempt to keep Brock as long as the deal is fair. If not, then yeah, I can definitely see him traded (though I would be sad personally to see him go). Höglander seems to be in trade talks for a while as someone who could be a part of a deal moving forward. His contract is one of value, he's making what? A shade over a million dollars for a guy who produced 24 goals, that's pretty amazing deal. 

On 7/11/2024 at 7:00 PM, Hammertime said:

I'm curious to see Lekkerimäki at Training Camp (main camp), and how he handles the process with all the main guys in camp battling. That'll give a small insight and peek as to how he could possibly handle the season. If he doesn't make it, then I wouldn't fret honestly. He'll have at least another year, to try to make the team. I'll be curious to see how he handles the physicality of NHL games as well, as that tends to be the major separator for most European players coming over. 

50 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

I'm curious to see Lekkerimäki at Training Camp (main camp), and how he handles the process with all the main guys in camp battling. That'll give a small insight and peek as to how he could possibly handle the season. If he doesn't make it, then I wouldn't fret honestly. He'll have at least another year, to try to make the team. I'll be curious to see how he handles the physicality of NHL games as well, as that tends to be the major separator for most European players coming over. 

yes i mean the 2025/26 campaign.