(Signing) Canucks sign Vincent Desharnais

41 minutes ago, nergish said:

Guy's huge, don't recall him being particularly impactful otherwise. 

Keep in mind the guy was drafted in the 7th round and worked his way up to NHL status from the ECHL.

This guy could be the definition of dark horse.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Due to injury or not though? You don’t know

Desharnais wasn't injured, him and Broberg were being switched in n out since the Dallas series. Vinny had a lot of hits and blocked shots but got beat a lot. He is slow. Like all the moves today except this one 

• Cheers 1

I was skeptical about the signing but I think there’s upside here

28 years old

only 2 years in the league

Big RHD

With our coaching staff and the structure they instill, especially Adam Foote, hopefully he finds another level. Look at Myers, we were begging for someone to take him. But with our structure and coaching staff, Myers defended against McDavid for 7 games and held his own.

And let’s be real, 6x5mil for Zadorov, though I love the guy, that would have been a terrible contract.

i have no doubt we’ll add a top 4 dmen mid season 

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Struggled to keep his spot on one of the worst bluelines in the history of the league.  Not optimistic about this one.

I hate the Oilers but that blueline is nowhere near worst in history of the league. Just as an example, look at SJS blueline from last season, and you can't tell me the Oilers are worse than them. Sure the Oilers blueline has its flaws and deficiencies, but calling it the worst in the history is way overblown.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Struggled to keep his spot on one of the worst bluelines in the history of the league.  Not optimistic about this one.

PA talked about how the coaches will need to up the big guys transition game...signed for D prowess and snarl but will need to put the work in to get transition going. 

I feel the overall forward depth should help as well. Five man unit in a system most of the team is now comfortable with.

Some bets made on potential upside no doubt but thankfully no anchor contracts.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

Desharnais was the least of their problems on defence.  Nurse and Ceci were the main contributors to that.  In fariness though, their PK was the #1 PK in the playoffs.  Desharnais is a good penalty killer and so is Forbort...

And the PK, when the game matters is why one wants Dmen that know how to kill and sacrifice. 

The team loaded up with some really decent backend pieces. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, RJCF96 said:

I hate the Oilers but that blueline is nowhere near worst in history of the league. Just as an example, look at SJS blueline from last season, and you can't tell me the Oilers are worse than them. Sure the Oilers blueline has its flaws and deficiencies, but calling it the worst in the history is way overblown.

San Jose was bad, but Edmonton's was still far worse.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, dippitybop said:

I was skeptical about the signing but I think there’s upside here

28 years old

only 2 years in the league

Big RHD

With our coaching staff and the structure they instill, especially Adam Foote, hopefully he finds another level. Look at Myers, we were begging for someone to take him. But with our structure and coaching staff, Myers defended against McDavid for 7 games and held his own.

And let’s be real, 6x5mil for Zadorov, though I love the guy, that would have been a terrible contract.

i have no doubt we’ll add a top 4 dmen mid season 

And that’s the thing. RHD aren’t cheap. 

The team got one to fill a spot. 

Not the best option, but not the worst when Foote and Gonchar coach him. 

• Cheers 1

In 3 years Myers and Forbort will be gone.  This is what I see...

Hughes         Hronek

Pettersson   Willander

Soucy          Desharnais

D-Petey takes over on the left side and Willander is our PMD on the second pairing.  Desharnais is only 28 so is still a part of the future.  And Soucy is 29 so will be a good bottom pairing Dman for several more years.  And we still retain most of the size we have now but add a bonafide PMD in Willander, who could be better than Hronek...

• Cheers 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

San Jose was bad, but Edmonton's was still far worse.

Just now, Sharpshooter said:

And that’s the thing. RHD aren’t cheap. 

The team got one to fill a spot. 

Not the best option, but not the worst when Foote and Gonchar coach him. 

the coaching staff and VD both felt like he had another gear to go. Last year was his first full year in the NHL. 

Could be a Joshua find on D. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Love the size, but honestly, this feels like way too much money. Only two years though, so it won't hurt too much.

Two fer. 

Two spots on the bottom 4, like Zad would have been.

If we retained Zad, then no big bodies on the 3rd line pairing. 

Those guys definitely need work, but it’s a better gamble of cap space. 

3 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Two fer. 

Two spots on the bottom 4, like Zad would have been.

If we retained Zad, then no big bodies on the 3rd line pairing. 

Those guys definitely need work, but it’s a better gamble of cap space. 

Yeah, we did what we could. I feel like Desharnais is more of a $1M player, but maybe I'm underrating him. Maybe him being a RD increases his value.