(Signing) Canucks sign Vincent Desharnais

Will wait to see how he fits in the coaches system. Likely a better option than Julssen, but I'm not certain it's a big upgrade for the extra money. May also limit a last-minute forward addition.

In any event, despite losing big Z, we have a darn big defensive lineup.

4 minutes ago, Wing said:

Now that I'm seeing the cost of other depth d signings around the league. I think 2M for this guy is a bit of an overpayment. Leafs got Hakanpaa for 1.5Mx2 who's also a big RD defenseman. Is Desharnais 500k better?

32 years old vs 28 year old in Desharnais who only has 2 years of NHL under his belt, much higher upside. 

not to mention the extra 3” and I’ve heard 3” is a HUGE difference…

Edited by dippitybop
  • Haha 3
  • Cheers 1

Just now, -AJ- said:

Yeah, we did what we could. I feel like Desharnais is more of a $1M player, but maybe I'm underrating him. Maybe him being a RD increases his value.

He has only played 1 full year and was a part of a Finals run during that year. He is a late bloomer. 

He talked with Foote and both felt he had another gear. If he does take another step he could become a 4/5 D. 

Our Joshua find on D potentially. 2 year gamble. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Wing said:

Now that I'm seeing the cost of other depth d signings around the league. I think 2M for this guy is a bit of an overpayment. Leafs got Hakanpaa for 1.5Mx2 who's also a big RD defenseman. Is Desharnais 500k better?

Size between them both? What were the needs between each team? 

It’s not always same for same for each team. It’s a need. Sometimes one team need’s are bottom 4 and other team’s need a potential top 4. 

Either way. It’s about fit, function and availability. 

Just now, R3aL said:

Well everyone worrying about losing a big nasty blue line doesn’t have to worry anymore but worries about how fast / mobile our back end is outside of Hughes and hronek

This is why I laugh at the overreacting every year. I got thrown the same shit last season for being level headed into FA and we had our best season in over a decade. Still not concerned despite the whining and shit throwing today. 

This is a well balanced lineup and man are Heinen and DeBrusk ever a pain in the dick to play against. Ask Höglander about Forborts battles too. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Yeah, we did what we could. I feel like Desharnais is more of a $1M player, but maybe I'm underrating him. Maybe him being a RD increases his value.

I’ll agree, hypothetically, that’s he’s a $1m AAV player. Sure. 

But, this is July 1st. Pay the premium or get left scrambling for even worse. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This is why I laugh at the overreacting every year. I got thrown the same shit last season for being level headed into FA and we had our best season in over a decade. Still not concerned despite the whining and shit throwing today. 

This is a well balanced lineup and man are Heinen and DeBrusk ever a pain in the dick to play against. Ask Höglander about Forborts battles too. 

Yeah, we have a lot of new grit to replace the old grit. I think people are just scared of change.

• Cheers 1