[Report] Alex Burrows steps away from assistant coach position in Montreal

2 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Yah- comparing Burrows to a guy that likely committed a double murder.

Definitely a 'you' problem.

Have a great day.

I'm out of here.

Defend a douchebag man, it's all good.

Enjoy the day!

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

"Oh wah" To a guy making fun of your brother who struggled with his mental health and killed himself? really? 
"Oh wah" to a guy making fun of a 10 year old kid who got his ass beat by his much older/stronger 30+ year old father? really?
How come not every player that took the ice made those comments? 
To be honest with you.. That speaks more to your character Bob Long than it does Alex Burrows. Straight up gross dude..

"oh wah" at making trash talk a public issue, yes. You could pull out 1/3 of the league for making comments, but the media felt like pulling Burr out as an example.

People say all kinds of crap on the ice. If we're going to start policing that out in the media, out of context, then we're in to silly season.

2 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

In Laval.. Again, same French speaking organization. Had he not been French Canadian does that opportunity present itself? Most likely not. The dude had terrible character. I know he's loved on these message boards/within the fanbase but the guy was a well documented douchebag. I don't see many other organizations fighting each other to bring this guy into their fold.. Vancouver especially. He just never struck me as a guy that would make a great "X's & O's" bench coach. 

Every player/coach has opportunities with their former team or hometown/roots connections.  Nobody was knocking on Rick Tocchet's door before his old bosses in Pittsburgh called him.

Has nothing to do with french speaking organization, has to do with your connections.  Burrows just happen to have french connections.

2 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

In Laval.. Again, same French speaking organization. Had he not been French Canadian does that opportunity present itself? Most likely not. The dude had terrible character. I know he's loved on these message boards/within the fanbase but the guy was a well documented douchebag. I don't see many other organizations fighting each other to bring this guy into their fold.. Vancouver especially. He just never struck me as a guy that would make a great "X's & O's" bench coach. 

this is maybe the worst, most ill-informed take I've ever seen here, and that is a pretty massive castle of dogshit to be the king of. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • Wiener 1

6 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Every player/coach has opportunities with their former team or hometown/roots connections.  Nobody was knocking on Rick Tocchet's door before his old bosses in Pittsburgh called him.

Has nothing to do with french speaking organization, has to do with your connections.  Burrows just happen to have french connections.

in burrows case it actually has to do with wanting to raise his family close to his and his wife's parents. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

burrows job was to be a pest that got the opposition off it's game, and he did whatever it took. 

he's also come out since retirement and said that he regrets it and has apologized. 

It's also a big bag of hypocrisy. Show me one team that didn't trash talk.

• Cheers 2
  • Wiener 1

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

It's also a big bag of hypocrisy. Show me one team that didn't trash talk.

not to mention, do you think the guy in this thread making these accusations wants to have his own character summarized by the worst things he's ever said or done? I somehow doubt it.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1
  • Wiener 1

5 hours ago, Bob Long said:

"oh wah" at making trash talk a public issue, yes. You could pull out 1/3 of the league for making comments, but the media felt like pulling Burr out as an example.

People say all kinds of crap on the ice. If we're going to start policing that out in the media, out of context, then we're in to silly season.

1/3 of the league is probably trash, given the hockey culture and what we know now.  And we don't even know the half of it.  Burrows, if he said those things, was just as trashy as the rest of them.  Kesler was just as bad too...

6 hours ago, Don Brodka Jr said:

Ummmmm.....ring of honor ring a bell?

• Cheers 1

29 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

1/3 of the league is probably trash, given the hockey culture and what we know now.  And we don't even know the half of it.  Burrows, if he said those things, was just as trashy as the rest of them.  Kesler was just as bad too...

Burrows definitely crossed the line a few times in his career and stepped into territory that should be off limits.  Theres trash talk abd then there's what he said.  That said he's expressed regret over those instances and I believe he apologized for them.  People can do things in the heat of the battle that they later regret. While he's no angel (who is) I don't thin its fair to categorize him as a douchebag purely on that basis.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

42 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Which was part of the context at that time. Show me the range of what guys said in those years and then we can have a rational discussion about it.

2 hours ago, Bob Long said:

Which was part of the context at that time. Show me the range of what guys said in those years and then we can have a rational discussion about it.

Pretty sure talking about someone’s brother who had mental health issues and committed suicide would be at the very bottom of the list in terms of trash talking opponents.  Not even sure how that would even be a defensible statement. He apologized for it but it still was pretty bad. 

We don’t know the range as that stuff isn’t public info but I can’t really think of too many things you could say to another player that would be worse than the above statement. 

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Pretty sure talking about someone’s brother who had mental health issues and committed suicide would be at the very bottom of the list in terms of trash talking opponents.  Not even sure how that would even be a defensible statement. He apologized for it but it still was pretty bad. 

We don’t know the range as that stuff isn’t public info but I can’t really think of too many things you could say to another player that would be worse than the above statement. 

Yeah.  I think we can imagine what most smack talk consists of.  What Burrows said crossed the line by a fair margin.  I believe he truly feels bad about it and regrets it.  People make mistakes. Some worse than others. They shouldn't be swept under the rug, but they also shouldn't be held over that person's head for eternity if they've shown remorse and tried to make amends. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Do you really think he knew all the details of players private lives? I don't.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

Do you really think he knew all the details of players private lives? I don't.

Tootoo wrote a book about his private life a year before the incident happened, including about his brother's suicide. So, yes Burrows knew all of the details. 

The penalty box guys even shook their heads in disbelief as to what Burrows said. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/jordin-tootoo-says-alexandre-burrows-made-remarks-about-family-calls-him-classless

“Burrows, when we were in the penalty box, he said some personal remarks regarding my family and it's just unacceptable,” Tootoo told NorthJersey.com’s Tom Gulitti. “The penalty box guys even rolled their eyes like, 'Is this guy really saying this (expletive)?' I don't have any respect for him. I don't need an apology for him or nothing. It's just classless. We're all professionals and everyone fights a fight no one knows about and when you dive into personal issues, it's just classless. To me, that's cowardly.”

https://thehockeynews.com/news/jordin-tootoos-life-in-the-fast-lane-booze-women-hockey

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Tootoo wrote a book about his private life a year before the incident happened, including about his brother's suicide. So, yes Burrows knew all of the details. 

The penalty box guys even shook their heads in disbelief as to what Burrows said. 

https://thehockeynews.com/news/jordin-tootoo-says-alexandre-burrows-made-remarks-about-family-calls-him-classless

“Burrows, when we were in the penalty box, he said some personal remarks regarding my family and it's just unacceptable,” Tootoo told NorthJersey.com’s Tom Gulitti. “The penalty box guys even rolled their eyes like, 'Is this guy really saying this (expletive)?' I don't have any respect for him. I don't need an apology for him or nothing. It's just classless. We're all professionals and everyone fights a fight no one knows about and when you dive into personal issues, it's just classless. To me, that's cowardly.”

https://thehockeynews.com/news/jordin-tootoos-life-in-the-fast-lane-booze-women-hockey

And burr denied it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wiener 1

Burrows I'm sure said a lot of things that are regrettable to everyone involved. But who hasn't said something stupid? It's not to excuse him, but it's more important to see someone change from their past. Is anyone not allowed to make personal mistakes anymore? I understand the importance of cancel culture because it is both good and bad. It's good because there's accountability and some semblance of closure. On the other hand, it's bad because it could also be a smear campaign.

Burrows needed to apologize to the victims involved and do more to prove that he is remorseful. The people bitching about what he did can monitor Burrows' sincerity, but ultimately, people need to move on.

• Upvote 1
  • Wiener 1