Vincent Desharnais | #73 | RD

Jess

Only 1 full season in the NHL and was a part of a finals run. 

PA said he talked with Foote who both felt like he had another step to go. 

Late bloomer. If the coaches can get him to take another step then he could be a Joshua find on D. Potentially a 4/5D. 

• Like 2

Quick Research notes:

- No offense--expect 10-15 points in a full season

- Ice time suggests he's probably a #6 D

- Despite being 28, he only recently made it full time to the NHL and has just 114 career games

- Very close to the same size as Myers--one inch shorter and a few pounds lighter

- Hits a lot

- Reasonably proficient shot blocker

- Bad giveaway-takeaway ratio, even for a defenseman

- Takes a lot more penalties than he draws, though this is somewhat expected for a big stay-at-home guy

- Fights frequently, five NHL fights in just 114 games

- A staple on the 2nd unit PK for the Oilers with reasonably solid results

- No PP time

- Decent puck possession numbers at 51.3% Corsi with 49.8% OZ%

This guy is pure defense and size. Very simple game as far as I can tell and a bit of a throwback to old time hockey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Quick Research notes:

- No offense--expect 10-15 points in a full season

- Ice time suggests he's probably a #6 D

- Despite being 28, he only recently made it full time to the NHL and has just 114 career games

- Very close to the same size as Myers--one inch shorter and a few pounds lighter

- Hits a lot

- Reasonably proficient shot blocker

- Bad giveaway-takeaway ratio, even for a defenseman

- Takes a lot more penalties than he draws, though this is somewhat expected for a big stay-at-home guy

- Fights frequently, five NHL fights in just 114 games

- A staple on the 2nd unit PK for the Oilers with reasonably solid results

- No PP time

- Decent puck possession numbers at 51.3% Corsi with 49.8% OZ%

This guy is pure defense and size. Very simple game as far as I can tell and a bit of a throwback to old time hockey.

So like a Dana Murzyn type?  I'm OK with that.  GCG!

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

I've seen quite a few comments regarding his skating.  According to this report, his skating has improved

more recently.

Scouting Report:     https://sportsforecaster.com/nhl/p/20628/Vincent_Desharnais

"The massive shutdown defenseman has no hesitation about hitting opponents, especially if it means giving his goaltender a better look at incoming shots. His punishing style makes life uncomfortable for opposing forwards. Improved skating has made him a useful penalty killer who can play a lot of minutes, despite not contributing a lot offensively.

Long Range Potential: Huge defensive defenseman."

Scouting Report:   https://www.capfriendly.com/scouting-reports/report/vincent-desharnais-5969

"Big body defender who earned the trust of the Oilers coaching staff in (22/23)
Dressed for 36 regular season games - averaged 13:32 TOI at ES and PK.
Physical presence. Average plus skater for NHL - Same for puck skill / execution
Hockey sense to keep things simple when required - no frills - finishes his checks / blocks shots / uses his length and long reach to his advantage - Dressed for all Oilers playoff games - same role as regular season - A bottom pairing 'Defensive D' - Monitor hard match-ups on the road when opponents have last change - better suited vs bottom six forwards".

This is a good signing for the Nucks.  He brings the kind of game that they have been missing over the years.

He will be a solid 3rd pairing d, who can also help out on the PK. while adding a physical presence around the net.

After seeing what the coaching team has done for Zad, Myers and Juulsen, I'm all on board for Sharny.

• Like 2

He was a significant contributor to the EDM PK that was lights out in the playoffs.  That size and reach made a big difference.  He's not soft at all either.  He plays a rough and tumble game.

Oilers fans are sad about losing him.  One fan said he's not looking forward to "Vinny" bowling over Oilers next year.

• Like 1

He definitely seems like the bargain bin Zadorov. Hopefully his game can take another step with Foote and Gonchar! Would be awesome if he can challenge Soucy for the 2nd pairing role.

I doubt Desharnais got to $2M AAV without other suitors. Don't mind the signing in a vacuum but the team needs another puck moving D.

Zadorov combined his size and physical play with consistent puck moving ability in the playoffs but the team will need to find some other combination.

I'm curious if there will be any attempt to play Desharnais with Hughes.

10 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

My son, the Oiler fan, was sorry to see Vinny leave. He knows his hockey and says Vinny's game improved thru the season. 

I heard the same from another Oiler fan friend. Said there were notable improvements throughout the year.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I heard the same from another Oiler fan friend. Said there were notable improvements throughout the year.

Like not being paired with Nurse. Thats a huge upgrade right there. 

• ThereItIs 2

I see him as a 6 d-man (who sometimes gets subbed out)

Good on the PK gives him a good way to get extra minutes.

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

My son, the Oiler fan, was sorry to see Vinny leave. He knows his hockey and says Vinny's game improved thru the season. 

I'm sorry for your loss. 

• Haha 4

Seems like a good guy....watched a funny video of him getting his head shaved for charity and he was very chill about it all and didn't seem one bit concerned when the guy completely wreck him with a head shaver.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Diamonds said:

He definitely seems like the bargain bin Zadorov. Hopefully his game can take another step with Foote and Gonchar! Would be awesome if he can challenge Soucy for the 2nd pairing role.

Soucy was out with injuries throughout half the season, so it was difficult to get into the daily hockey regime.

We got a chance to see him at his best in the playoffs and he was very impressive.

A healthy Soucy, in the coming season, will be a huge bonus for the team, just like he was in Seattle. He is

an established 2nd pairing dman.

Sharny is coming off a career season, so hopefully the coaching staff can squeeze a little more out of his

game. As a right D, he will be challenging Myers, who played his best hockey since Winnipeg last season.

If Tyler continues to play like that, Sharny will stay as the 3rd LD, which is the best scenario for our

team.

• Cheers 2

19 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

image.gif.7d7094e344746bb1ad0b558fe0764d32.gif

It's my fault. He was a Gretzky kid so I bought him a jersey when I was at a Canucks game. He never got over the love. Actually went to the U of A. Now my grandson is also a Oiler fan. At least he smiles and winks support for my Canucks.

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I'm curious if there will be any attempt to play Desharnais with Hughes.

I would give it a shot, really think team needs to split Hronek and Hughes up to spread out the offensive play making D on our team

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1