[Season 2] GFL 2024-25 (NJD Available!)

Gator

10 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Funny enough I was looking for him yesterday and saw he was an RFA in Anaheim too after searching each team. I nearly messaged an agent but was going to wait a bit longer to see if he was going UFA or what.okce insane he was on a team. He wasn't on any agent list, so I'd be surprised if he was a UFA as well.

Ya I’m just waiting on the trade to be official by @Gator and find out what agent I need to contact to sign Texier…

he has always been listed in Anaheim as rfa and I just traded for him so @Gator can clear this up!

22 minutes ago, Viking said:

I don’t think that’s possible is it? I just traded for his rights from Anaheim…

15 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

Funny enough I was looking for him yesterday and saw he was an RFA in Anaheim too after searching each team. I nearly messaged an agent but was going to wait a bit longer to see if he was going UFA or what.okce insane he was on a team. He wasn't on any agent list, so I'd be surprised if he was a UFA as well.

Anaheim did not qualify Texier and this would result in him becoming a UFA. Anaheim could not trade his rights as they no longer owned his rights.
We will ask @Gator to make a ruling on this one.

Edited by Rick Blight

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Anaheim did not qualify Texier and this would result in him becoming a UFA. Anaheim could not trade his rights as they no longer owned his rights.

When is the deadline to qualify an RFA? Must have missed that on the CBA when I looked. So I figured it was December 15th like in the NHL

2 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

When is the deadline to qualify an RFA? Must have missed that on the CBA when I looked. So I figured it was December 15th like in the NHL

You only have the right to match offer letters or sign the player up until that time IF you qualified the player prior to July 1st. If an RFA does not receive a contract offer by July 1st they become a UFA and the team loses all rights to that player. (IRL)

15 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

Well I think me trading for him should be allowed as he was always listed as an RFA for Anaheim.

it always would cause issue with the trade, hopefully Gator does the right thing 

3 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

You only have the right to match offer letters or sign the player up until that time IF you qualified the player prior to July 1st. If an RFA does not receive a contract offer by July 1st they become a UFA and the team loses all rights to that player. (IRL)

Well because nobody caught that and changed it he should still be Anaheim and now Tampa Bay property.

cant blame us GMs for not knowing that when he has always been listed as Anaheim property

12 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

I feel he should have been a UFA and had an agent, but I get It's still a learning curve. But I feel the RFA thing needs to be better monitored if we, as a league, aren't going to be made aware when I player went unqualified.

Mine RFA is still this.Screenshot_20241005-111028.thumb.png.f5b60d7662d18eb4e4e418e51cde0f3b.png

An assortment of retired player, players I signed waiver and were claimed, UFAs I let walk. The RFA thing is definitely not clear and I 100% we have pursued Tex, and clearly viking did since he traded for him.

Edited by MeanSeanBean

15 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I feel he should have been a UFA and had an agent, but I get It's still a learning curve. But I feel the RFA thing needs to be better monitored if we, as a league, aren't going to be made aware when I player went unqualified.

Mine RFA is still this.Screenshot_20241005-111028.thumb.png.f5b60d7662d18eb4e4e418e51cde0f3b.png

An assortment of retired player, players I signed waiver and were claimed, UFAs I let walk. The RFA thing is definitely not clear and I 100% we have pursued Tex, and clearly viking did since he traded for him.

The pending free agency list was provided to each team's GM to remind them of their players that would become RFA's/UFA's on July 1st if not signed to a contract or a qualifying offer for RFA's only. It is not there as part of a team roster and available for trade although that could have been done prior to July 1st.

If Texier was not moved to the Agent UFA listing I am sure it was an oversight and we will leave it up to @Gator to make a ruling if the signing is to be voided and all parties are open to bidding on his services.

Edited by Rick Blight

Seeing the above scenario, I won't be surprised if this is a common occurrence with the trade block. Anytime things need to be manually removed, it's likely to be missed/forgotten. So good chance of getting messages about players you had on the block and traded.

There's a more automated trade block function on Fantrax, and I can confirm from years on CDC Puck that GM's don't maintain this over the long run.

49 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

This is in the CBA for next year and something similar was there for last year. (Provided on page 1 of this thread under IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER)

Deadline to qualify/sign pending RFAs - June 30, 2025 @ 11:59pm

Edited by Rick Blight

See how it plays out but if I don’t end up getting Tex, will leave a very sour feeling for me and this league.

we had a 2month freeze, team pages never got updated…so if a player is listed on a team like Anaheim as an RFA then that should be honoured imo.

things get missed, it takes a lot to run the league but these things need to be more clear and changed when these deadlines pass. I would’ve signed Texier a long time ago if I knew he was a UFA, as other GMs might’ve also…

Waiting on the Commish to make decision

7 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

This is in the CBA for next year and something similar was there for last year.

That’s great, but when a player is still on a team as an RFA in October…it was clearly missed and player should still be property of Anaheim in this case.

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

That’s great, but when a player is still on a team as an RFA in October…it was clearly missed and player should still be property of Anaheim in this case.

He is not still on a team as he is not on the NHL roster, AHL roster or Unsigned prospects......those are the only players available for trade. The list where you see Texier is an info list only.

If Anaheim did not sign or qualify him prior to July 1st, 2024 they forfeited all rights to that player.

• Like 1

Boston-Bruins-Logo-Desktop-Wallpapers.thumb.png.abb12053fc94dc09403bf2866219706a.png

Boston Bruins Opening Night Lineup 

Dylan Cozens - Will Smith - Anthony Mantha

Matthew Knies - Josh Norris - Max Domi

Will Cuylle - Andreas Athenaseu - Daniel Sprong

Kailer Yamamoto - Ryan Poehling - Jesse Puljujarvi

Max Jones

Thomas Harley - Rasmus Dahlin 

Jakob Chychrun - Jake McCabe 

Dylan Samberg - Timothy Liljegren 

Lian Bichsel

Mackenzie Blackwood 

Arvid Soderblom

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

This is in the CBA for next year and something similar was there for last year. (Provided on page 1 of this thread under IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER)

This. I am not a decider, but I have an opinion for every occasion, this one is a two parter:

Opinion 1) The player in question was not qualified and therefore was a UFA, so any trade involving that player would have to be rolled back or not approved by the league.

Opinion 2) All the lists of UFA's provided are intended to be aids to the GM's in making their decisions and seeing who is available. As with every other keeper league, the onus to find and sign talent is on the GM to do the research.

Lists are nice, but subject to mistakes, additions, deletions and of course very subject to the timeliness of the updates.  While the lists are a fantastic resource, at the end of the day, if a GM finds a player who has no contract, in every other league I am aware of, that GM can make that player an offer.
(EDIT: even if a player is qualified, any GM can make that player an offer, it is called an offer sheet and has other rules involved like a transfer of picks)

If there was a free agent signing, and the player was a free agent: I think that should stand. It is a rare thing for sure, and for a one off problem like this to occur is certainly not game breaking.

We are used to "Player One is going to phase 2 of free agency" notices, but they have always been a convenience in order to ensure that good players are not signed for league minimum by sharper GM's with more free time than others, the phases have never been a hard rule, nor has listing an official Free Agent before that player is allowed to sign somewhere. Considering we are in October and the season has started: if a free agent was signed by a GM, even if other GM's didn't know he was a free agent, it is no real big deal to allow that signing and move on.

I am 100% certain that next year we will approach and conclude 99% of free agency in the month of July as the NHL does, so this won't really be an issue going forward, but a good learning opportunity right now for why free agency shouldn't be done in late September and into October. 

hehe, longwinded rant aside, this is all just my opinion. No offense to any of the parties involved. 

12 minutes ago, Optimist Prime said:

This. I am not a decider, but I have an opinion for every occasion, this one is a two parter:

Opinion 1) The player in question was not qualified and therefore was a UFA, so any trade involving that player would have to be rolled back or not approved by the league.

Opinion 2) All the lists of UFA's provided are intended to be aids to the GM's in making their decisions and seeing who is available. As with every other keeper league, the onus to find and sign talent is on the GM to do the research.

Lists are nice, but subject to mistakes, additions, deletions and of course very subject to the timeliness of the updates.  While the lists are a fantastic resource, at the end of the day, if a GM finds a player who has no contract, in every other league I am aware of, that GM can make that player an offer. If there was a free agent signing, and the player was a free agent: I think that should stand. It is a rare thing for sure, and for a one off problem like this to occur is certainly not game breaking.

We are used to "Player One is going to phase 2 of free agency" notices, but they have always been a convenience in order to ensure that good players are not signed for league minimum by sharper GM's with more free time than others, the phases have never been a hard rule, nor has listing an official Free Agent before that player is allowed to sign somewhere. Considering we are in October and the season has started: if a free agent was signed by a GM, even if other GM's didn't know he was a free agent, it is no real big deal to allow that signing and move on.

I am 100% certain that next year we will approach and conclude 99% of free agency in the month of July as the NHL does, so this won't really be an issue going forward, but a good learning opportunity right now for why free agency shouldn't be done in late September and into October. 

hehe, longwinded rant aside, this is all just my opinion. No offense to any of the parties involved. 

This is how I look at it. I get that it's lists for aids, but the RFA list has been so neglected that it's difficult to know whats going on. Then the agent list has been pretty comprehensive. Yesterday, something reminded me of this player, probably Reddit or something, when I had free time. I searched the agent list and didn't see him then through every team for Tex (I was unlucky and started at the back and worked my way forward) till I found him on the ducks. Given a 25 year old that got 30 points was left unsigned for the entire summer then signed for half his contract, it seems pretty clear he was an oversight.

I'm more just adding my insight since tons of players were given tons of notice early in the summer that they may sign for under league average. So this player slipping through the cracks seemed like an oversight and something that should be avoided for clarify going forward. Even if the list of unqualified RFAs were announced once it would have been enough, even if he didn't make it on the agent list like he should have (maybe they were and I missed it?)

For example, Alex Vlasic originally went unqualified and was on the original list of RFAs who became UFAs so I reached out. It was later decided he should have been qualified but a vacant GM was to blame and was, so that's all good. But just shows that other RFAs in qualified were becoming UFAs with agents.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • ThereItIs 1

22 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

He is not still on a team as he is not on the NHL roster, AHL roster or Unsigned prospects......those are the only players available for trade. The list where you see Texier is an info list only.

If Anaheim did not sign or qualify him prior to July 1st, 2024 they forfeited all rights to that player.

Then why on October 5th 2024 is he still showing up as Anaheim property.

That is a huge blunder imo...Doesn't help the league went on freeze for 2 months either.

During my trade negotiations with Anaheim I asked the GM @NM777 if he still had Texier's rights and he said yes, as it showed up that way on the team spreadsheet. You can't blame him or anyone like myself thinking he was still Anaheim property....

1 minute ago, Viking said:

That is a huge blunder imo...Doesn't help the league went on freeze for 2 months either.

During my trade negotiations with Anaheim I asked the GM @NM777 if he still had Texier's rights and he said yes, as it showed up that way on the team spreadsheet. You can't blame him or anyone like myself thinking he was still Anaheim property....

The act of qualifying a player is the GM's sole responsibility though, if the GM can show when he qualified the player, that is a different story, but just citing inaccurate record keeping of his failure to qualify the player should not now mean that he qualified him. See what I am saying? It is unfortunate, totally. An oversight, apparently so, but at the end of the day the GM never qualified him and so he doesn't have his rights. Disappointing, for sure.

1 hour ago, Viking said:

I don’t think that’s possible is it? I just traded for his rights from Anaheim…

1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

texier showed up to me as a qualified RFA

2 minutes ago, Viking said:

He is not showing as Anaheim property. Anaheim's property is those listed on the active roster, AHL roster or unsigned prospects.......nothing more.

4 minutes ago, Viking said: