[Season 2] GFL 2024-25 (SEA & NJD Available!)

Gator

On 8/26/2024 at 10:22 AM, Gator said:

@NMHockey been a while since I heard from you on here or discord. Hope everything is good man. Hope to hear from you before the freeze ends. If not we may have to seek a replacement GM after the freeze as ANA needs a bit of work before the season begins.

Also we may be in need of a temp GM for SEA for the 2nd wave of FA. If there are any EASTERN GM's out there willing to take on the role please lmk, and if they have no GM by then you'll be able to make some needed short term deals for them to help them fill out roster and remain competitive as we search for a new GM.

Sorry work has been busy! 

Could you please DM me on what I need to do? And yes I'm interested in taking over SEA for now.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, NMHockey said:

Sorry work has been busy! 

Could you please DM me on what I need to do? And yes I'm interested in taking over SEA for now.

All good!.. Real life always comes first lol.. Don't have to do anything now. Currently in a freeze until September 15th. Thats when the 2nd wave of free agency begins and you have a lot of spots to fill lol.

I'll be seeking a GM from the East to make a few signings for them if needed. Appreciate you offering though!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MeanSeanBean said:

@Gator

Noticed on page 1 I still have penalties that I shouldn't have. Seemed like you agreed when I mentioned that a ways back. Just mentioning that again 

We all start at level 5.. I did that because I made it so you get -1 or -3 points if you're able to finish top 10 in a particular month (can't go negative). So by starting everyone at 5, if they finish 2nd in a month and get -1 penalty point they go from level 5 to level 4 (improving morale), instead of 0 to 0 (making no change to morale).

Hope that makes sense.

Edited by Gator

3 hours ago, Gator said:

We all start at level 5.. I did that because I made it so you get -1 or -3 points if you're able to finish top 10 in a particular month (can't go negative). So by starting everyone at 5, if they finish 2nd in a month and get -1 penalty point they go from level 5 to level 4 (improving morale), instead of 0 to 0 (making no change to morale).

Hope that makes sense.

So the penalties on the 2nd post around Armia and Tippett don't matter? Only bringing it up because neither were UFAs I signed like the post says. If it doesn't matter, then it's all good.

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

So the penalties on the 2nd post around Armia and Tippett don't matter? Only bringing it up because neither were UFAs I signed like the post says. If it doesn't matter, then it's all good.

Yea I removed the penalties and reset you back to 5

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Gator said:

Yea I removed the penalties and reset you back to 5

Can you reset the penalties again so im not in a massive hole... haha, I had to ask!

SO any plyaer traded with a NTC or NMC gets penalized eh...won't be handing those out like candy on Halloween, more - comiong my way after 1 or 2 more trades that get done eventually, hopefully that is!

Live and learn, but whatever these points do are going to mess up my team

40 minutes ago, Viking said:

where are all the GFL rules etc again, not on page one in this thread

The CBA on page 1 is the governing document for the league's operation.

There will be supplemental information made in the Discord channel "League News" from time to time to remind GM's of dates that must be adhered to, remind GM's of some processes, etc.

Edited by Rick Blight
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Viking said:

Thanks Rick, must'v missed the link on page 1 will check again

It is covered in the 1st post after the list of teams and GM's. Looks like this....

Posted July 1 (edited)

2024-25 GFL CBA

Section 1: Scoring Structure

Reveal hidden contents

Section 2: Roster Guidelines

Reveal hidden contents
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Viking said:

Can you reset the penalties again so im not in a massive hole... haha, I had to ask!

SO any plyaer traded with a NTC or NMC gets penalized eh...won't be handing those out like candy on Halloween, more - comiong my way after 1 or 2 more trades that get done eventually, hopefully that is!

Live and learn, but whatever these points do are going to mess up my team

It'll just make it harder to sign UFAs, and your RFAs likely won't be interested in long term Extensions if your too low.

You can earn your way back up with success. -1 point if you finish 2-9 in any given month. -3 points if you're the top team in a month. Plus making the playoff and winning a round is -1 point each.. Win the GFL finals your number gets reset to 0 before the summer morale lock regardless of how high it was.. Were all getting accustomed to this. I mat have made the formula, but it's still new to me too. Just try to not let it get too out of hand. Unless you think it's going to win you the championship.

Your penalty points reset every year as well, and you're assigned a certain penalty level depending on how you finished the season prior. You can have 50 or 100 points by the end of this season, but when next year rolls around you'll have that same # regardless. Just depends how you finished this season standings/playoff success wise

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Gator said:

It'll just make it harder to sign UFAs, and your RFAs likely won't be interested in long term Extensions if your too low.

You can earn your way back up with success. -1 point if you finish 2-9 in any given month. -3 points if you're the top team in a month. Plus making the playoff and winning a round is -1 point each.. Win the GFL finals your number gets reset to 0 before the summer morale lock regardless of how high it was.. Were all getting accustomed to this. I mat have made the formula, but it's still new to me too. Just try to not let it get too out of hand. Unless you think it's going to win you the championship.

Your penalty points reset every year as well, and you're assigned a certain penalty level depending on how you finished the season prior. You can have 50 or 100 points by the end of this season, but when next year rolls around you'll have that same # regardless. Just depends how you finished this season standings/playoff success wise

Okay, just trying to trade some players with NTC and NMC clauses to shake up the team and plan for the future. made mistakes already but kind of sucks to get penalized to move players I inherited on current deals but thats how the league is and I am learning as we go. 

But yes, 1-3 more players with trade protection likely being dealt from my team and unsure if interested GMs will wait till the NO Penalty time 1 month prior to TDL. I could wait and find out or make moves and risk losing any upcoming UFA or RFAs...BUT only affects me for June/July of 2025 players needing extensions? I may move out a player with trade protection to give a younger player who will be a pending RFA or UFA a more prominent role so that should be a positive no!?

1 hour ago, Viking said:

Okay, just trying to trade some players with NTC and NMC clauses to shake up the team and plan for the future. made mistakes already but kind of sucks to get penalized to move players I inherited on current deals but thats how the league is and I am learning as we go. 

But yes, 1-3 more players with trade protection likely being dealt from my team and unsure if interested GMs will wait till the NO Penalty time 1 month prior to TDL. I could wait and find out or make moves and risk losing any upcoming UFA or RFAs...BUT only affects me for June/July of 2025 players needing extensions? I may move out a player with trade protection to give a younger player who will be a pending RFA or UFA a more prominent role so that should be a positive no!?

Don't forget you still maintain control over your pending RFA's. Basically, you will only lose them if a GM offer sheets them and you choose not to match the offer and take the compensation instead. Be mindful of the players that will become RFA's at the end of the season and make sure you have cap for those you want to re-sign.

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Viking said:

I may move out a player with trade protection to give a younger player who will be a pending RFA or UFA a more prominent role so that should be a positive no!?

Moving out a NTC is a very minor penalty (1 point) unless they have been recently signed by you as was the case in the Pesce deal (extra 5pts because he was extended as a pending UFA less than 90 days prior to deal). NMC is 3pts. 

Sure there will be logic in every roster move that may make sense, but at the end of the day the rule is in place for a reason, which is to make GMs think twice about moving out those contracts. There's many ways to negate the effect of penalties especially if you're not making a habit of moving too many clauses amd or trading away recently signed UFAs.

As for being a new GM revamping your team I get that.. Like I said penalties reset to a default amount every year no matter how many you rack up each season. Your looking to tear down a team that just made the finals and make it your own. Of course the teams morale is going to plummet. To me that just shows the system is working as intended. 

Hope I'm not coming off ass an A-hole. I want people to have some push back and point out things/add suggestions. I may not always agree, but the more input given will only help better they system as we move forward. I just don't see a reason to tamper with the current penalty system.. I feel it's been working as intended.. I have been shopping guys with clauses behind the scenes.. I mean we're all going to make these moves, and playing by the same rules. I just wouldn't recommend doing too many of them unless you think it's going to win you the championship

Suggestion since we're on the topic of penalties and clauses:

- If you want to trade a player to a team not on the trade list, you can do so but the penalty will be tripled.

Could add an element of strategy so teams can decide if the penalty is worth it, while allowing the move to allow for more trade activity.

Edited by Master Mind
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 8/29/2024 at 4:08 PM, Gator said:

Moving out a NTC is a very minor penalty (1 point) unless they have been recently signed by you as was the case in the Pesce deal (extra 5pts because he was extended as a pending UFA less than 90 days prior to deal). NMC is 3pts. 

Sure there will be logic in every roster move that may make sense, but at the end of the day the rule is in place for a reason, which is to make GMs think twice about moving out those contracts. There's many ways to negate the effect of penalties especially if you're not making a habit of moving too many clauses amd or trading away recently signed UFAs.

As for being a new GM revamping your team I get that.. Like I said penalties reset to a default amount every year no matter how many you rack up each season. Your looking to tear down a team that just made the finals and make it your own. Of course the teams morale is going to plummet. To me that just shows the system is working as intended. 

Hope I'm not coming off ass an A-hole. I want people to have some push back and point out things/add suggestions. I may not always agree, but the more input given will only help better they system as we move forward. I just don't see a reason to tamper with the current penalty system.. I feel it's been working as intended.. I have been shopping guys with clauses behind the scenes.. I mean we're all going to make these moves, and playing by the same rules. I just wouldn't recommend doing too many of them unless you think it's going to win you the championship

I get that and it all makes sense. as for my team almost winning, it came close and I have no idea how to win in these leagues as I am new. The team was stripped bear of draft picks, like insanley depleted so I am trying to move out players to recoup some picks and get younger and out from some NMC/NTC contracts I am not a fan of.

I guess my team will suffer this year, going forward I think I will avoid giving out NTC/NMC...lesson learned and honestly never thought I was signing T. Wilson for instance as I am pretty sure another GM said they had given him more $ yet I won the bid, anyways mistakes were made terribly by me...

Here is one for you Gator, what if I trade back for a player I moved that got me penalty points like Pesce...would points be removed if i re acquired him?

9 hours ago, Viking said:

I get that and it all makes sense. as for my team almost winning, it came close and I have no idea how to win in these leagues as I am new. The team was stripped bear of draft picks, like insanley depleted so I am trying to move out players to recoup some picks and get younger and out from some NMC/NTC contracts I am not a fan of.

I guess my team will suffer this year, going forward I think I will avoid giving out NTC/NMC...lesson learned and honestly never thought I was signing T. Wilson for instance as I am pretty sure another GM said they had given him more $ yet I won the bid, anyways mistakes were made terribly by me...

Here is one for you Gator, what if I trade back for a player I moved that got me penalty points like Pesce...would points be removed if i re acquired him?

Pretty sure that isn't a thing, hehe. However take note it is an incredibly steep learning curve and going forward you will have a better idea of what not to do. I joined the GML over a dozen years ago on my first team there, and made a TONNE of mistakes. I traded Leon Draisatl for a star player about to retire in a year or two, for instance, and regretted it ever since. 

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, Viking said:

Unfortunately no.. To be fair you did make the trade and in the trade call asked me to do a favor and not dish out the penalty points because you're new lol.. What you should have done was ask me about it prior to making the trade then make your decision based on my answer. I am very flexible with new GMs (where I can be), but doing favors like that isn't good for the league. If I give you slack here, I gotta cut someone slack there, and then the whole system becomes flawed. It's a new system for all of us, not just new GMs, so we're all adapting. 

I'm very open to making changes, but not based on early panic. It is a new system, and I'm not blind to the fact some things will need to be ironed out. There's a 95%+ chance the system will see some minor-major changes in each offseason over the next few years, but wouldn't expect anything to change until the offseason.

As for Wilson talks, you did offer less,  but it wasn't THAT much less, and you're a team coming off a 2nd place finish vs a bottom feeding team. You also had the better trade protection offered, and I believe more term (but can't remember that).. that was a very tough choice for sure, but feel I ultimately made the best decision for the player.. In future I highly suggest pulling out of offers in the future if you don't want a player. Also wouldn't recommend talking to competition about dollars being offered on free agents in midst of negotiations lol.

On 8/29/2024 at 9:05 PM, Master Mind said:

Suggestion since we're on the topic of penalties and clauses:

- If you want to trade a player to a team not on the trade list, you can do so but the penalty will be tripled.

Could add an element of strategy so teams can decide if the penalty is worth it, while allowing the move to allow for more trade activity.

Ngl I do like the idea, or atleast the concept, and it might be something to consider in the offseason.

I do want to stress that the next set of lists will feel more realistic as the current completely random lists. Going forward lists will be determined using the team morale system. It will be still randomized, but only between select teams that have a high enough team morale.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gator said:

Roster moves cannot be made until the 15th 

I requested this before freeze. It was never processed.

I will bump the request on the 15th tho. No biggy.

Edited by Rush

36 minutes ago, Rush said:

I requested this before freeze. It was never processed.

I will bump the request on the 15th tho. No biggy.

I must have missed the move. I'll have a look in a bit and fix it

On 7/2/2024 at 6:23 AM, Rush said:

Detroit Red Wings Al The Octopus Inflatable Mascot

DETROIT 2024-25 RED WINGS

Andrei Svechnikov - Tim Stützle - Alex Debrincat

Pierre Engvall - Nick Schmaltz - Dylan Guenther

Zach Benson - Jake Evans - Ivan Miroshnichenko

Oliver Wahlstrom - Juuso Parssinen - Josh Anderson

Need 1 F

Vince Dunn - Jamie Drysdale
Jonas Brodin - Philip Broberg
Nick Perbix - Calen Addison
Erik Brannstrom

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

John Gibson (Available via trade)

The Red Wings are open to making roster improvements but we plan on letting the kids play this season. If Levshunov signs IRL we will bring him in too. 

Players available from DET

John Gibson

Jonas Brodin

Jake Evans

Josh Anderson

Nick Schmaltz

With respect, this is the closest you came to recalling Levshunov before the freeze. I checked all 20ish posts in the thread by you since signing him. ; )
I know it is a totally moot point as he can be recalled on the 15th, but didn't want ill will laying around about a fantom missed transaction.

On 7/2/2024 at 6:23 AM, Rush said:

Detroit Red Wings Al The Octopus Inflatable Mascot

DETROIT 2024-25 RED WINGS

Andrei Svechnikov - Tim Stützle - Alex Debrincat

Pierre Engvall - Nick Schmaltz - Dylan Guenther

Zach Benson - Jake Evans - Ivan Miroshnichenko

Oliver Wahlstrom - Juuso Parssinen - Josh Anderson

Need 1 F

Vince Dunn - Jamie Drysdale
Jonas Brodin - Philip Broberg
Nick Perbix - Calen Addison
Erik Brannstrom

Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen

John Gibson (Available via trade)

The Red Wings are open to making roster improvements but we plan on letting the kids play this season. If Levshunov signs IRL we will bring him in too. 

Players available from DET

John Gibson

Jonas Brodin

Jake Evans

Josh Anderson

Nick Schmaltz

I must have remembered it differently.  Like I said tho its no big deal. I will re-request it on or after the 15th. It isn't a pressing matter by any means. I may have even made the request then edited my post. I honestly cannot recall. I swore I tried to recall him tho. 

Edited by Rush
  • Cheers 1