[Signing] Hakanpaa to Toronto

22 minutes ago, Grandmaster said:

Who is better? This guy or Desharnais?

Desharnais is a lot meaner, and his PK ability gives him the edge IMO.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Grandmaster said:

Who is better? This guy or Desharnais?

With Desharnais in the line up guys like Miller and Joshua won't have to be the ones to handle any of the dirty work/fighting that might come up during games.. defending cheap shots etc.. Although.. Desharnais and Joshua might go at it during practice given their history but he's a very tough dude. I like the signing. Adds more value then Hakanpaa

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

35 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

When healthy, I like this guy over Desharnais. But that's a bit in the air.

I take Desharnais.  He's 28yo so has some runway to still improve.

Hakanpaa isn't gonna get any better.  WYSIWYG. 

55 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I take Desharnais.  He's 28yo so has some runway to still improve.

Hakanpaa isn't gonna get any better.  WYSIWYG. 

Pretty sure they're both pretty set in stone. Lol. But yeah. Personally lean towards Hakanpaa, to each their own.

10 minutes ago, JeremyCuddles said:

Pretty sure they're both pretty set in stone. Lol. But yeah. Personally lean towards Hakanpaa, to each their own.

Disagree.  Desharnais JUST turned 28 a bit over a month ago.  He was 27yo this past season.  Plenty of runway to improve.  Hakanpaa is 32yo.  Has been since March.  A 4 year difference is a lot.

43 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Disagree.  Desharnais JUST turned 28 a bit over a month ago.  He was 27yo this past season.  Plenty of runway to improve.  Hakanpaa is 32yo.  Has been since March.  A 4 year difference is a lot.

Too much emphasis is put into age with defenseman. It seems they tend to get better with age to an extent until after 35 of course but hakenpaa is damaged goods. If he comes back he won't last. Vincent has an excellent opportunity with our coaching staff and he's going to be a beast/fan favorite by the end of the season. It's just a matter of time

On 7/1/2024 at 4:28 PM, King Heffy said:

Looks like the mess Dubas created is getting cleaned up a little.  Now they just need to find a way to get rid of Rielly and they might actually be ok.

Rielly and Tanev were lights out for team Canada paired together. Was a good while ago but still your take on Rielly has never been completely accurate 😄 

On 7/1/2024 at 10:14 PM, Don Brodka Jr said:

With Desharnais in the line up guys like Miller and Joshua won't have to be the ones to handle any of the dirty work/fighting that might come up during games.. defending cheap shots etc.. Although.. Desharnais and Joshua might go at it during practice given their history but he's a very tough dude. I like the signing. Adds more value then Hakanpaa

These guys drop them a couple times a year.   Once maybe twice maybe 3 times.   Not exactly deadly force.   Just the best of what is left. 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Didn’t pass his physical? 

I am not too sure what exactly is going on or the hold up is. 

But me personally, player having to pass the physical shouldn't be a criteria for UFA/RFA signings. Teams must be willing to take the risk knowing prior history of the player. 

Passing the physical should be just for the players involved in the trade. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, Scott72 said:

I am not too sure what exactly is going on or the hold up is. 

But me personally, player having to pass the physical shouldn't be a criteria for UFA/RFA signings. Teams must be willing to take the risk knowing prior history of the player. 

Passing the physical should be just for the players involved in the trade. 

And there was talk the Leafs’ doctors said Hakanpaa was healthy. Still doesn’t explain the delay though. Unless the Leafs are now trying to get out of the contract?