Mass Shootings/Guns Thread

Sharpshooter

4 hours ago, Satchmo said:

Suspect in Maine mass shootings is dead, sources tell CNN

From CNN's John Miller, Evan Perez and Josh Campbell

Robert Card, the suspect in the Lewiston, Maine, shooting rampage, is dead from an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound to the head, multiple sources tell CNN.

Card was found in the woods near Lisbon, which is about eight miles from Lewiston, the same three sources said. He was found in an area near the recycling center from which he had been recently fired, a law enforcement source told CNN’s John Miller.

Police have been searching for Card since the shootings on Wednesday evening.

A news conference will be held at 10 p.m. ET.

Not surprised. I had a feeling he'd want to go out on his own terms and not face the consequences of his actions.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I think killing your self is a a rather large consequence.

Saves money on a trial, maybe they can use those savings to do something about gun safety, or mental health initiatives

Yet gun sales increased in Maine during this episode. America's answer is buy more guns. Or, in Hannity's case defend yourself with martial arts. lol! Those Fox News guys don't know when to stop.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

6 minutes ago, Johngould21 said:

Yet gun sales increased in Maine during this episode. America's answer is buy more guns. Or, in Hannity's case defend yourself with martial arts. lol! Those Fox News guys don't know when to stop.

I'd like to see a police/crime investigation report that states just how many of the people shot, were packing their own weapons.

With all those people, there had to be victims that had their own weapons.

so, just how many of those people managed to do anything with their gun, to protect themselves, during the chaos?

did the percentage of people carrying their own weapons and got shot, differ from the percentage that were unarmed, and got shot?

Really drill down, as to whether having your  gun is statistically better- or not.

I'm thinking it didn't help to be armed, at all.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, Gurn said:

I think killing your self is a a rather large consequence.

Saves money on a trial, maybe they can use those savings to do something about gun safety, or mental health initiatives

The problem is, it also makes it easier for politicians to say "problem solved" and move on...

They know it will soon be forgotten by everyone who wasn't personally affected....until the next one....

1 hour ago, Johngould21 said:

Hannity loves to brag about his MMA background.....:classic_rolleyes:

Personally, I'd love to see him goes up against an AR and see how well his spinning backfist fares....

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

The problem is, it also makes it easier for politicians to say "problem solved" and move on...

They know it will soon be forgotten by everyone who wasn't personally affected....until the next one....

Hannity loves to brag about his MMA background.....:classic_rolleyes:

Personally, I'd love to see him goes up against an AR and see how well his spinning backfist fares....

Unless you're Chuck Norris, no human is going to fare well against an assault rifle.

1 minute ago, Johngould21 said:

Unless you're Chuck Norris, no human is going to fare well against an assault rifle.

Oh, I think Chuck would probably struggle as well....

If I have to go into a dark alley with a bunch of gang members in it and my choice of companions is either Chuck Norris, or Billy Bob armed with a fully loaded AR, I'm taking Billy Bob every time....

1 minute ago, RupertKBD said:

Oh, I think Chuck would probably struggle as well....

If I have to go into a dark alley with a bunch of gang members in it and my choice of companions is either Chuck Norris, or Billy Bob armed with a fully loaded AR, I'm taking Billy Bob every time....

Therein lies the problem, far too many Billy Bob's and assault rifles in good ole America. IDK, I still like Chuck's chances...😉

17 minutes ago, Alflives said:

This person, Boebert, is a friggin’ idiot. She actually said the Jesus thing? So stupid. The sad part is there are way too many people in the USA who believe this nonsense. 

it always been easier to believe than think. Even more so when you know its BS and just say stuff. 

We're in the golden age of bullshit my friend. A majority of us no longer cares about facts or expertise, it's the feels. 

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 hour ago, 4petesake said:

Time flies but stupid is forever.

IMG_9670.jpeg

I will make it clear that I am NOT defending a bimbo but she is not wrong (other than her opinion on last line).  https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/03/europe/copenhagen-mall-shooting-intl/index.html

Is there something more to the twitter stream? I realize she is an easy target for her massive stupidity but why chase stupid with more stupid. This screenshot by itself is non-sensical.

39 minutes ago, Shift-4 said:

I will make it clear that I am NOT defending a bimbo but she is not wrong (other than her opinion on last line).  https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/03/europe/copenhagen-mall-shooting-intl/index.html

Is there something more to the twitter stream? I realize she is an easy target for her massive stupidity but why chase stupid with more stupid. This screenshot by itself is non-sensical.

What is she right about?

She uses every mass shooting to promote buying more guns. 

She has said she’s disappointed Americans don’t own more guns.

Her twitter stream is a litany of stupid. 

IMG_9667.jpeg

• Upvote 1

Woo woo.  Let's go out to the club.

In Canada, if a fight breaks out no big deal.

Meanwhile Florida:

https://apnews.com/article/deadly-shooting-tampa-florida-ybor-city-6791b6cf9c4165b9f287b6126732f257

Shooting kills 2 and injures 18 victims in Florida street with hundreds of people nearby

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

Woo woo.  Let's go out to the club.

In Canada, if a fight breaks out no big deal.

Meanwhile Florida:

https://apnews.com/article/deadly-shooting-tampa-florida-ybor-city-6791b6cf9c4165b9f287b6126732f257

Shooting kills 2 and injures 18 victims in Florida street with hundreds of people nearby

If only those hundreds of people had been armed maybe they could have stopped the bad guys?

Is that how this works?  I can't remember.

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

If only those hundreds of people had been armed maybe they could have stopped the bad guys?

Is that how this works?  I can't remember.

A bunch of drunk people shooting at a bunch of drunk people.  I'm sure nothing bad can happen.  /s

Man, I'd hate to be a cop responding to that, trying to determine who were the bad guys and who were the good guys.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, the destroyer of worlds said:

A bunch of drunk people shooting at a bunch of drunk people.  I'm sure nothing bad can happen.  /s

Man, I'd hate to be a cop responding to that, trying to determine who were the bad guys and who were the good guys.

That's just it.  The fallacy of the good guy with a gun argument or that more guns can help stop gun violence.

Imagine if any of these hundreds of people had in fact been armed and taken to that mantra.  Scared people with guns in a panic situation randomly firing at anything they deem a threat

Ya....just wait.  

Sadly we already know exactly what the lines will be from the usual suspects.  These were criminals doing criminal things and you can't keep criminals away from guns because criminals don't own or buy legal guns and we need to further clamp down on the criminals.

meanwhile in Maine.  We are saddened by what happened but we couldn't anticipate it and his political leanings mean nothing and he was just a good one that went off the rails pushed by societies need to make him feel bad for being a white male who like women and restricting his access to guns wouldn't have stopped anything 

Blah blah blah.

It's just so sad that we're now so immune to stories like these every single day that we're not even shocked or saddened by them anymore.  We just take note of the body count and decide whether or not it is worthy of talking about

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Something I read months ago in the NYT popped into my mind this morning and I thought it worth sharing.  Below are the first three paragraphs and a link to the paywalled article.

When It Comes to Guns, Ducks and Geese Are Treated Better Than Kids and Teachers

By Dan Ashe

Mr. Ashe was the director of the United States Fish and Wildlife Service from February 2011 to January 2017.

In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, commercial hunting was devastating populations of ducks, geese and other water birds. In response, Congress passed the Migratory Bird Treaty Act in 1918, granting the United States Fish and Wildlife Service authority to regulate the killing of migratory birds nationwide. Now waterfowl are thriving in North America, an exception to the general global trend in the decline of birds and other wildlife populations.

One of the earliest waterfowl protection regulations put in place by the Fish and Wildlife Service restricts the firearms that hunters can use by limiting how many shells a hunter’s shotgun may hold. People hunting ducks, geese, doves or other migratory birds anywhere in the United States cannot use a shotgun that is capable of shooting more than three times without reloading. They also cannot use shotguns larger than 10 gauge in order to prevent situations where one blast might kill several birds in a flock. These regulations have been in place since the 1930s, and have driven the manufacture and availability of hunting shotguns.

Gun controls have been part of waterfowl management for nearly a century, with relatively little controversy even today, and have worked to protect populations of ducks and other migratory birds. There are no semiautomatic assault weapon equivalents for hunting migratory birds, because their use is prohibited. But those weapons, as we have seen in so many mass shootings, at schools and elsewhere, are otherwise widely available.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/21/opinion/gun-control-hunting.html

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'll preface this by pointing out that this is an opinion piece, but it makes some interesting points, not the least of which is that the current gun culture in the US is actually a fairly recent development:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/27/opinions/opinion-america-once-valued-life-more-than-guns-how-did-that-change/index.html

I've seen mods ask that we refrain from posting long articles in their entirety, so I'm posting the link. However, I did want to highlight one point:

What changed? The short answer is President Ronald Reagan, whose crisp, Cold War thinking reduced domestic policy to a series of simple choices. Good and evil. Light and darkness. Arm the righteous, he promised, and crime will take care of itself. It was a “nasty truth,” he said, but criminals were not fazed by gun laws. The answer was to make firepower accessible to the good people: the silent majority who sustain the nation. The good guys, who never miss.

Edited by RupertKBD
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RupertKBD said:

I'll preface this by pointing out that this is an opinion piece, but it makes some interesting points, not the least of which is that the current gun culture in the US is actually a fairly recent development:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/27/opinions/opinion-america-once-valued-life-more-than-guns-how-did-that-change/index.html

I've seen mods ask that we refrain from posting long articles in their entirety, so I'm posting the link. However, I did want to highlight one point:

The US is such an odd country. It celebrates a b movie actor who had awful and simplistic ideas, and a man with real integrity and service dedication like Carter is pretty much an afterthought.

• Cheers 2

34 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

The US is such an odd country. It celebrates a b movie actor who had awful and simplistic ideas, and a man with real integrity and service dedication like Carter is pretty much an afterthought.

The Peanut farmer was the best.

He's referenced in a good Clutch song. 

It talks of many things ( even hockey) that were going on in America during 1976.

Spirit of 76.

(some lyrics)

The Flyers beat the Reds fair and square
While up the coast some fled the devil's lair
An heiress was into her irons thrown
While the family feuds exploded in our homes
Moon collapsed in the garden
Vikings looted the plains
Spirit of '76
We were such a tender age
The Mohican swore he would get organised
To clean the war forever from his mind
A farmer came with peanuts in his hand
Then wept a bit while waltzing to the band

(Some meanings)

The Philadelphia Flyers beat the touring Soviet Red Army team

Family Feud premiered in July 1976 on ABC

Keith Moon collapsed in Madison Square Garden

The Minnesota Vikings won the NFC central division but lost Super Bowl XI (actually in 1977)

The Mohican refers to Robert Deniro's character in Taxi Driver who sported a mohawk

The peanut farmer Jimmy Carter won the presidential election

The Band (associated with Bob Dylan) stopped touring and two years later concert film The Last Waltz was released

• Vintage 1

16 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

The Peanut farmer was the best.

He's referenced in a good Clutch song. 

It talks of many things ( even hockey) that were going on in America during 1976.

Spirit of 76.

(some lyrics)

The Flyers beat the Reds fair and square
While up the coast some fled the devil's lair
An heiress was into her irons thrown
While the family feuds exploded in our homes
Moon collapsed in the garden
Vikings looted the plains
Spirit of '76
We were such a tender age
The Mohican swore he would get organised
To clean the war forever from his mind
A farmer came with peanuts in his hand
Then wept a bit while waltzing to the band

(Some meanings)

The Philadelphia Flyers beat the touring Soviet Red Army team

Family Feud premiered in July 1976 on ABC

Keith Moon collapsed in Madison Square Garden

The Minnesota Vikings won the NFC central division but lost Super Bowl XI (actually in 1977)

The Mohican refers to Robert Deniro's character in Taxi Driver who sported a mohawk

The peanut farmer Jimmy Carter won the presidential election

The Band (associated with Bob Dylan) stopped touring and two years later concert film The Last Waltz was released

Carter also did religion correctly imo. Yes it was his thing, but you'd never know it. Unlike the combative in your face crap from political evangelism.

• ThereItIs 1

I've ben avoiding the news, for a few days; and almost missed this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/4th-winnipeg-mass-shooting-victim-has-died/vi-AA1kDB3I?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=a2c59e11e4ca452ba8064a148bf0bdb7&ei=88

Video at link 

A fourth person has died after Sunday's mass shooting in Winnipeg. Police have released the victims' identities, but say they do not have a suspect yet.