[Tentative] Skinner to Edmonton

4 minutes ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

Can't lie, Edmonton's made some smart moves here. 

Wouldn't be surprised if it's a tight, two-horse race for the division between the Canucks and the Oilers this upcoming season. 

I thought so at first glance, but hold your horses for a sec

Edmonton is now 2.5 million over the cap with 22/23 roster spots filled

And they've done nothing to address their goaltending

Assuming their RFAs come in close to league minimum, theyll be around 3.5 million over the cap with 23/23 roster spots filled

They have very few choices to get cap compliant

1. convince E Kane to waive his NMC

2. Trade Ceci (who tf is going to want that useless bag of trash)

3. Trade Kulak + run with a 22 man roster

Option 1 means they havent really improved at all. In fact they were probably better with Kane than they will be with Skinner. Kane is a human turd but he also plays hard, forechecks, is a proven playoff performer, and has great hands. 

Option 2 or 3 means they end up with one of Stetcher or Broberg in their starting lineup. One injury and their D is the thinnest in the league. 

9 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Assuming their RFAs come in close to league minimum, theyll be around 3.5 million over the cap with 23/23 roster spots filled

Option 1 means they havent really improved at all. In fact they were probably better with Kane than they will be with Skinner. Kane is a human turd but he also plays hard, forechecks, is a proven playoff performer, and has great hands. 

Option 2 or 3 means they end up with one of Stetcher or Broberg in their starting lineup. One injury and their D is the thinnest in the league. 

Edmonton is much better than they were last year (didn't get worse anywhere and added some great depth wingers and are deep at centre too) when they beat us.

We are definitely different, as we got a better top 6 forward, a better 4th line, and more defensive depth (bottom pairing/7th d-men). However, we also got worse on the 2nd pair (especially for the playoffs, as we lost our most impactful d-man from last year's playoffs), and we lost our elite 3rd line center who was great utility everywhere (PP, PK, faceoffs, defense, and even some offense).

I think we're better than opening night last year, but worse than we were in the playoffs.  

15 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

I think Edmonton is happy with Stuart Skinner as their starting goalie. There's even discussion that Skinner might represent Canada for the 2026 Olympic Games given his age. 

Just now, iinatcc said:

I think Edmonton is happy with Stuart Skinner as their starting goalie. There's even discussion that Skinner might represent Canada for the 2026 Olympic Games given his age. 

Yeah, he was garbage against us, but actually did pretty well against everyone else.

2 minutes ago, c00kies said:

Edmonton is much better than they were last year (didn't get worse anywhere and added some great depth wingers and are deep at centre too) when they beat us.

We are definitely different, as we got a better top 6 forward, a better 4th line, and more defensive depth (bottom pairing/7th d-men). However, we also got worse on the 2nd pair (especially for the playoffs, as we lost our most impactful d-man from last year's playoffs), and we lost our elite 3rd line center who was great utility everywhere (PP, PK, faceoffs, defense, and even some offense).

I think we're better than opening night last year, but worse than we were in the playoffs.  

They're better than last year if the salary cap doesnt exist

The salary cap exists, they're now way over, and will have to lose either a defenseman or probably Evander Kane. 

They need to find 3.5 million dollars in cap space now to be compliant next year, in all likelihood thats Kane. 

If i were edmonton, Id take Kane over Arvidsson+Skinner 

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Theyre not winning with Stuart skinner as their starter, sorry.

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Theyre not winning with Stuart skinner as their starter, sorry.

If Darcy Kuemper can win a cup for his team having average stats, so can Skinner.

Edited by iinatcc

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

If Darcy Kuemper can win a cup for his team having average stats, so can Skinner.

Darcy Kuemper in his prime was better than Stu Skinner

image.thumb.png.b7a10d3b6c7c6579dc82be50992b01e2.png

Obviously Kuemper has now begun his decline

2021-2022 Colorado also had a far superior D than Edmonton

Makar, Toews, Girard, Johnson, Byram, Manson >>>>>>> Nurse, Ekholm, Bouchard, Ceci, Kulak, Desharnais

3 minutes ago, HarbularyBattery said:

Darcy Kuemper in his prime was better than Stu Skinner

image.thumb.png.b7a10d3b6c7c6579dc82be50992b01e2.png

Obviously Kuemper has now begun his decline

2021-2022 Colorado also had a far superior D than Edmonton

Makar, Toews, Girard, Johnson, Byram, Manson >>>>>>> Nurse, Ekholm, Bouchard, Ceci, Kulak, Desharnais

Well I was speaking about his cup winning year. That's the performance that got his team to a cup and not the years prior 

Skinner was just one win from winning a cup. If he gets only a little better he could win one for his team.

Plus if there's already conversation that he could represent Canada for the Olympics (guys from Sportsnet 650) it means he's already one of the top Canadian goalies right now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well I was speaking about his cup winning year. That's the performance that got his team to a cup and not the years prior 

Skinner was just one win from winning a cup. If he gets only a little better he could win one for his team.

Plus if there's already conversation that he could represent Canada for the Olympics (guys from Sportsnet 650) it means he's already one of the top Canadian goalies right now.

I dunno. They're leaning super hard into the "outscore our problems" philosophy.

And Skinner may have just been one win away from winning a cup, but he was also 1 goal away from losing in the 2nd round. So it cuts both ways. 

Edmonton will do well again next year, but i also think their team defense covered up a bunch of their own defensive problems, and i dont think they'll be so lucky again. Especially given the fact that their D may have to take another step back to get cap compliant.

Edited by HarbularyBattery