The 2024-25 Canucks

KesLord

On 7/31/2024 at 10:44 AM, R3aL said:

I have been thinking bout the roster a lot and its fair to say we are going to see many lineup combos this season.

I am most curious what duos are the most consistent throughout the year though when it is all said and done.

Miller-Boeser is expected 

Petey-???

Joshua-Garland

I think many are expecting us to start the season with 14 forwards to make sure podz and aman dont get waiver claimed with some sort of build like this:

Heinen-Miller-Boeser 

Debrusk-Petey-Hoglander/Sprong

Joshua-Blueger/Suter-Garland 

Hoglander/Sherwood-Suter/Blueger-Sherwood/Sprong

Extras Podz,Aman 

I am very curious if we start the year with Suter or Blueger with Joshua Garland and I am expecting it to be Suter. As when they started the year last year together they looked very good. And that was just the start of Garland an Joshua developing chemistry together and learning Tocs system. If Suter wasn't required on the wing in the top 6 I think it would have stuck longer. 

And I like the idea of Blueger working with a combo of sherwood / Hoglander / Sprong. I could see them being able to chip in on the score board much more regularly than a league average 4th line. While being super annoying to play against. Especially Hoglander-Blueger-Sherwood.

-

But there is lots of speculation that Debrusk could actually be a perfect match to play with Miller and I would be lying if I said I wasn't curious what that would look like.

I also cant help but think

- Heinen is our Mikehyev replacement. Except he will be more consistent, has a better shot, will actually be used as a pker and should be better overall than what we got out of Mikehyev.

- Sprong, could be a kuzmenko replacement. Except he has the year one Kuz money, can speak English, is familiar with Top and knows what he wants to improve on and has a more proven track record in the NHL as an even strength scorer. Also will shoot the puck more and plays with more pace. 

Management and coaching thought Mikehyev-Petey-Kuzmenko was a line that should have worked on paper.

IS there a world we see: Heinen-Petey-Sprong and it clicks as good as or better than that line had before at its strongest stretches together?

I do think Sprong could flourish with Petey though as he does think the game offensively at a high level, plays with pace and does have a lethal shot.

If we load the top line have a super reliable third line with Joshua-Suter-Garland that we feel comfortable deploying like a second line and a fourth line that is more like a 3rd line, could Petey get deployed in a very sneaky way with Sprong and Heinen where they could really feast on certain matchups / offensive zone starts?

Debrusk-Miller-Boeser

Heinen-Petey-Sprong

Joshua-Suter-Garland

Hoglander-Blueger-Sherwood

-

I wouldn't be shocked if we see that lineup at times or for stretches this season.

But I do think the winger battle for top 6 minutes for Heinen/Hoglander/Sherwood/Sprong will be very good this season.

And the battle for PP2 time for: Suter/Heinen/Sprong/Sherwood/Garland/Joshua/Sherwood/Hoglander will also be very interesting. 

Suter is the only real PP2 C option, Heinen/Sprong/Sherwood are the best shooters to choose from, Joshua is Joshua and would be the best net front option, and Garland well is Garland and probably a lock.

I see Hoglander on the outside looking in again and Sprong probably being the guy but Alvin did talk about Sherwood on PP2 when he signed him so will be interesting.

-

PP1:

Miller

Petey

Boeser

Debrusk

Hughes

PP2

Suter

Garland

Joshua

Sprong 

Hronek

I sadly also do not see podkolzin beating anyone out of a starting spot in camp unless there is an injury, but who knows!

Camp is going to be great.

This lineup has the talent to win the cup and compete with the Oilers.  The most talented lineup we can currently dress includes Lekkerimaki and D Petey. 

Forwards

DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki 

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Blueger - Joshua 

Hoglander - Suter - Sherwood

Defence

Hughes - Desharnais 

D Petey - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

1 hour ago, Pure961089 said:

This lineup has the talent to win the cup and compete with the Oilers.  The most talented lineup we can currently dress includes Lekkerimaki and D Petey. 

Forwards

DeBrusk - Petey - Lekkerimaki 

Heinen - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Suter - Sherwood

Defence

Hughes - Desharnais 

D Petey - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

That’s a wild take but happy to be proven wrong 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Which team got the best bang for their buck? The Capitals picking Cristall 40th overall in the 2nd round or the the Canucks picking Romani 162 overall in the 6th round?

I know it's insane but their sophomore seasons are comparable.  Cristall vs Romani is a thing.

Both are projects that need to develop the defensive side to their games and neither are speedsters, both need to get bigger and faster.  That being said I'll just leave this here.  

Screenshot_20240812-165140.png

Screenshot_20240812-165157.png

On 7/1/2024 at 10:03 PM, KesLord said:

I believe the start of our 2024-25 roster is much stronger than the start of the 2023-24 roster, which was dominant.

Projected Lineup (based on plugging in to last years lineup)

Suter - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Pettersson - Debrusk

Heinen - Aman - Sherwood

Hughes - Hronek

Soucy - Myers

Forbort - Desharnais

Demko

Silovs 

however, I’m curious if they completely alter stuff around. I would love to see 2 dominant top lines of:

Debrusk - Miller - Boeser

Garland - Petey - Joshua

Hoglander - Suter - Heinen

Sherwood - Blueger - Podkolzin

Id love Pod to move up the lineup tho and hopefully solidify a top 6 spot by the end of the season.

QHs Hronek

Cole Juulsen

Soucy Myers

Extras: Brisbois, Irwin, McWard

Versus:

QHs Hronek

Soucy Myers 

Forbort   Desharnais 

Extras:  Brisbois, Juulsen, McWard

Ian Cole is the obvious omission.  > then Forbet.  Desharnais versus Juulsen is a bit of a conumdrum.   Like others, am a little nervous about how Tocchet will balance out the minutes..:will he break up the QHs pairing and if so who plays with QHs?    And who plays with Myers?   Maybe Brisbois if he's healthy.   Personally think this roster stacks up pretty good come playoff time, regular season?  Would have to give it to the 2023-2024 for the D.   Hope i'm wrong! 

Edited by IBatch

On 7/21/2024 at 4:09 PM, ErnieVan said:

I think there are a lot of UFAs like Sprong who will take a contact to prove to the league and hopefully sign a better one next year.  I'd like to see the Canucks sign Justin Schultz for under $2 mil or less and give us more depth on defense.  If say Soucy gets hurt (which he does) Schultz can carry the load.

He's not aging well.   Defense has always been a bit of struggle for him.   Yes he saved PIT, one of their back to back cups when Letang was injured, but was in his prime then.  He's also a RHD, and that was his career moment for sure.  So would be a Desharnais option which isn't the worst idea in the world.  Last year was -23 for SEA, playing third pairing minutes 16:28.   He's 33, and hasn't played second pairing minutes in three seasons now.    Bet we could get him for cheap indeed.  As for Sprong your correct he's going to a bigger pay day, as are Desharnais, Forbort, Heiden and Sherwood ... that should really help the team  with some internal competition, Hogs and Podz one of them is going to likely go (unless they push a vet out).  Sprong is a unique case in he almost certainly could have got 2.3-3 times for a one year deal somewhere else.  Nobody else did that on our roster, not even close.    Really see that if Tochett can fix him, he's looking at a massive payday.   Shultz signing for the league min would maybe  be a comp for Sprong and his expected 3.5-4 million on year value, and admit the experts weren't talking his D side nearly serious enough.  But bet a lot of folks would say "hey that's a great deal" for Sprong at anything under 2million  .   . 

Edited by IBatch

I assume we let Suter walk after his contract.  So doesn't really matter if we pad his stats playing with Miller.  My guess is that we see different players with Miller and Boeser every time the line slows down.  Heinen, Suter, Debrusk, Sprong, Hogs, Pods, even PDG.  In pre-season I would like to see Alriksson there.  

I think this year one of the keys to forward growth is getting Pods to take off the training wheels and be the aggressive puck separator and play driver we want him to be.  I see Pods ideally as a dump it in, punish them and take it back winger.  If we can do that Petey could really use that winger.  Petey is awesome at finishing play reversals.  

It was about as good of a year as Patrik Allvin could have hoped for.
Nearly everything broke right for his Vancouver Canucks team. He was the runner-up for the NHL’s GM of the Year Award. His club finished first in their division for the first time since 2013. The fanbase is confident in the team’s management group for the first time in years.

It’s been a good year for Patrik Allvin and the Canucks, and the GM sounds determined to make next year even better.
In a recent interview with Swedish outlet hockeysverige.se, Allvin dished on a number of Canucks-related topics.
First, Allvin talked about his GM of the Year nomination.
“Of course, I was happy. It’s the league’s other general managers who vote. I believe all individual awards come when the team is doing well. It’s the team’s results that drive individuals. I’m glad to be part of the team. The players, coaches, and my staff have made it possible for me to be nominated… It was certainly a great honour to be nominated for such a prestigious award, especially considering the other candidates who were also nominated.”

Allvin was then asked what the most important areas to address when he took over the Canucks were. A loaded question, and one with many good answers to choose from! But according to Allvin, there were two that stood out, and neither had much to do with roster construction, although he has excelled in that area since taking the job.
“That’s a good question… There were two things. One was to establish a structure for the organization off the ice—how we would work and what type of players we would bring into the team. The other was also to get coaches in place who could execute the style of play we wanted in both the NHL and AHL.”
Allvin added that he feels very welcome and immediately respected and accepted as the first Swedish GM in the NHL, and gave credit to Vancouver’s strong Swedish culture and previous players paving the way for respect towards Swedes. Allvin was then asked about the future within the Canucks organization for two of the Swedes he’s talking about: Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

Allvin then reflected on the success of his club in 2023-24, and the support they got from the fans and the city.
“I think we managed to establish a style of play that we believe in. We succeeded in developing our game throughout the season. We also managed to develop individuals, constantly improving and taking steps forward. It didn’t quite go all the way. I believe the players who have been part of this journey want more and are preparing themselves very well this summer to come back in a few weeks and start again. For us, it’s just a matter of looking forward, continuing to develop our game, and pushing the players and the team to take the next step. The league is extremely competitive, so we can’t just rely on what we did last season. We constantly need to look ahead and try to improve, or else other teams will catch up.

On Lekkerimäki:
“It’s going to be exciting. Jonathan was here and showed what he could do in the farm team during the spring. He did very well. I hope he got an understanding of what is required on smaller rinks. It will be interesting to see him at camp when everything kicks off. After that, it’s up to him where he will end up, but we are very happy to have Jonathan here and to continue working with him. He is a very talented player. We need to respect his age and experience as well, so there’s no rush—when he is physically and mentally ready, Jonathan will show where he wants to be.”

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

17 hours ago, IBatch said:

QHs Hronek

Cole Juulsen

Soucy Myers

Extras: Brisbois, Irwin, McWard

Versus:

QHs Hronek

Soucy Myers 

Forbort   Desharnais 

Extras:  Brisbois, Juulsen, McWard

Ian Cole is the obvious omission.  > then Forbet.  Desharnais versus Juulsen is a bit of a conumdrum.   Like others, am a little nervous about how Tocchet will balance out the minutes..:will he break up the QHs pairing and if so who plays with QHs?    And who plays with Myers?   Maybe Brisbois if he's healthy.   Personally think this roster stacks up pretty good come playoff time, regular season?  Would have to give it to the 2023-2024 for the D.   Hope i'm wrong! 

I think the reason they let Zadorov go is they're confident D-Petey can step in next year and take that #5 spot.  They haven't changed anything on the right side, Willander is a year away. Has Juulsen made big enough strides in his development to get that #6 spot?, maybe get paired with Quinn again?  He needs to play with a puck mover and I don't think Desharnais will cut it, but I don't think the defense is as dire as the sports media here make it out to be. 

6 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I think the reason they let Zadorov go is they're confident D-Petey can step in next year and take that #5 spot.  They haven't changed anything on the right side, Willander is a year away. Has Juulsen made big enough strides in his development to get that #6 spot?, maybe get paired with Quinn again?  He needs to play with a puck mover and I don't think Desharnais will cut it, but I don't think the defense is as dire as the sports media here make it out to be. 

The reason Lindholm and Zads are gone is Boston overpaid. It's a simple as that. 

The cost of keeping them was not worth it. I would have liked both to have stayed, but they went for the money. 

• Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

5 hours ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It was about as good of a year as Patrik Allvin could have hoped for.
Nearly everything broke right for his Vancouver Canucks team. He was the runner-up for the NHL’s GM of the Year Award. His club finished first in their division for the first time since 2013. The fanbase is confident in the team’s management group for the first time in years.

It’s been a good year for Patrik Allvin and the Canucks, and the GM sounds determined to make next year even better.
In a recent interview with Swedish outlet hockeysverige.se, Allvin dished on a number of Canucks-related topics.
First, Allvin talked about his GM of the Year nomination.
“Of course, I was happy. It’s the league’s other general managers who vote. I believe all individual awards come when the team is doing well. It’s the team’s results that drive individuals. I’m glad to be part of the team. The players, coaches, and my staff have made it possible for me to be nominated… It was certainly a great honour to be nominated for such a prestigious award, especially considering the other candidates who were also nominated.”

Allvin was then asked what the most important areas to address when he took over the Canucks were. A loaded question, and one with many good answers to choose from! But according to Allvin, there were two that stood out, and neither had much to do with roster construction, although he has excelled in that area since taking the job.
“That’s a good question… There were two things. One was to establish a structure for the organization off the ice—how we would work and what type of players we would bring into the team. The other was also to get coaches in place who could execute the style of play we wanted in both the NHL and AHL.”
Allvin added that he feels very welcome and immediately respected and accepted as the first Swedish GM in the NHL, and gave credit to Vancouver’s strong Swedish culture and previous players paving the way for respect towards Swedes. Allvin was then asked about the future within the Canucks organization for two of the Swedes he’s talking about: Daniel and Henrik Sedin.

Allvin then reflected on the success of his club in 2023-24, and the support they got from the fans and the city.
“I think we managed to establish a style of play that we believe in. We succeeded in developing our game throughout the season. We also managed to develop individuals, constantly improving and taking steps forward. It didn’t quite go all the way. I believe the players who have been part of this journey want more and are preparing themselves very well this summer to come back in a few weeks and start again. For us, it’s just a matter of looking forward, continuing to develop our game, and pushing the players and the team to take the next step. The league is extremely competitive, so we can’t just rely on what we did last season. We constantly need to look ahead and try to improve, or else other teams will catch up.

On Lekkerimäki:
“It’s going to be exciting. Jonathan was here and showed what he could do in the farm team during the spring. He did very well. I hope he got an understanding of what is required on smaller rinks. It will be interesting to see him at camp when everything kicks off. After that, it’s up to him where he will end up, but we are very happy to have Jonathan here and to continue working with him. He is a very talented player. We need to respect his age and experience as well, so there’s no rush—when he is physically and mentally ready, Jonathan will show where he wants to be.”

Those first 2 steps Alvin took were the most important. Setting a standard and culture in the dressing room and the only way they could do that is by changing the personal. Not just adding development staff but they had to turn the page on the old guard and letting the young core take a leadership role.  

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, kettlevalley said:

I assume we let Suter walk after his contract.  So doesn't really matter if we pad his stats playing with Miller.  My guess is that we see different players with Miller and Boeser every time the line slows down.  Heinen, Suter, Debrusk, Sprong, Hogs, Pods, even PDG.  In pre-season I would like to see Alriksson there.  

I think this year one of the keys to forward growth is getting Pods to take off the training wheels and be the aggressive puck separator and play driver we want him to be.  I see Pods ideally as a dump it in, punish them and take it back winger.  If we can do that Petey could really use that winger.  Petey is awesome at finishing play reversals.  

Alvin brought in Heinen he can play both centre and wing like Suter does. But I like Suter at centre and unless Raty is ready to step in as a 3rd liner centre I don't see Suter going anywhere.  He won't cost a lot to resign and we need Heinen on the wing anyways.  

On 8/13/2024 at 2:29 PM, Pure961089 said:

Alvin brought in Heinen he can play both centre and wing like Suter does. But I like Suter at centre and unless Raty is ready to step in as a 3rd liner centre I don't see Suter going anywhere.  He won't cost a lot to resign and we need Heinen on the wing anyways.  

And Heinen doesn’t actually play wing ..

15 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

We could very well have the best power-play in the league this year.

Hughes / Miller / Boeser / DeBrusk / Pettersson;

It absolutely should be a top 5 PP. 

Last year it was roughly the same group, but they had huge stretches of stuggles on the PP. Hopefully an area we can see some improvement and consistency in. 

On 7/1/2024 at 6:54 PM, KesLord said:

Seemingly the roster for the next season is complete (although additions can still be made).

Notables In: 

Debrusk, Heinen, Desharnais, Forbort, Sherwood 

Notables out:

Lindholm, Zadorov, Mikeyev, DeSmith

Curious your projections for the season and for the lineup. 

Players we started with last year 

Kuzmenko, Beauviller, Mikheyev, Lafferty, Cole, DeSmith 

Players we ended the season with

Lindholm, Zadorov, Mikheyev, Lafferty, Cole, Silovs

Players to start the 24-25 season 

DeBrusk, Desharnais, Heinen, Sherwood, Forbort, Sprong, Silovs 

Dark horses: Lekkerimaki and Defenseman Elias Pettersson 

Bubble players: Podkolzin, Aman 

Alvin being able to unload bad seemingly untradeable contracts without mortgaging the future was a work of art.

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

37 minutes ago, Rip The Mesh said:

It's funny how the Canucks didn't skip 1 single beat with #53. Blueger says "Horvat who?"  Lol.  Canucks didn't give not even 10 mins of silence. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1