The 2024-25 Canucks

KesLord

Lekkerimaki and D-Petey are the wildcards of training camp and preseason.  I personally think D-Petey right now would be the Canucks 6th best defenceman, right there with Juulsen.  I think he could make our bottom pair all day long and get better through the season. I know the popular opinion is to let them spend more time developing but I say there's no better place to develop him than right here with Tocchet and Foote.   For D-Petey the place for him to develop and thrive is right here learning the Trade.  He would make the Canucks way faster on defence and he would solve the problem of not having puck movers on defence throughout The D pairings. 

The other one is Lekkerimaki.  I know he probably should start the season in Abby but if he lights it up in training camp and the preseason they have to give him his 9 games.  Remember when they said Petey was underweight and wouldn't make the NHL? Yeah 10 games in and he scored 10 goals.  If Lekkerimaki has a similar start do you send him down anyway?  You can't, how can you? And I can see a scenario where a world like this exists. Have you see our timeline?, if there's any alternate reality where this scenario exists than I don't think you can get crazier than the one we're living in right now.  Need I remind you that Hughes won a Norris, yeah this reality. And we've seen kids playing and surprising teams all the time.  It's happened before and It can happen again.  The bottom line is if he's a fit on aline with Petey and they're producing and look like there's some serious potential.  You have to keep him up.

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1

A lot to be excited about heading into the new season.  Some things I'll be curious to see:

-teams likely now take them more seriously and the fast start of last year will be hard to replicate

-a lot depends on a new power play (approach and players).

- defence will make me nervous (as others have said, a couple injuries will have huge impact)

-has Petey had a reset and whatever was going on in the latter stages of last season is behind him

It's being reported by Rick Dahliwal that Demko still isn't 100% and the Canucks are looking for another goalie.  That being said I remember a few years ago one GM from another team suggest they trade Demko because his playing style is hard on the body and because of that he is susceptible to injury. Canucks fans laughed and said this GM (name and team escape me, need help) just wanted Demko for himself.  Fast-forward about 3-4 years and I hate to say it, but he's had injury problems every year for most of his career.  

On 8/21/2024 at 4:22 PM, Rip The Mesh said:

So I assume officially black skate will be used at least once in 2024-2025 season. 

That means a Fanatics version. I hope they will sell the pro on-ice version for black skate too, the ones made in Canada. They said months ago the on the ice versions will be available, but that was for primary logo and colors. 

1 hour ago, Jaimito said:

So I assume officially black skate will be used at least once in 2024-2025 season. 

That means a Fanatics version. I hope they will sell the pro on-ice version for black skate too, the ones made in Canada. They said months ago the on the ice versions will be available, but that was for primary logo and colors. 

I'm thinking they're going to use it more times then any we've seen yet. TBH, nothing would make me happier (other then a SC), if they went full out 1994

home and away. 

• Cheers 1

For this upcoming season I’m predicting that they will be a little worse in the regular season than last year due to a combination of teams taking them much more seriously than last year and the back end looking a bit worse BUT I feel like they will be a better playoff team having some experience under their belts now in a normal playoff setting as well as the additions of guys like Sherwood and Heinen allowing them to roll 4 lines better and get more offence from the bottom 6 as well as Debrusk and Sprong giving them a more well rounded top 6, all of this as opposed to relying so heavily on the Miller Boeser line for your offense. 

How do you think this conversation went.  I'll say the quiet part out loud.  

"So Stan, from 1 to 10 how far out of your depth are you?"

This organization changed when they stopped treating the team like a good ol' boys club and brought in professionals.  

r952154_1296x729_16-9.jpg

Edited by Pure961089

Been watching some DeBrusk highlights and I noticed him and Heinen had a lot of great chemistry so I checked into it and it turns out they made 2 3rds of a very successful Bruins 2nd line.  why mess with chemistry?  For the same reason you'd never want to separate Joshua and Garland.  I like the look of these lines too

Sprong Miller Boeser

DeBrusk Petey Heinen

I like that Tocchet has way more options this year.  And 200 IQ from Allvin

• Cheers 1

If you’ve been to a Vancouver Canucks game over the past few seasons, you’ve likely seen one of the innovative and captivating pre-game videos.

The team builds anticipation and kickstarts the building’s energy with an exciting hype video before every contest. The only thing you won’t see these world-class hockey players doing much of in these highlight tapes, especially those from more recent years, is actually playing hockey.

You likely won’t see Brock Boeser firing his patented wrist shot, Tyler Myers laying a devastating open-ice hit, or Thatcher Demko pulling out a huge glove save. Instead, the videos feature Canucks players saving the city, fighting off an invasion of artificial intelligence or pulling off a heist, sometimes inspired by popular movies.

The Canucks organization has been on the cutting edge of pre-game entertainment over the past few years. Mike Pohorly is the man behind the scenes making it all happen, from scripting the scenes to producing the video, he wears a variety of hats.

“The Vegas Knights were the ones at the forefront of storytelling for hockey openings and when I saw their show in 2018, I was inspired to try up the ante and make something that felt more like a mini-movie and not just a sports video,” explained Pohorly to Daily Hive in an exclusive interview.

The Canucks were early to hop on the trend thanks to strong support from ownership and other notable figures in the organization.

This style of pre-game opening has spread quickly, not just across the NHL but across the sports industry as a whole. More and more teams are using fun, captivating openings to entertain fans in a different way.

“I’ve been really enjoying seeing other teams doing more cinematic type videos, as it’s not easy to blend movies and sports and not be too cheesy – it’s a fine line, and I’ve definitely crossed it a few times, but the message underneath I’m more concerned about simply having fun and not taking ourselves so seriously,” continued Pohorly.

Part of the idea of keeping the openings light on hockey highlights is that fans are going to see great plays that night live during the game anyway. Why not let them get a glimpse at the stars in a different scenario?

But while the fans may like the idea of getting to see the players in a different light, how do the professional athletes feel about testing out their acting chops? It turns out, it hasn’t been too difficult to get them excited for the different video shoots.

“The players also appreciate our efforts and, without a doubt, they do feed off the energy that the crowd brings every night. [They] have really embraced them and have trusted me that I’m going to make them look as good as possible,” Pohorly explained.

“It’s something that they’re willing to jump in with and give it their best, and then can have fun critiquing each other’s acting skills when the videos come out.”

The Canucks’ pre-game entertainment videos have been acknowledged as some of the best in the industry. They have received multiple recognitions, including recently being named a finalist in the Best Show Open category at the Golden Matrix Awards.