Canucks Cap Situation

RomanPer

There's really no need to bring up Benning anymore. A bulk of this team was derived from Benning - and all his mistakes. However, today FEELS like we had a good mixture of action while intelligently shoring up the lineup.

I feel like Debrusk may be the biggest gamble out of this free agency, akin to Loui Eriksson, but I don't think he'll bust like Loui did. It's not a crazy signing and I feel like there's more to Debrusk.

The other signings are pretty good. I do think it's a little ironic that we're taking on former Bruins players while they took on ours.

I'm excited to see this team as it plays out.

6 hours ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Thank you for starting this topic.  This is incredible news for this team and our fan base.  Seriously... This team has been up against the cap with no flexibility for over a decade! There is a whole generation of canuck fans here that have never seen or known this to be a prudent, disciplined, proactive planning organization ever!  It will take some getting used to! 

So for all we know,  Stammer, Guentzel weren't ever seriously persued.  Too old and to much of a longterm commitment.  Wasn't part of the overall plan and stuck to their plan. 

Now we have a chance to compete long-term with the other well run teams in the league.  This is just the beginning of our window to compete for the cup seriously.  Exciting times!

This is another joy of this management team... They run a tight ship...

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but we will be using LTIR.  Silovs needs to be re-signed.  Personally I don't think he's gonna be under $1M.  I'm thinking closer to $1.5M for him.

37 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but we will be using LTIR.  Silovs needs to be re-signed.  Personally I don't think he's gonna be under $1M.  I'm thinking closer to $1.5M for him.

I think it'll be 1x1 . He was awesome in a bubble but still needs development time. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think it'll be 1x1 . He was awesome in a bubble but still needs development time. 

I think his agent says otherwise.  I think if it was as simple as a 1x1, it'd be done by now.

15 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I think his agent says otherwise.  I think if it was as simple as a 1x1, it'd be done by now.

well, what's his negotiation position really tho. He's not taking anyone's starter job and he's still raw. 

7 hours ago, PureQuickness said:

There's really no need to bring up Benning anymore. A bulk of this team was derived from Benning - and all his mistakes. However, today FEELS like we had a good mixture of action while intelligently shoring up the lineup.

I feel like Debrusk may be the biggest gamble out of this free agency, akin to Loui Eriksson, but I don't think he'll bust like Loui did. It's not a crazy signing and I feel like there's more to Debrusk.

The other signings are pretty good. I do think it's a little ironic that we're taking on former Bruins players while they took on ours.

I'm excited to see this team as it plays out.

This is not about who we signed on July 1 and whether they will work or not. It’s about us no longer being in salary cap hell.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

4 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

well, what's his negotiation position really tho. He's not taking anyone's starter job and he's still raw. 

We just gotta be careful of an offer sheet.  A 3rd round pick is a small price to pay for a young goalie with his upside.  That's the position for Silovs.  Literally if any team comes offering $1.2M or $1.4M or whatever that is above $1.0M, why would he not sign it?  I'm sure his agent would be talking to 31 other teams in the NHL.

• ThereItIs 1

20 minutes ago, HKSR said:

We just gotta be careful of an offer sheet.  A 3rd round pick is a small price to pay for a young goalie with his upside.  That's the position for Silovs.  Literally if any team comes offering $1.2M or $1.4M or whatever that is above $1.0M, why would he not sign it?  I'm sure his agent would be talking to 31 other teams in the NHL.

I guess he could do that, it's a pretty big risk for him tho. He's been in a good situation here, with the best goalie coach in the league guiding him. Seems like a lot to risk for an extra 100k or two. 

Just now, Bob Long said:

I guess he could do that, it's a pretty big risk for him tho. He's been in a good situation here, with the best goalie coach in the league guiding him. Seems like a lot to risk for an extra 100k or two. 

Absolutely, but if he's confident in himself (winning the WC MVP and all), I think he will feel comfortable anywhere he goes.

2 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Absolutely, but if he's confident in himself (winning the WC MVP and all), I think he will feel comfortable anywhere he goes.

I'd be curious to know how the coaches feel about Tolopilo, and how close they are in terms of making the backup or even future starter role. Obviously Silovs is ahead, but by how much?

25 minutes ago, HKSR said:

And what would stop us from matching that offer sheet? Remember, the current cap number includes $900,000 of Tolopilo, so not full Silovs’ contract will be an addition to the current cap number.

• ThereItIs 1

10 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I'd be curious to know how the coaches feel about Tolopilo, and how close they are in terms of making the backup or even future starter role. Obviously Silovs is ahead, but by how much?

Yeah, Tolopilo has some solid potential too.  I do wish we had another really high end goaltender prospect in our system though.  Demko isn't getting any younger.

9 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

And what would stop us from matching that offer sheet? Remember, the current cap number includes $900,000 of Tolopilo, so not full Silovs’ contract will be an addition to the current cap number.

The cap balance of $2.74M remaining doesn't include Tolopilo. 

7 minutes ago, RomanPer said:

Tolopilo is papered to the minors, along with Patera. But we would need to move someone down to Abby, or trade someone out, being at 23 roster players.

5 hours ago, spook007 said:

This is another joy of this management team... They run a tight ship...

allvin said they were very close on guentzel. 

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

a team like anaheim is still $3 mil below the cap floor. maybe they could be incentivized to take poolman. 

Just now, tas said:

a team like anaheim is still $3 mil below the cap floor. maybe they could be incentivized to take poolman. 

Wonder if there's a deal to be made around Podkolzin+Poolman++ for Vatrano?

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Wonder if there's a deal to be made around Podkolzin+Poolman++ for Vatrano?

that's been where my mind is at the last few days. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, tas said:

that's been where my mind is at the last few days. 

Vatrano with Miller and Boeser would be a nice line.

Vatrano-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Debrusk

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

Nice depth.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Anything under 1.5m is good, canucks could run with a 21 man roster and be under cap with Pool on IR. It's very easily done to be cap compliant and not have to use ltir