Canucks Cap Situation

RomanPer

5 minutes ago, tas said:

allvin said they were very close on guentzel. 

I think he meant to be able to make an offer July 1. They weren't willing to burn a pick for his rights .

I think because it would have meant moving Garland and that might have been difficult.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Vatrano with Miller and Boeser would be a nice line.

Vatrano-Miller-Boeser

Hoglander-Petey-Debrusk

Joshua-Blueger-Garland

Heinen-Suter-Sherwood

Nice depth.

I might even put him with petey since I think they're friends. I think they were matched together at the all star game. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

I think he meant to be able to make an offer July 1. They weren't willing to burn a pick for his rights .

I think because it would have meant moving Garland and that might have been difficult.

I think he means they were close to getting him before Tampa freed up the room. 

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Wonder if there's a deal to be made around Podkolzin+Poolman++ for Vatrano?

5 minutes ago, tas said:

that's been where my mind is at the last few days. T

This trade doesn't do anything for the Canucks imo. Podkolzin will take a huge step this year, he is signed cheap for 2 yrs and is only 23. Poolmans cap will be gone next year as will 30 year Vatrano's 3.5 million cap. Sure Vatrano was good on poor Anaheim team last year but I don't see him replicating it on a better team. 

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, VanOriginal said:

This trade doesn't do anything for the Canucks imo. Podkolzin will take a huge step this year, he is signed cheap for 2 yrs and is only 23. Poolmans cap will be gone next year as will 30 year Vatrano's 3.5 million cap. Sure Vatrano was good on poor Anaheim team last year but I don't see him replicating it on a better team. 

tocchet likes vatrano. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, HKSR said:

The net result if Silovs signs for $1.5M is that we would be at $2.74M including LTIR.  Math is here:

So, since Poolman's LTIR hit is $2.5 million, that means that if Silovs signs for $1.5 million, we'd be under the cap (before LTIR) of about 240k?  Just making sure I understand what you're saying here.

7 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

So, since Poolman's LTIR hit is $2.5 million, that means that if Silovs signs for $1.5 million, we'd be under the cap (before LTIR) of about 240k?  Just making sure I understand what you're saying here.

Yep, we should be.  It's a 23 man roster.  Will be nice to accrue some cap for the TDL.

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

1 minute ago, Canuck You said:

I think we need at least 1 more puck-moving nhl caliber d-man..after the top 2 it's nothing. I can see a trade happening.

So we'd be trading Soucy? can't see it.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Artemus said:

I believe that Tocchet also likes Podkolzin.

podkolzin isn't going to contribute 35+ goals on petey's wing this year. vatrano might. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, tas said:

I'll take allvin's word over drance's every time. 

This is from his article today:

"Obviously the Canucks kept a tight lid on information surrounding their intentions in free agency, to the point of breaking nearly all of their own signings themselves, but multiple team sources indicated to The Athletic once the dust settled on Monday that one of the reasons Vancouver didn’t try to trade for Guentzel’s rights is that DeBrusk was their primary top-six forward target all along."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

"Obviously the Canucks kept a tight lid on information surrounding their intentions in free agency, to the point of breaking nearly all of their own signings themselves, but multiple team sources indicated to The Athletic once the dust settled on Monday that one of the reasons Vancouver didn’t try to trade for Guentzel’s rights is that DeBrusk was their primary top-six forward target all along."

Glad I saw in Debrusk what our pro scouts see in him.  I've been vouching for Debrusk for awhile.  His game has absolutely evolved.  He's a much harder player to play against than a few years ago. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • MillerTime 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

and allvin's quote from yesterday was "we were very close with jake (guentzel), but you never know until it's across the finish line."

why trust anonymous "team sources" as reported by drance if the canucks weren't allowing information to leak when you can instead have it straight from the horse's mouth?

Edited by tas

Just now, tas said:

and allvin's white from yesterday was "we were very close with jake (guentzel), but you never know until it's across the finish line."

why trust anonymous "team sources" as reported by drance if the canucks weren't allowing information to leak when you can instead have it straight front the horse's mouth?

I don't think there's a conflict there. Teams have to be in on more than one guy in free agency.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Glad I saw in Debrusk what our pro scouts see in him.  I've been vouching for Debrusk for awhile.  His game has absolutely evolved.  He's a much harder player to play against than a few years ago. 

Yep I'm pumped about it. I got some negativity yesterday for suggesting he could mature like Miller did here. 

I don't know that he has 100 points in him, but 80 with Petey? I can see it.

• Cheers 2

Just now, Bob Long said:

I don't think there's a conflict there. Teams have to be in on more than one guy in free agency.

they were never getting both jakes, so if they were close on guentzel, he must have been their main target. 

allvin said that as of 9:00 am yesterday, debrusk was his first priority (followed by the other guys he got, suggesting he managed to get all of the guys at the top of his list). to me, that means that once Tampa cleared out the room and it became clear guentzel was interested, he shifted his priorities to debrusk. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Bob Long said:

Yep I'm pumped about it. I got some negativity yesterday for suggesting he could mature like Miller did here. 

I don't know that he has 100 points in him, but 80 with Petey? I can see it.

I can see him pushing 30 goals and 70 to 80 points if given more minutes in a top 6 role.  His minutes went up to 18min+ in the playoffs and his production went from 0.5 PPG in the regular season to 0.85 PPG.

• Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Yeah, Tolopilo has some solid potential too.  I do wish we had another really high end goaltender prospect in our system though.  Demko isn't getting any younger.

The cap balance of $2.74M remaining doesn't include Tolopilo. 

We have a 23 man roster without Silovs right now.  $240,833 is our remaining cap space.  If you add Poolman's LTIR then it's $2,740,833.  If we sign Silovs then we would send someone to Abby, most likely Di Giuseppe (would be put on waivers) who is at $775,000.  So we'd be at $3,515,833.  We could sign Silovs up to $1,015,833 to be under the cap.

If we got an offer sheet on Silovs we would simply match and then go into LTIR.  We could make a trade to get under.  But IMO, I think we are making 1-2 more moves before we are done so we'd likely be in LTIR to start the season.

Lekkerimaki could make the team.  If he does I would say Hoglander gets traded.  Ideally, we'd like to have a right shot centre as well.  So Suter might be a trade piece.  This roster is not complete yet.  I wanted Kevin Stenlund for our 4C.  Would have been perfect.  I would have given him the 2x2 and traded Suter.

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tas said:

they were never getting both jakes, so if they were close on guentzel, he must have been their main target. 

allvin said that as of 9:00 am yesterday, debrusk was his first priority (followed by the other guys he got, suggesting he managed to get all of the guys at the top of his list). to me, that means that once Tampa cleared out the room and it became clear guentzel was interested, he shifted his priorities to debrusk. 

They were close on both. Sounds like EDM was also in on debrusk too but we went the extra years.

2 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

They were close on both. Sounds like EDM was also in on debrusk too but we went the extra years.

yeah, but obviously if they had landed guentzel they wouldn't have also got debrusk. no money for that. 

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

We have a 23 man roster without Silovs right now.  $240,833 is our remaining cap space.  If you add Poolman's LTIR then it's $2,740,833.  If we sign Silovs then we would send someone to Abby, most likely Di Giuseppe (would be put on waivers) who is at $775,000.  So we'd be at $3,515,833.  We could sign Silovs up to $1,015,833 to be under the cap.

If we got an offer sheet on Silovs we would simply match and then go into LTIR.  We could make a trade to get under.  But IMO, I think we are making 1-2 more moves before we are done so we'd likely be in LTIR to start the season.

Lekkerimaki could make the team.  If he does I would say Hoglander gets traded.  Ideally, we'd like to have a right shot centre as well.  So Suter might be a trade piece.  This roster is not complete yet.  I wanted Kevin Stenlund for our 4C.  Would have been perfect.  I would have given him the 2x2 and traded Suter.

Who got Stenlund?