Canucks Cap Situation

RomanPer

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Wonder if there's a deal to be made around Podkolzin+Poolman++ for Vatrano?

I appreciate many of your takes.... But you're way to short sighted here by putting Podz in this proposal... As if he's worth very little.  You're going to be so wrong even suggesting his. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Hogs for Pinto? We could use a rhc with upside, and we have space to sign him for a decent term whereas we won't he able to re-sign Hogs after this season with what he'll command. Just spit spitballin'. 

1 minute ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I appreciate many of your takes.... But you're way to short sighted here by putting Podz in this proposal... As if he's worth very little.  You're going to be so wrong even suggesting his. 

I don't think he's worth very little.  Vatrano is a 30 goal scorer at under $4M.  That's some serious value there.  Hence why I think it would cost someone like a Podkolzin to even peak Anaheim's attention at all.

Just now, HKSR said:

I don't think he's worth very little.  Vatrano is a 30 goal scorer at under $4M.  That's some serious value there.  Hence why I think it would cost someone like a Podkolzin to even peak Anaheim's attention at all.

Podz will be worth more than Vatrano by year end... Book it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Hope you're right.  That would transform our forward group.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

you don't get good players AND convince the other team to take on your dead cap contract without giving up something good. it's precisely because podkolzin does (or should) have value that this could be a viable basis for a trade. 

3 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

I'd place a wager on that, for sure. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

4 minutes ago, tas said:

I'd place a wager on that, for sure. 

Do it!  I will be witness to it! lol

5 minutes ago, tas said:

you don't get good players AND convince the other team to take on your dead cap contract without giving up something good. it's precisely because podkolzin does (or should) have value that this could be a viable basis for a trade. 

Yes I agree but it's a mistake to include Podz in any package unless it's a elite prospect or vet player coming back period. 

3 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Done!  What's the wager? 

you tell me. and how are we defining a winner? I'm inclined to say just straight goals/points because that's what this team needs in the top 6. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

you tell me. and how are we defining a winner? I'm inclined to say just straight goals/points because that's what this team needs in the top 6. 

8 minutes ago, Hogs and Podz said:

Done!  What's the wager? 

Should go with points per cap hit or something like that.  Apples to apples. 

4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Not trying to be a Debbie downer, but we will be using LTIR.  Silovs needs to be re-signed.  Personally I don't think he's gonna be under $1M.  I'm thinking closer to $1.5M for him.

Even 1.5 won't put them in LTIR, they will just paper a few guys down and have a 21 man roster to meet the cutoff.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Should go with points per cap hit or something like that.  Apples to apples. 

that doesn't quite work for me. a 25 point player isn't very good, but if podkolzin gets 25 pts, the equivalent per cap dollar from vatrano would be 92. 

I don't think vatrano needs to be a 90+ pt player to show that he's more valuable than a 25 pt podkolzin. 

3 minutes ago, tas said:

that doesn't quite work for me. a 25 point player isn't very good, but if podkolzin gets 25 pts, the equivalent per cap dollar from vatrano would be 92. 

I don't think vatrano needs to be a 90+ pt player to show that he's more valuable than a 25 pt podkolzin. 

if you want to do this but with a baseline of 40 points, that might work. like, both players have to hit 40 points to qualify, and then from that point onwards you could do points per cap dollar. so for every point over 40 that podkolzin scores, vatrano has to score 3.65 for it to be equivalent. 

I think it's fair to say that if podkolzin doesn't hit 40 points he's not a valuable contribution to the top 6. 

Just now, tas said:

That's true...

Might have to just set specific targets... first player to NOT hit the threshold loses...

Baseline targets to show any value at all for either player:

10 goals minimum for Podkolzin

25 goals minimum for Vatrano

Threshold 1:

15 goals for Podkolzin

30 goals for Vatrano

Threshold 2:

20 goals for Podkolzin

35 goals for Vatrano

Threshold 3:

35 points for Podkolzin

60 points for Vatrano

Threshold 4:

40 points for Podkolzin

65 points for Vatrano

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, tas said:

if you want to do this but with a baseline of 40 points, that might work. like, both players have to hit 40 points to qualify, and then from that point onwards you could do points per cap dollar. so for every point over 40 that podkolzin scores, vatrano has to score 3.65 for it to be equivalent. 

I think it's fair to say that if podkolzin doesn't hit 40 points he's not a valuable contribution to the top 6. 

See my post above.

I think he was talking about value.  Can't really use a 40 point threshold for a $1M Podkolzin.  Wouldn't be fair.  If Podkolzin hit 40 points at $1M in cap, he would be a huge commodity around the league.

2 hours ago, tas said:

allvin said they were very close on guentzel. 

Cheers... 

And they may have wanted him... who knows. 
Nobody knew they would be taking DeBrusk, and with the speed they added Heinen, Sherwood and DeBrusk, they definitely had plan B ready, if this really was the case and not smoke screen. 

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, HKSR said:

That's true...

Might have to just set specific targets... first player to NOT hit the threshold loses...

Baseline targets to show any value at all for either player:

10 goals minimum for Podkolzin

25 goals minimum for Vatrano

Threshold 1:

15 goals for Podkolzin

30 goals for Vatrano

Threshold 2:

20 goals for Podkolzin

35 goals for Vatrano

Threshold 3:

35 points for Podkolzin

60 points for Vatrano

Threshold 4:

40 points for Podkolzin

65 points for Vatrano

@Hogs and Podz @tas  Ready?  lol

@Elias Pettersson So forcing them into this haha

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, HKSR said:

See my post above.

I think he was talking about value.  Can't really use a 40 point threshold for a $1M Podkolzin.  Wouldn't be fair.  If Podkolzin hit 40 points at $1M in cap, he would be a huge commodity around the league.

but if we're taking straight up bang for the buck as value, that doesn't move the needle for me, because for me and this specific situation, making a meaningful contribution to the top 6 is the baseline for value. 

this team needs goals this year, not a sign they might get some a year or 3 from now. 

Edited by tas

3 minutes ago, tas said:

but if we're taking straight up bang for the buck as value, that doesn't move the needle for me, because for me and this specific situation, making a meaningful contribution to the top 6 is the baseline for value. 

this team needs goals this year, not a sign they might get some a year or 3 from now. 

He said "Podz will be worth more than Vatrano by year end" which if true, Podz could be flipped for a Top 6 guy.  If Podz put up 20 goals and 45 points this year, I'd venture to say if you traded him, you could probably land a player like Buchnevich then.  So there is some merit to what he's saying if we're talking about straight value.