[Signing] Victor Hedman extends with Tampa

Posted (edited)

Lol, no issues with the teams in tax free states. Nope, nothing. Nothing to see here. All good, carry on. All square. NHL isn't corrupt, not at all.

Edited by Rekker
  • Cheers 2

Still cant believe what they did to Stamkos. Guentzel is 5 years younger? Bye Stamkos. Your loyalty, the discount that you took on your last contract, the cups that you brought the team all down the drain lol pretty unheard of in hockey. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Yet some people think players should show loyalty to teams by taking discounts.  

I'm waiting for a player to file a grievance/lawsuit against a team that tries to break contract language, by asking a player to waive his NTC.

-----------------

I'd like to see a league mandated penalty- like the team that asks for the waiving of clauses has to pay the player a $10 mill penalty- and all remaining term.

----------------------------------

Or no more of these clauses are allowed- for anyone.

1 hour ago, iinatcc said:

yeah I guess I know why Stamkos was pissed 

If Hedman had taken a bit less they both could have stayed, twin 5.5-6M deals probably would have done it. 

52 minutes ago, qwijjibo said:

Yet some people think players should show loyalty to teams by taking discounts.  

Yeaaaah, it doesn't usually make sense for players to take discounts. At least not significant discounts. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Coconuts said:

If Hedman had taken a bit less they both could have stayed, twin 5.5-6M deals probably would have done it. 

Yeaaaah, it doesn't usually make sense for players to take discounts. At least not significant discounts. 

all of our signings did take small discounts. They do it in recognition of a chance to do something special. 

Hedman is awesome, I don't know that the last 1 or 2 years will live up to the 8 but he's earned it already.

Even though they pay state taxes when on the road, one has to think this lowers AAV. There should be a cap forgiveness (even 4%) for teams in areas that pay state/provincial taxes. This would level the playing field. The problem is that the NHL doesn't want the playing field level because the low tax states hold teams in non traditional markets so it benefits the league if those teams are advantaged/successful.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Bob Long said:

all of our signings did take small discounts. They do it in recognition of a chance to do something special. 

Hedman is awesome, I don't know that the last 1 or 2 years will live up to the 8 but he's earned it already.

Small discounts, yeah, that happens. Big ones? Typically not. 

And he is, and he did, but it's still gotta be a bit of a slap in the face to Stamkos. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'm waiting for a player to file a grievance/lawsuit against a team that tries to break contract language, by asking a player to waive his NTC.

-----------------

I'd like to see a league mandated penalty- like the team that asks for the waiving of clauses has to pay the player a $10 mill penalty- and all remaining term.

----------------------------------

Or no more of these clauses are allowed- for anyone.

Would there be a penalty for a player under contract asking for a trade like Debrusk did?

12 minutes ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Even though they pay state taxes when on the road, one has to think this lowers AAV. There should be a cap forgiveness (even 4%) for teams in areas that pay state/provincial taxes. This would level the playing field. The problem is that the NHL doesn't want the playing field level because the low tax states hold teams in non traditional markets so it benefits the league if those teams are advantaged/successful.

Bingo

11 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Would there be a penalty for a player under contract asking for a trade like Debrusk did?

If Debrusk had a NTC- then yes.

If a player, with such a clause asks for a trade- then he should be tradeable to any team, and get hit with a $1 million fine- which could go to topping up long time retired players pensions, or some such thing.

-----------------------------

Just get rid of NMC and NTC all together, would be my preference.

Good deal. Definitely a discount, even if he is slowing down. Depend on how he ages, it might not be so good later on.

Even though Hedman is older, for someone who's been one of the best D in the league and will continue to be, he's been such a bargain on his last contract and this deal very team friendly too.

He'll cost Tampa only 750k more than Hronek will cost us.