[Signing] Buchnevich signs 6x8M

4 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Love Brock and hope he continues last year's results but I think Brock go bye bye then. Mgmt has set the bar now with a majority of their signings. I see a longer term deal at $7Mx5ish or they move on.

I see the opposite. I think if he mirrors last year in any way shape or form they do everything they can to keep him. Heavy, scores, responsible, great chemistry with miller. 

guess we’ll see. 

9 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

I see the opposite. I think if he mirrors last year in any way shape or form they do everything they can to keep him. Heavy, scores, responsible, great chemistry with miller. 

guess we’ll see. 

Yeah we have lots of cap space to work with next year.  Brock extending won't be an issue at all.  Even if it costs us $8M AAV.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Poor Brock, he's damned if does well & damned if he doesn't. IMO

He didn't score 30 goals until this season and people wanted to run him outta town cause he wasn't living up to his contract. 

He scores 40 and preforms/out preforms his contract and we're worried he'll probably get more than $7.5 mill a season if he preforms

at or near that level next season.

By most accounts people and players love him, but damned if he isn't a lightening rod for criticism in Vancouver. LOL     

Edited by Blitz-Pix

6 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yeah we have lots of cap space to work with next year.  Brock extending won't be an issue at all.  Even if it costs us $8M AAV.

So what I’m reading is NOW is the time to extend Boeser before his stock goes way up and while the cap % is at this current salary cap and not next years salary cap. 

Re-sign Boeser for $7.5M x 8yrs.

16 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not really, next year's the first of the big cap hits for OEL buyout. 

1 hour ago, AK-19 said:

That's got to be the worst contract signed during Free Agency so far. 

That edmunson one is head scratching, I like Buch for at least 5/6 years sooo. OEL and Tanev till 40 is prob some of the worst tbh.

Just now, AK-19 said:

Not really, next year's the first of the big cap hits for OEL buyout. 

Did the math already.  Loads of cap space available.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BPA said:

So what I’m reading is NOW is the time to extend Boeser before his stock goes way up and while the cap % is at this current salary cap and not next years salary cap. 

Re-sign Boeser for $7.5M x 8yrs.

In a perfect world, I think we'd all prefer to see a 5 or 6 year term.

Brock can put pucks in the net, but he isn't the fleetist of foot....can't imagine what a 35-36 year old Boeser's speed would look like in year 7 or 8  

Just now, Blitz-Pix said:

In a perfect world, I think we'd all prefer to see a 5 or 6 year term.

Brock can put pucks in the net, but he isn't the fleetist of foot....can't imagine what a 35-36 year old Boeser's speed would look like in year 7 or 8  

In a perfect world, yes.  Not a perfect world though.  Boeser's camp will absolutely want 8 years... or at least 7.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, HKSR said:

In a perfect world, yes.  Not a perfect world though.  Boeser's camp will absolutely want 8 years... or at least 7.

I agree...and I feel like he'll be getting a contract that start's with an $8

Depends on the CAP and how he does this season though.

Edited by Blitz-Pix

Posted (edited)

Well, if Brock performs at a level reasonably close to this past season AND he gets locked up for a minimum of 6 years, then the core of Petey, JT, Jake, Brock, Huggy and Honker are all going to be on contracts that will age VERY well as the cap continues to increase. 

At the risk of stating the obvious, the core locked up for value contracts will keep the Canucks window of contending open for quite some time. Imagine if Huggy, Honker, Petey, etc. were due for contract extensions in a year or two instead of all having be locked up (except Brock) well into the future. 

Nice work by management.

EDIT: ya, I to liked Buckwheat until I saw this contract. Thank goodness he wasn't traded for.

Edited by Rocket-68
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I agree...and I feel like he'll be getting a contract that start's with an $8

Depends on how he does this season though.

Yeah... if he puts up 40 again, it'll be $8.x.  If he puts up 30ish, it'll be $7.5Mish.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Rocket-68 said:

Well, if Brock performs at a level reasonably close to this past season AND he gets locked up for a minimum of 6 years, then the core of Petey, JT, Jake, Brock, Huggy and Honker are all going to be on contracts that will age VERY well as the cap continues to increase. 

At the risk of stating the obvious, the core locked up for value contracts will keep the Canucks window of contending open for quite some time. Imagine if Huggy, Honker, Petey, etc. were due for contract extensions in a year or two instead of all having be locked up (except Brock) well into the future. 

Nice work by management.

Give props to Émilie Castonguay... I firmly believe she's the mastermind behind the dancing of the cap, present and future.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Esmond said:

I think 8M will be the ceiling for Brock.. no more than JT.

With rising cap that is not realistic, no more than the % of cap when JT signed but he’ll likely come in at a higher AAV 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Dizzle said:

Brock gonna get paid.... 

This is Brock we are talking about. As long as it is something reasonable, prince charming is gonna sign on the dotted line in a heart beat. 

2 hours ago, Dizzle said:

guess we’ll see. 

Maybe they go up on AAV a bit but hard to see them going more than 5 years with his injury history. That would take him to 33 yoa and the same term Miller has left.

3 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Maybe they go up on AAV a bit but hard to see them going more than 5 years with his injury history. That would take him to 33 yoa and the same term Miller has left.

If this year has taught me anything… if you feel like 5 years will get it done, it will probably require 7. 

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Agreed.  Guaranteed Brocks agent will tell him to either get the 8 yr term from Van or hit UFA and get the 7.  Hes 27yo, he's UFA after this extensions done and he'll be in his absolute prime.  He will be seeking a career-defining contract that will set him and the next 4 generations of his family up financially and his Agent will absolute be reminding him of all these points. 

I get it, he likes it here, he went through tough times here,  he's well liked here, but business is business.

I remember we wanted to trade for this player. He has been a ppg player. He regressed last yr but so did the entire blues team.

I think Brock is going to have a big year. It's his contract year so should be very motivated. 

48 minutes ago, Dizzle said:

If this year has taught me anything… if you feel like 5 years will get it done, it will probably require 7. 

With external UFAs not necessarily internal UFAs. I assume Brock wants to stay and I can't see mgmt paying him the same as Miller. Hopefully $7.5x5 gets it done (assuming he hits at least 30 G and 60 P next season).

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

I think so, particularly if he puts up 30-40 goals 

Brocks already at 6.65M though, so 8M really isn't that big a jump considering how the cap will keep rising 

I think folks are gonna have to get used to the numbers getting bigger at a much faster rate now that we're seeing cap jumps again, that's if this year's free agency is anything to go off of

Why not just raise the cap to 200 million?

Well because owners will just spend to that, and it will need to go up again to accommodate salaries 

• Huggy Bear 1

30 minutes ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

With external UFAs not necessarily internal UFAs. I assume Brock wants to stay and I can't see mgmt paying him the same as Miller. Hopefully $7.5x5 gets it done (assuming he hits at least 30 G and 60 P next season).

If Brock produces anywhere close to what he did this year and then signs a 7.5x5 contract I will eat my socks.