Winners and Losers in Free Agency

How well did the Canucks do in Free Agency?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. How well did the Canucks do on the first day of free agency.

• One of the top 3 or 4 performances in the league.
    • Not in the top group, but still very good (top third)
    • Not bad but not great (middle third)
    • Poorly (bottom third)

I think we got sneaky better in the F group. Looking at the new line combos, we have a pain in the butt player on each line, and we've likely done a good job increasing secondary scoring. We're also faster and grittier. 

On d, we didn't take a step back in play (depends on if you think Z was actually a deterrent) but it's a bit of an experiment. If Foote can do with Vinnie what he did with Myers it could be really fun. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)

with limited cap space PA and JR made this team Grittier and Harder to play against depending on how the defense plays its not going to be quite the same on d it could be worse or it could get better no idea Penalty Kill will be even better next season I think. Really hoping Desharnais really hits a new level with the coaching staff. Vancouver needs a puck mover in the bottom 4 but we'll see how the coaching staff handles the bottom 4

Edited by Shekky
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Canucks didn't make "sexy" moves but they added speed and tenacity up front and added more size on the back. All the moves helped make the Canucks harder to play against.

If you watch videos of DeBrusk he's got good speed and scores most of his goals from in close. DeBrusk driving the net is gonna open up more room for his linemates to make plays and get shots off. DeBrusk's net front presence should help on the PP as well.

I really like the signing of Sherwood. Great skater with a good motor that likes to hit. I saw something that another member here posted and it mentioned that Quinn Hughes seemed the most excited about the Sherwood signing and about how Sherwood had "pissed off" the Canucks in the playoffs with his style of play.

Forbort and Desharnais will help on the PK. DeBrusk and Heinen can both contribute to the PK too. Sherwood hasn't had much experience on the PK, but I think he will get a shot to help out on the PK as well.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • ThereItIs 1

Canucks did well with the cap they had. 

Only real gamble is Desharnais but it isn’t a huge one. 

I give them a tentative B. Could be higher or worse depending how the season goes in regards of how we addressed the issues we tried to fix. 

I very much like the approach management took. I am sad that we couldn't bring Lindholm and Zadorov back, but I'm also glad management was firm and didn't sacrifice the overall team picture just to bring them back.

Our forward group is much deeper and I'm glad that Pettersson finally has a winger in Debrusk. I'm confident our coaches can help Debrusk find some more consistency, as it sounds like when he's on, he's on and is a legitimate top 6 forward.

Our defense overall is deeper with bottom pairing options, but we're still missing that true D who can carry that second pairing. All this to say that I see the Canucks as one of the winners. I'm confident this will show in the season as long as the team is able to gel. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

We won for sure..Didn't sign dumb long-term contracts expiring with players getting close to 40.

Made our team irritating as heck to play.

We will have leverage with the shorter term contracts where teams will be stuck committed to shitty long-term contracts trying to off-load in the next few yrs.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, cripplereh said:

I really think this team needs another 25-30 goal scorer.

Best thing is to trade for one players like Hogs,Podz, Karlsson,Bains and picks.

Another problem is staying under the cap.

I mean we have 4 guys with that capability + now with Debrusk:

Boeser: 30-40

Petey: 35+

Miller: 35+

Debrusk: 20-40

Joshua: 15-25

Garland: 15-25

Hoglander: 15-20+

Heinen: 15-20

Sherwood: 10-15

Suter: 10-15

Blueger: 5-10

Hughes: 20

Hronek: 5-10

Myers: 5

Soucy: 5

Bottom pairing and depth guys combined: 15-25

Lower end projection: 255 total goals

Maybe its bullish of me to expect minim 35 from each Miller and Petey but I do. And I also expect Q to get or get close to 20 next year. But its a pretty conservative projection otherwise.

Especially considering the amount of functional speed we've added to the lineup and the system changes toc has hinted to to increase offensive opportunities I think we are going to be a really fun team to watch next year.

Not to mention our PP shouldn't drop off a cliff like it did as long as Petey doesn't disappear with a case of knee tendonitis again and jake does fit in.

Edited by R3aL
I
  • Cheers 2

Nashville was a very well coached team and tough to play against. They just lacked scoring.

If they can stay healthy they can take a run. Given Saros and Josi they have a good team. 

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Nashville was a very well coached team and tough to play against. They just lacked scoring.

If they can stay healthy they can take a run. Given Saros and Josi they have a good team. 

They definitely got some quality pieces, a little long in the tooth though and not sure if they'll mesh together well. They will be an interesting team to keep an eye on.

As much as I hate to admit it, I think Edmonton got much better and added even more scoring depth in Skinner, Arvidsson and bringing back Henrique.

They're also $2.5 million over the CAP and still have 2 RFA's to sign. (Holloway & Broberg). Think they'll look at dumping Kane (with a sweetner) on someone

like Anaheim who is currently below the CAP floor.

Colorado also looks like they are in CAP hell as well, (Ya baby. LOL) so should be interesting to see what shakes out before training camp.

The Washington Capitals are currently $13.3 million over the CAP limit...don't even now how that's possible.

I thought you could only exceed the CAP by 10% in the offseason.   

Looking like Anaheim could be the new (Arizona) dumping ground for bad contracts. 

Edited by Blitz-Pix
  • Cheers 2

Can't really stand Steve Dangle, but saw  this video.

You know they're good signings when a Toronto biased podcast/channel can't really say any bad things. Plus they've gotten a good look at Debrusk, Heinen, and Forbort and it's good that they're happy they're out of their conference.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, ngoway said:

Can't really stand Steve Dangle, but saw  this video.

You know they're good signings when a Toronto biased podcast/channel can't really say any bad things. Plus they've gotten a good look at Debrusk, Heinen, and Forbort and it's good that they're happy they're out of their conference.

I actually don't mind him. He's obviously leaf biased but at least he doesn't hide that and pretend to be neutral (okay I admit I find his meltdowns entertaining and might have felt a little sorry for him). This is also one of the podcasts that don't mind talking about sensitive topics that others would choose to avoid (ex. Rick Westhead was invited on their show a few times). His co-hosts Adam Wylde was cheering for Canucks against Preds and Jesse Blake was the only one who predicted Canucks to be one of the top in the division before the season started. They sometimes have weird takes but their show is generally entertaining.

To your point, yes I think almost everyone in the media agree Canucks had a pretty successful free agency day. 

49 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

May be an image of 2 people, people playing hockey and text

They have 3.9m in cap space and 19 players signed without taking into account LTIR nor whatever Nich will be. Pretty easy to get to 23 in that scenario. Frank is just trying to be a fan boy on the mess they have Edm in the next couple years.

• Thanks 1

We improved our floor but probably didn't improve our ceiling much. 

Only issue is we did not keep up with the Oilers. We better hope Demko is the difference that can bridge the gap. 

• Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, 24K said:

We improved our floor but probably didn't improve our ceiling much. 

Only issue is we did not keep up with the Oilers. We better hope Demko is the difference that can bridge the gap. 

I disagree. All they did was add small one dimensional defensive liabilities while we added strong two-way players who can skate and hit and have offensive upside. 

• Vintage 1
  • ThereItIs 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, R3aL said:

I mean we have 4 goals with that capability + now with Debrusk:

Boeser: 30-40

Petey: 35+

Miller: 35+

Debrusk: 20-40

Joshua: 15-25

Garland: 15-25

Hoglander: 15-20+

Heinen: 15-20

Sherwood: 10-15

Suter: 10-15

Blueger: 5-10

Hughes: 20

Hronek: 5-10

Myers: 5

Soucy: 5

Bottom pairing and depth guys combined: 15-25

Lowed end projection: 255 total goals

Maybe its bullish of me to expect minim 35 form each Miller and Petey but I do. And I also expect Q to get or get close to 20 next year. But its a pretty conservative projection otherwise.

Especially considering the amount of functional speed we've added to the lineup and the system changes toc has hinted to to increase offensive opportunities I think we are going to be a really fun team to watch next year.

Not to mention our PP shouldn't drop off a cliff like it did as long as Petey doesn't disappear with a case of knee tendonitis again and jake does fit in.

unpopular take i think EP is going to be around the 20 goal mark... you can rip me all you want for being negative.. EP had 7 goals since the all star break 3 of them are from the PP.. you almost have to be blind and oblivous to see there's no one he's playing with is setting him up 5v5 ever since kuzmenko is gone.. debrusk sure is a nice 40-50 point guy that can score 20-25 goals consistently.. but he just like hoglander.. don't really have the playmaking ability.. that's why i was desperate for a guentzel.. because he can score and he can setup.. i'm lookinag at the likely debrusk ep hoglander line and i just don't see where EP will get his goals from we already saw the lack of offensive awareness from hoglander in the playoff when he turns back multiple time instead of passing it to a wide open streaking ep..

Edited by wai_lai416