[Signing] Motte to Detroit

Always liked Motte and rooting for him to have a good year to get a longer contract.

He does everything you could ask for from a bottom six. I also remember Bedard said Motte was his favorite player which says a lot. 

• Cheers 1

I wonder if players like Motte if it would be better for him to sign like an 8 year contract at 900k-1million a season rather than bouncing around being a journeyman hoping to get a bigger payout at some point.

14 hours ago, Theo5789 said:

I wonder if players like Motte if it would be better for him to sign like an 8 year contract at 900k-1million a season rather than bouncing around being a journeyman hoping to get a bigger payout at some point.

Problem is, no team is willing to make that kind of commitment, especially for a player many teams consider replaceable and without that "high end talent" that's normally tied to the higher value contracts.

14 hours ago, Theo5789 said:

Very few bottom 6 players get that kind of security only one that comes to mind is Cizikas 

30 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Problem is, no team is willing to make that kind of commitment, especially for a player many teams consider replaceable and without that "high end talent" that's normally tied to the higher value contracts.

Yeah but at such a low cap hit, you can waive them/trade them. Maybe they blossom into something better. I think it's more on the players hoping they can be something more than a 4th liner and get a higher pay than a team not wanting to do it. But I just think some players should know their roles and aim for security instead of bouncing around team to team hoping to get a job next season.

• Cheers 1

27 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Very few bottom 6 players get that kind of security only one that comes to mind is Cizikas 

I think Vancouver was willing to give him some term, but at a lower cap, he chose to test free agency. Of course not 8 years as my over exaggerated example was, but the point is I would think some players would prefer security instead of bouncing around from team to team.

• Cheers 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Theo5789 said:

Yeah but at such a low cap hit, you can waive them/trade them. Maybe they blossom into something better. I think it's more on the players hoping they can be something more than a 4th liner and get a higher pay than a team not wanting to do it. But I just think some players should know their roles and aim for security instead of bouncing around team to team hoping to get a job next season.

I think it's both - the player and the team don't want to get into that kind of commitment, the player for financial reasons and the team for flexibility reasons.  At least, that's my perception of it.

edit, just to expand on the team part, if you have a bottom-6 replaceable guy sitting there with an 8-year contract, and he's just good enough that the prospects with potential can't outplay him, but he's not good enough to take you to the silver chalice, then what do you do?  Keep him because he's better than the prospects?  Or take a risk and trade/waive him to bring up a prospect that might not pan out in the end?

Edited by 6of1_halfdozenofother

9 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

I think it's both - the player and the team don't want to get into that kind of commitment, the player for financial reasons and the team for flexibility reasons.  At least, that's my perception of it.

edit, just to expand on the team part, if you have a bottom-6 replaceable guy sitting there with an 8-year contract, and he's just good enough that the prospects with potential can't outplay him, but he's not good enough to take you to the silver chalice, then what do you do?  Keep him because he's better than the prospects?  Or take a risk and trade/waive him to bring up a prospect that might not pan out in the end?

If he's legitimately better than the prospects, then the prospect hasn't earned that particular spot yet. If a prospect beats him in camp, then yes you waive him/trade him. Cap hit is low enough that it won't affect your cap space and no different than lots of signings that end up being one way and getting sent to the minors anyway. If there's a guy that you like in that role, I don't see why not. Motte in particular was a fan favourite. Bottom 6 guys may be replaceable, but if you find that guy you like, why bother constantly changing if he's willing to sign for a bottom 6 price tag for longer term? I really don't see much issue from the team side. It really has to be mostly on the player side.

And that's why I'm wondering for guys that have become journeymen scraping for contracts every year if they would prefer the security and maybe do get underpaid for a couple of seasons. Of course they're gambling on themselves and hoping to land that bigger contract.

He plays bigger than his size which seems to end up with him getting injured everywhere he goes. But he also seems to become a fan favorite at every stop. Glad to see him get another contract.

Motte doesn't fit into the Canuck timeline anymore. Glad he got another contract but glad PA passed. 

It seems that Stevie Y has developed some inconsistency in his development plan. He has signed a lot more vets. I suspect the outcome is questionable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boudrias said:

Motte doesn't fit into the Canuck timeline anymore. Glad he got another contract but glad PA passed. 

It seems that Stevie Y has developed some inconsistency in his development plan. He has signed a lot more vets. I suspect the outcome is questionable. 

Ya they seem like a middling team - hard to understand the path forward to the playoffs in the near future unless some of their prospects hit soon and most appear to be a few years away.

1 minute ago, NoCupSyndrome said:

Ya they seem like a middling team - hard to understand the path forward to the playoffs in the near future unless some of their prospects hit soon and most appear to be a few years away.

But eastern media says he's a genius so you must be missing something.

22 hours ago, Screw said:

His biggest mistake was leaving Vancouver.

He didn't choose to leave Vancouver, Allvin traded him at the TDL. He is extremely unlucky because he became free agent during COVID flat cap, and never got a fair value contract for what he brings to the team.

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, RJCF96 said:

He didn't choose to leave Vancouver, Allvin traded him at the TDL. He is extremely unlucky because he became free agent during COVID flat cap, and never got a fair value contract for what he brings to the team.

They tried to sign him and he wanted more cash than the team was offering.  

He would have been better off financially accepting the offer from Vancouver which was actually more term and more money than what he got as a UFA if I recall correctly.

Edited by Screw